2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph Nader's been gathering a ton of attention lately and has been polling at over 5% in a few states. Some of the national polls you see actually count three of the minor party candidates (presumably Nader, Barr & McKinney) although they rarely report the percents for those three. Nader's definitely been netting a lot of ink lately and is on the NBC news special tonight. Would be sweet to have him get 1 Million votes while Obama slaughters McCain. :applaud:

Ya, the 5% Obama may need to win. Geez, this Nader guy. Really. Should of stayed out this cycle.

Ralph Nader's been gathering a ton of attention lately and has been polling at over 5% in a few states. Some of the national polls you see actually count three of the minor party candidates (presumably Nader, Barr & McKinney) although they rarely report the percents for those three. Nader's definitely been netting a lot of ink lately and is on the NBC news special tonight. Would be sweet to have him get 1 Million votes while Obama slaughters McCain. :applaud:

Ralph's my boy. :hi5: I have voted for him in every election since 1996. :D It helps living in a safe state - Clinton, Kerry and Gore were shoe in's up here, so I had the leeway to give my vote to the 3rd party. I wish they would let him debate, give him more coverage, and take him a bit more seriously. He has a lot to say.

We all know McCain wil benefit from race-based voting more than Obama will.

We also know Powell is an intelligent, honorable, decent man.

We also know Limpbaugh is a drug abusing hysterical lying right wing douchebag with a history of racism.

^ It was on FOX News. Williams certainly didn't say "it's all about race"--he agreed that, from his POV, race was obviously an important factor in this endorsement because Powell is "the original crossover star," a senior black figure in US politics who at the same time "hasn't always had a very close relationship with the black community in terms of his legacy," and here we see him reaching out--and left--to the new most visible African-American politician, while at the same time underlining how he (Powell) feels the GOP has moved too far to the right. (Williams made almost the same remarks on NPR as well, in more detail and without the reporter leading him.) Rush's tack was, needless to say, quite different.

I didn't see this part and now that I have, I'm appalled that he would say that Rush Limbaugh was "right" on anything, period.
I disagree with RL on so many levels. I respect Colin Powell and think Williams is profoundly wrong with this description of him..

Ralph's my boy. :hi5: I have voted for him in every election since 1996. :D It helps living in a safe state - Clinton, Kerry and Gore were shoe in's up here, so I had the leeway to give my vote to the 3rd party. I wish they would let him debate, give him more coverage, and take him a bit more seriously. He has a lot to say.
I vote in a safe sate too, and I know my parents voted Nader for the same reason in 2000 and 2004. But I think all three of us will be voting Obama this time, not because he could lose MA, but because it will make us incredibly proud and be incredibly satisfying to vote for Obama. Kerry few liked, not even in MA.

This one's for U2democrat

Pfriend or Pfoe? | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

So, U2democrat, are you part of real or fake Virginia? :lol:

Is that like northern Florida is really Georgia, but we just don't like to publicize it? :hmm:

See, I'm from west central Florida, which is the real Florida. As opposed to south Florida, which is the fake Florida (or "Cuba") and northern Florida, which is actually Georgia, as I said before. Central Florida is Disney World, so it's a different country all together. And east central Florida is known as the space coast, so you know . . . . aliens. The Florida Keys . . . well, we just pretend they don't exist and only pay attention to them when it's hurricane season or we want to vacation there.

I think everyone in FYM should examine if they are in the real or fake part of their state (or province, for our Canadian posters :wave:).

I live in Orange County, CA. : pumpsfist: So I guarangoddamntee that I'm from the real America.
your America even has a TV show named after you

then again, we have Boston Public AND Boston Legal, that's two, and we still aren't the real America.

(we won't even get into Cheers)

041308sarasotafilmfestival.jpg
mccain%20crist%20small

Charlie for Mac

On the stump with Florida Gov. Charlie CristStory Highlights
Florida governor crisscrosses state to rally votes for Sen. John McCain

Gov. Charlie Christ: In troubled times, voters tend to blame party in power

Crist was said to be on McCain's short list for running mates

Governor is engaged to be married in December

Next Article in Politics »

Read VIDEO
By Sean Callebs
CNN Correspondent

CNN goes behind the scenes on the campaign trail during the 2008 presidential election.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, here at a baseball playoff game last week, is making a pitch for Sen. John McCain.

MELBOURNE, Florida (CNN) -- Call it travels with Charlie.

We spent much of Monday crisscrossing Florida with the state's popular Republican governor, Charlie Crist, while he campaigned for Sen. John McCain and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

I had the chance to talk to Crist for about an hour on arguably the most important jewel up for grabs in two weeks -- Florida and its 27 electoral votes.

Crist is keenly aware the stakes here couldn't be higher. The governor says he's puzzled by news reports that allege a rift between him and McCain. Crist also has been accused of not doing enough for the GOP presidential ticket.

"It's all hands on deck. I am committed to doing everything I can to help him win," Crist said aboard a charter jet that ferried him and his entourage around the state. Watch what's at stake for McCain in Florida »

"I think it's important to our country," Crist said, adding, "He's my friend."

Crist took a moment to say how much he likes CNN -- especially Wolf Blitzer. "You know Wolf's mom lives in South Florida," he said. I didn't. Now I do. Not sure what to do with that nugget, but I'll drop in on Wolf at some point.

I asked Crist what happened to McCain's summertime lead in the polls in Florida.

It's not that Sen. Barack Obama has about 450 campaign workers here, compared with 100 for McCain. Or the fact that Obama is outspending McCain 3-to-1. Plain and simple, it's the economy, Crist said.

"McCain's got to stay on topic and talk about how he'll improve the economy," he said.

Like many states around the country, Florida is feeling a harsh bite -- unemployment is up, construction is drying up.

"We have nearly 20 million people here, 12 million voters," he said. "When things aren't going well, voters tend to blame the political party in charge, and there's no mistaking it: Republicans run Florida."

For those who haven't been on one of these mini-marathon swings, it's amazing how fluid and well-coordinated they seem. At each stop -- Sarasota, West Palm Beach, Melbourne and finally Tallahassee -- Crist and other party faithful repeat the same speech nearly word for word with unbridled enthusiasm.

Crist is a consummate politician, moving effortlessly through crowds. Who knows -- if things would have played out differently, maybe Crist, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal or former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney would be sharing the ticket with McCain.

Remember this summer when McCain invited them all to his Arizona ranch? There was widespread speculation that it was a beauty contest of sorts -- that perhaps McCain wanted to see who, if anyone, would be a good vice presidential fit. Crist says he never got the impression they were being judged.

"To me, it was like a holiday Southwest barbecue," he said.

I asked Crist if he thought Palin was going to lure undecided voters to the ticket.

"I think we both know the answer to that," he said. "But there's no question she fired up the base."

Florida's most eligible bachelor is getting married in December. His fiancée, Carole Rome, traveled from city to city with the governor, with Crist announcing, "Today's her birthday."

She was snacking on a cookie from the Gun Club Cafe. (Crist turned to an aide and asked, "Is it really called that?")

She said, "I really shouldn't be doing that -- I have a wedding coming up."

"Please," I said. "Not only should you be eating the cookie -- but it should have a candle on top."

The governor did four cities in four hours. There was a healthy turnout on a Monday morning and lots of local news coverage.

We know Crist will have one big reason to celebrate when he weds in December.

Go Charlie Go!

it's fiancee.

it would be "fiance" if she was a he and gay unions were legal in fla., sweet pea.

as for charlie he can't be gay and be engaged to someone that beautiful.
<>

File this one under “real versus unreal America.”

Politico picks up on another uh-oh moment from a Republican representative up for re-election. Rep. Robin Hayes, during a warm-up act for John McCain this weekend in North Carolina, remarked to a rowdy crowd that “liberals hate real Americans that work and achieve and believe in God.”

Wow.

i now live in the fakest part of fake Virginia -- communist Arlington!
oooh i've got family there

i have fake roots too!

my other side, though, is from the realest of real americans.

my grandmother apparently expressed the wish that palin and obama shared a ticket, cause she liked them both. :scratch: this was before all the incompetent interviews, but still...

There is no incentive not to do so once McCain is elected (which will not happen!).

Of course not entirely true. I'm pretty confident he will seek re-election and then it would be a great liability if he left her shortly after the election. I hope he knew what he let himself in. I hope even more so that the engagement is genuine and the rumours about his orientation are just that. Not because of his orientation, but because that would mean he doesn't lie to himself and doesn't "betray" himself.

There is no incentive not to do so once McCain is elected (which will not happen!).

Of course not entirely true. I'm pretty confident he will seek re-election and then it would be a great liability if he left her shortly after the election. I hope he knew what he let himself in. I hope even more so that the engagement is genuine and the rumours about his orientation are just that. Not because of his orientation, but because that would mean he doesn't lie to himself and doesn't "betray" himself.

Charlie was a serious VP contender, and it did raise his national profile. if he wants a national political future, he better go get real married and not fake married like in CA, MA, and now CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom