2012 US Presidential Election Superthread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
3rd party voters, WTF???

There are two possibilities and only two, after the election either Obama or Romney will be president. You can weigh in by voting for one of them, or just don't vote.

Voting for any of the 3rd party candidates has the same effect as not voting, except you are someone that went to the polls and went through all the motions of voting only to have your vote have as much value as all the people that do not vote.
Now, I know what you are thinking, you wanted to vote your conscience. Why choose a 3rd party candidate. Why not write in MLK JR. or Gandhi or Abraham Lincoln?
These are all great preferences, if you only want people to know who your real preference is, if it could be anyone but one of the only two real candidates.
perhaps I should write in, Angelina Jolie. She's a great person and choice .

Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #272
Refugee

Local Time: 05:09 PM
I think the point of voting for a 3rd party is to raise issues that person stands for. And also, people who don't want to vote for someone who basically bought the election...for example, the "Big two" have spent around a billion dollars...Imagine if that money went to something better, like cancer research.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life

That's a pretty narrow-minded statement.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLanePHINS View Post
I think the point of voting for a 3rd party is to raise issues that person stands for. And also, people who don't want to vote for someone who basically bought the election...for example, the "Big two" have spent around a billion dollars...Imagine if that money went to something better, like cancer research.

and that has as much value as writing down, John Galt.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life

If you, along with the rest of this country, could break out of that narrow-minded thought process, we could actually have options to choose from!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
If you, along with the rest of this country, could break out of that narrow-minded thought process, we could actually have options to choose from!

and this is what brought us Bush in 2000 and 8 years of unspeakable ruin.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
No we wouldn't. The only way that we would have options to choose from is with the elimination of the winner-take-all system that almost every state uses for appropriation of electoral votes, as well as the elimination of the provision sending electoral college votes without a majority to the House. My dream world would have an instant-runoff-based popular vote.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
No we wouldn't. The only way that we would have options to choose from is with the elimination of the winner-take-all system that almost every state uses for appropriation of electoral votes, as well as the elimination of the provision sending electoral college votes without a majority to the House. My dream world would have an instant-runoff-based popular vote.
Well that's a completely different story. I was more just referring to not being stuck between mayo and mustard when you want ketchup.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and this is what brought us Bush in 2000 and 8 years of unspeakable ruin.
The Electoral College brought you Bush. The nation spoke, and the nation wanted Gore. Florida spoke, and Florida was dead evenly divided between Bush and Gore.

And why does it always have to be such a bad thing? What about Ross Perot in 92 and 96? I strongly do not believe in '2nd place votes', but his candidacy either did nothing or gave the elections to Clinton. The Libertarian platform arguably takes more votes away from Republicans anyways.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

it is not a choice of mayo, mustard or ketchup

it is the beginning of the World Series and this season, you can bet on Detroit or SF.

but some of you are Sox fans or Cubs fans, you say your favorite team is the best
you can bet your money on them, the bookie will take your money.
And when I tell you that you are wasting your money, you can call me narrow minded. But only Tigers or SF bettors have a chance to win.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
3rd party voters, WTF???

Voting for any of the 3rd party candidates has the same effect as not voting, except you are someone that went to the polls and went through all the motions of voting only to have your vote have as much value as all the people that do not vote.
Except that I'm casting forty votes on my ballot tomorrow, not just one. I guess if to you that one doesn't count you can think that but it's not the same as not voting because not voting means not casting any of the forty votes. If it were a close call in my state I would (and will) absolutely vote red or blue. If there is already a clear winner half an hour from the polls closing then I might as well stick it to 'em and vote third party POTUS (or write someone in).
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

I salute you for those other 39 votes, they are important and matter. I just wrote a longer post in the other thread about voting on all ballot items. I could have said that vote will have as much effect as leaving it blank on the outcome of the winner. Voting for one of the two possible winners, your vote will be included in the dialouge.

Everyone knows that Gore won the national popular vote by approx 500,000. No one can tell me how many votes Nader got nationally. We know what votes he got in FL and perhaps NH. Aside form that no one cares.

A Stein, Ron Paul, Johnson, Roseanne Barr vote all have the same value. It seems most all of the Stein voters are saying if their vote mattered they would probably vote for Obama. Obama should/ could win this national vote by say 3%. If in all the safe states, 40 plus of them, if 5% of the progressive voters that prefer Obama over Romney vote for Stein, what will that do to the national vote? Romney could win by 1,000,0000 to 3,000,000 votes. If that happens a EC vote winner Obama would find himself without support of many purple state Dems in both the House and Senate. None of his appointments would be approved.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

I have heard it said more than once, that this is

The most important election in our lifetimes!!!

for the record, and with all certitude, that is bullshit.

The most important election in our lifetimes was 2000
and we got it wrong,
that is the biggest reason we are in the deep shit we are in now.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #284
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I have heard it said more than once, that this is

The most important election in our lifetimes!!!

for the record, and with all certitude, that is bullshit.

The most important election in our lifetimes was 2000
and we got it wrong,
that is the biggest reason we are in the deep shit we are in now.
That's... Mitt Romney's ad campaign?

Yeah, this is the most important. As was the last one. And the one before that. And before that. And before that. I'm young, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that being said since I can remember... so... 2000.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

You're so fixated on this notion of 'who they like better'.

I don't like either of Romney or Obama at all. There is no second place. Sure, I'd rather have consistency in our presidencies and perhaps that's the only reason why I could justify 'wanting' Obama to win, but my vote for Gary Johnson is a vote for Gary Johnson, with no second place handout to either candidate.

I have Libertarian viewpoints. I will not vote for a candidate who does not share those. I will vote third party until then. If it so happens that the black sheep of the party gets put on the ticket next time, you'll see me vote for them.

I'm exercising my right to vote, so back off, you're not making a difference.