2012 US Presidential Election Superthread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I always think my vote counts. Especially as a woman. We had to work to even have the right to vote. I never take that for granted.
I understand what you're saying, but do you think you would still feel that your voice counted if your were a republican in your state voting in the presidential election?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen

You mean Dixville Notch? What's the other one? Dixville was 5/5 Romney /Obama.
Yes, and Hart's Location is the other, where Obama surprisingly easily won.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #333
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Keep in mind that in 2000 the election was decided by a less than 600 vote difference in Florida. That's only a few people saying that one vote won't make a difference.
yeah, exactly. your vote always matters and makes a difference. i live in a red state, but there's at least a chance we'll go blue. if i'd gone "fuck it" and voted third party, there's a lesser chance we'd go blue right there. even for something like a more localised election like a senator, it matters.

if you live somewhere like alabama or somewhere in new england where they're incredibly red or blue and there's not even a chance of the state turning even purple, i still look at it as wasting an opportunity to try. this whole trying to change the system by voting third party won't work. i notice my post where i stated our voting system lends itself to a two-party system got completely ignored. anything to keep making the case for third party votes i guess.

i wouldn't advocate speeding because you disagree with the speed limit laws or committing a particular felony because you think it should be a misdemeanour. this system of trying to change the way things are by doing the opposite doesn't work. people have railed against tipping for years by not tipping and have only made themselves look like jerks to their friends and waiters. restaurant owners haven't come any closer to seeing the light and paying waiters a liveable wage.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier

Been in line for over half an hour so far.

Lots of professional under 40s in line.

It's such a crock that voting is on a Tuesday. People have to get to work. I'm glad I have some flexibility but I can see why some people -- particularly the poor, working 2 jobs and likely harder than most of us -- might just say, "fuggit."

Memphis brought me a scone. That was nice.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #335
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico

I understand what you're saying, but do you think you would still feel that your voice counted if your were a republican in your state voting in the presidential election?
I didn't say anything about Republican, I'd still feel the same. It has nothing to do with party for me. Even in the state I live in. I was talking about not voting and saying that your vote doesn't count.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan

Yes, and Hart's Location is the other, where Obama surprisingly easily won.
Where the heck is that? Sorry, I'm ignorant about little towns like that. In MA too.

Another thing about not voting. Look at all the people who lost everything in Sandy. And they're getting out to vote.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511

It's such a crock that voting is on a Tuesday. People have to get to work. I'm glad I have some flexibility but I can see why some people -- particularly the poor, working 2 jobs and likely harder than most of us -- might just say, "fuggit".
That's why absentee and early voting is so important. Even the early voting places had huge lines. So at least some people will make every effort and they are.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #338
Blue Crack Supplier

Still in line ...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #339
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
I always think my vote counts. Especially as a woman. We had to work to even have the right to vote. I never take that for granted.
yes I fully believe in this too (and always have) as a woman.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I didn't say anything about Republican, I'd still feel the same. It has nothing to do with party for me. Even in the state I live in. I was talking about not voting and saying that your vote doesn't count.
My apologies. I was trying (and did a poor job of it) to make a point about the Electoral College. Your state and the current state I reside in are notorious for going blue with each presidential election. Some colleagues (who often vote republican) of mine from both states feel like their votes don't matter. Yet, they vote every election.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #341
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Been in line for over half an hour so far.

Lots of professional under 40s in line.

It's such a crock that voting is on a Tuesday. People have to get to work. I'm glad I have some flexibility but I can see why some people -- particularly the poor, working 2 jobs and likely harder than most of us -- might just say, "fuggit."

Memphis brought me a scone. That was nice.
My father has never voted in my lifetime because of work.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Where the heck is that? Sorry, I'm ignorant about little towns like that. In MA too.
It's near Mt. Washington.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unico

My apologies. I was trying (and did a poor job of it) to make a point about the Electoral College. Your state and the current state I reside in are notorious for going blue with each presidential election. Some colleagues (who often vote republican) of mine from both states feel like their votes don't matter. Yet, they vote every election.
No I got the point you were making . They should vote. It's corny and people will roll their eyes- but people in other countries would love to have the elections that we do. As messed up as politics are here. I still remember those purple/blue fingers in Iraq.

And a 14 year old girl was shot in the head by the Taliban for daring to speak out about education for girls. For me personally, that kills me and makes me appreciate my rights even more.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan

It's near Mt. Washington.
Oh OK. I went up Mt. Washington when I was a kid. Haven't been there since. Close but not there. Funny that it's called a location , it must be tiny.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No I got the point you were making . They should vote. It's corny and people will roll their eyes- but people in other countries would love to have the elections that we do. As messed up as politics are here. I still remember those purple/blue fingers in Iraq.

And a 14 year old girl was shot in the head by the Taliban for daring to speak out about education for girls. For me personally, that kills me and makes me appreciate my rights even more.
I'm not speaking about the right to vote. I'm simply talking about your "my vote counts" statement. Because if you happen to vote in opposition to what the electoral college typically votes for in your state, then it does not. It's an archaic system and I don't see what purpose it serves here any more.