2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what happens in the next 12 hours, it's going to be an historic day.

I'm excited to see how this all plays out. :)

My high school is off today because it is a polling place.

I'm feeling more annoyed than anything that I'm two months too young to be in this process.

I will be 18 when the new president is sworn in. So, why can I not have a say in who that is?

America sucks.

voting by absentee ballot just isn't the same as actually going to the polls and voting. Regardless, I just want to speed up the day and get to primetime.

I f'ng can't wait to vote for Obama today. I'll be going around 1 or 2 oclock. Should be fun. It always feels really good leaving the polling place...like I've just done something worthwhile with my life. And that's more than I can say about most days. There's also a very palpable sense of patriotism that comes over me. But that doesn't last very long...

My Va. voting line was only 5 minutes :shrug:, although they said it was 2 hours first thing in the morning.

I got to my polling place before it opened, and there was already a huge line. I got in line just before 7, and I was done at 7:55. Approx 1 hr to vote in a town of 5500 people with two precincts. Crazy.

I was in line behind one of the town commissioners, and he said they've never had lines like this before. It's a good thing.

I haven't voted yet - I need breakfast and caffeine first. I don't want to have a lack of caffeiene cause me to vote for McCain accidentally. ;)

But I can tell you that Starbucks was PACKED this morning. People definitely heard the free coffee message.

I can see my polling place from my bedroom window - it's a church, and I can see the steeple. I like that it's close enough to walk. I'm bringing a book in case there's a long line.

I voted early last Wednesday. I voted on the day in 2004.

Is it silly to feel like I'm missing out on the experience of voting on the day?

Oh well, I still feel great to have voted. :)

6PM - whenever someone officially has 270 = me planted on couch in front of TV with laptop in front of me, watching MSNBC and posting here :yes:

Is it silly to feel like I'm missing out on the experience of voting on the day?

Not at all. That's why I decided to see if I could vote in person instead of absentee. I was told it shouldn't be a problem, but they emailed me a form to complete and fax in that basically said I was opting out of absentee voting for this election.

I'm going to bring in my unopened absentee ballot along with my registration card, in case there are any problems.

And if there are still problems, then I'll just go home and fill it out and mail it in.

But I like the feeling of voting in person. I feel very patriotic. :)

Plus, Washington is going to all voting by mail next election, so this is my last chance to do it in person.

vote.png

:lol:

I walked to the elementary school, no wait, voted, and came home. I'm now the proud owner of this:

i-voted.gif

I was #143 in the signature book, just so it's on the record. The only odd thing was that they did not have a ballot box in which to insert the ballot after voting. They said it hadn't arrived. We had to put them face down in this giant pink pouch. :|

We hold in our hearts the memory of our fallen brothers whose blood stains the very streets we walk today. Also on this night we pay tribute to the leader of our enemies, an honorable man, who crossed over bravely, fighting for what he believed in. To defeat my enemy, I extinguish his life, and consume him as I consume these flames. In honor of Priest Vallon.

I just got back. I didn't get a sticker. :grumpy:

But dang, I felt a big swell of pride filling in the circle for Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

this is a beautiful picture.
this is the picture of love and acceptance, of overlooking the racial prejudices and difficulties of the time and embracing your grandchild as he is, for who he is, no matter what.

i find this very profound, and very moving. it speaks about the unconditional love and acceptance we all deserve from our parents and grandparents, no matter which paths our lives may take us, whether dizzying heights or terrible lows. we are loved, period.

What a sweet post

I went in and voted at around 10:30 this morning, wasn't registered (in Minnesota), and got all set up and finished within half an hour. :up:

I have to say it's a pretty amazing feeling to have my first election be one of such importance. :D

(CNN) – John McCain and his aides are still banking on a come-from-behind victory Tuesday, but the GOP's most famous political strategist is forecasting Obama is well positioned to win.

Karl Rove, the man widely credited with engineering President Bush's two successful White House bids, is out with a new map showing the Illinois senator will take the White House in an Electoral College landslide, winning 338 votes to John McCain's 200. That would be the largest Electoral College victory since 1996, when Bill Clinton defeated Bob Dole in a 379-159 rout.

In an Electoral Map posted on Rove's Web site, the Republican mastermind shows Obama victories in several key battlegrounds, including virtually all of the states where polls suggest he currently enjoys a slim advantage. In fact, Rove believes Missouri is the only crucial battleground state McCain will carry, while Obama scores victories in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, and Iowa. Rove also thinks Obama will win traditionally-Republican Virginia.

UPDATE: Rove has not made any definitive declarations, and writes some tight states — including Florida — could flip given some polling suggests movement in McCain's direction.

voted. took 30 minutes. got free coffee at the 'bucks. had a meeting. am at work and am too nervous to really do anything.

The polls are all dead here. Everyone voted early. I feel like it's been months since I voted. Running errands around town people were greeting each other with "¡Obamanos!" I didn't see any McCain signs anywhere in the whole city.

I don't recall seeing any McCain paraphernalia in the parts of Seattle I frequent .... which is highly unsurprising. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom