2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #466
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:16 PM
You said most left leaning folks don't need a preaching to the choir environment and that they actively oppose it. I think that most people of all political stripes don't need one (although the religious do) and that both mainstream left and right don't have any problems when there is consensus among their supporters, neither group opposes consensus.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 AM   #467
She's the One

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
The liberals have radio talkshows, and they don't do so well because ...
We don't need constant shouting and yelling to make us feel like we're correct?

But quite honestly, now that I have a six-cd changer in my car, all radio can go to hell.

Except when I need a traffic report.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #468
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:16 AM
I like Dennis, he says liberals are nice and there are many jerk's on the Right:

Dailymotion - Dennis Prager on America, Liberals, Jihad and More, a video from Thanx-A-Lott. Dennis, Prager, America, Islam, Horowitz
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #469
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:16 AM
I'm hoping that a week from tomorrow morning, we'll know without a doubt who the next President is. I don't think I can handle another Florida or Ohio fiasco.

I miss the Clinton landslide days, when I could go to bed knowing the outcome.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 AM
A week from tomorrow I will be 22, and we will have a new president-elect...:Pray:
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #471
Blue Crack Distributor

Nice avatar, Laura... Where did that happen?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #472
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
It was a smug assertion, and having watched people who question a leftist consensus get tarred as racists, homophobes and misogynists I think that "the left" is just as prone to conformity as the right.

Not to mention the tedium of listening to people agree about how GWB is the worst president ever, that global warming is all his fault, Iraq was a land of chocolate rivers before 2003 and that conservatives (unlike progressives) are all a bunch of religious know-nothings who believe in censorship, enforcing their social values on society and attacking social welfare programs (it's all only partly true).

seems a bit smug and tedious to point out the smugness and tediousness of others.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #473
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
The liberals have radio talkshows, and they don't do so well because it's not really hard to know what the liberal point of view is. It's saturated out there.
I'd say that the conservative version of what the liberal point of view is is saturated out there, if by "there" you mean AM talk radio. The actual liberal point of view, well that's another story.

On the political forum I run, it's VERY easy to pick out a conservative trying to be a liberal. It's because he preaches what he thinks the liheral point of view is, and that makes him stick out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
The reason they don't work is that most left leaning folks don't need a preaching to the choir environment, in fact we fear it...
Another reason that liberal talk shows don't work is because radio stations accept corporate advertising. If you have a radio show that for example slams the credit card business, are MasterCard, Amex, and Visa going to buy commercials on that show? Probably not. Is Wal-Mart going to buy ad time on a show that slams them for their business practices? Probably not.

Radio shows want the programming that brings in the most bucks, and that ain't liberal talk radio.

Radio Pacifica accepts no corporate advertising, and they are one of my favorite stations. They have great segments, great guests, and a loyal following, but no corporate fat cats to piss off.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #474
ONE
love, blood, life

yeah, that *must* be it.

<>
Old 10-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's because conservative America is the true silent majority and radios and FOX news are the only legitimate places to get your news from.

You can't even trust the internet unless it comes in the form of an email from an insider Washington friend.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #476
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I think it comes down to commuting methods and durations.

Wrong. Take a look at DC, where the overwhelming majority of people are liberal, and the average commute by car is an hour or more. Like BVS, most of the politically-minded who make those commutes listen to NPR instead of saber-rattling doofuses.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #477
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
[IMG][IMG]

for McCain.

Yeah, because we all know that he's stable! Maybe that's why he likes him....
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #478
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
I'd say that the conservative version of what the liberal point of view is is saturated out there, if by "there" you mean AM talk radio. The actual liberal point of view, well that's another story.

On the political forum I run, it's VERY easy to pick out a conservative trying to be a liberal. It's because he preaches what he thinks the liheral point of view is, and that makes him stick out like a sore thumb.

Another reason that liberal talk shows don't work is because radio stations accept corporate advertising. If you have a radio show that for example slams the credit card business, are MasterCard, Amex, and Visa going to buy commercials on that show? Probably not. Is Wal-Mart going to buy ad time on a show that slams them for their business practices? Probably not.

Radio shows want the programming that brings in the most bucks, and that ain't liberal talk radio.

Radio Pacifica accepts no corporate advertising, and they are one of my favorite stations. They have great segments, great guests, and a loyal following, but no corporate fat cats to piss off.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that TV, newspapers, magazines, movies, music, school have plenty of saturation in liberal bias. Forcing talk radio to put more liberal opinions on is overkill. There's a hunger out there for conservative opinions because people want to see intellectuals who agree with them compete against liberals in the chattering classes. Nobody believes that the Fairness Doctrine is going to be used to force conservative opinions on Oprah.

The reason I know I'm right is that the forum thread here would celebrate if Rush and Hannity were off the air.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Movies and music have no obligation to be objective. It would be the same as criticizing books. Each is the property and opinion of the writer.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #480
Refugee

Quote:
I think the point I'm trying to make is that TV, newspapers, magazines, movies, music, school have plenty of saturation in liberal bias.
Only if you're a conservative. If you're liberal then it's the other way around.

Quote:
There's a hunger out there for conservative opinions because people want to see intellectuals who agree with them compete against liberals in the chattering classes. Nobody believes that the Fairness Doctrine is going to be used to force conservative opinions on Oprah.

The reason I know I'm right is that the forum thread here would celebrate if Rush and Hannity were off the air.
No, we'd celebrate if people didn't take them seriously, keep them on by all means ! You really ought to have learned by now not to tell us what other people think.