2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Haven't we had a few posters here in FYM take him seriously enough to refer to him as a source? :hmm:

I thought it was, since the statement would imply that the conservatives in the forum all have embraced Rush, yeah, I wanted to know who we were referring too.

You got a little over excited, huh.

Not to interrupt the Rush Lovefest here, but I thought this was interesting.

Since 1929, Republicans and Democrats have each controlled the presidency for nearly 40 years. So which party has been better for American pocketbooks and capitalism as a whole? Well, here’s an experiment: imagine that during these years you had to invest exclusively under either Democratic or Republican administrations. How would you have fared?

As of Friday, a $10,000 investment in the S.& P. stock market index* would have grown to $11,733 if invested under Republican presidents only, although that would be $51,211 if we exclude Herbert Hoover’s presidency during the Great Depression. Invested under Democratic presidents only, $10,000 would have grown to $300,671 at a compound rate of 8.9 percent over nearly 40 years.

14opchart.full.jpg

The other night I was talking about the election with a former Republican US Senator from Virginia. I was expecting to teasingly smacktalk about the election, as I have done with him the past several election cycles. The first thing he said to me was "You [the Democrats] are going to win. You deserve to win. You need to kick the rascals out. The Republicans have done a poor job of governing the last 8 years. It's up to you to change that."

He was completely genuine and serious. My jaw was on the floor. So there's some inside info for you, and it's not good for the Republican Party.

The other night I was talking about the election with a former Republican US Senator from Virginia. I was expecting to teasingly smacktalk about the election, as I have done with him the past several election cycles. The first thing he said to me was "You [the Democrats] are going to win. You deserve to win. You need to kick the rascals out. The Republicans have done a poor job of governing the last 8 years. It's up to you to change that."

He was completely genuine and serious. My jaw was on the floor. So there's some inside info for you, and it's not good for the Republican Party.

i think this sums up what a lot of republicans are thinking right now. At least that's the sense I get here lately. :hmm:

The first thing he said to me was "You [the Democrats] are going to win. You deserve to win. You need to kick the rascals out. The Republicans have done a poor job of governing the last 8 years. It's up to you to change that."

Some of the people on my political forum have been saying that the republicans intend to lose this election on purpose, because they don't want to have to clean up this economic mess, and they don't want to have to deal with the war anymore. They'd rather sit back and criticize how the dems handle things for the next four years, then make a serious attempt in the next election.

Not sure I buy it, but I wouldn't want to be the one to have to clean up this mess either.

Posted: October 15
Updated: Today at 10:14 AM
Secret Service says "Kill him" allegation unfounded
By Andrew M. Seder aseder@timesleader.com
Staff Writer

SCRANTON – The agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in Scranton said allegations that someone yelled “kill him” when presidential hopeful Barack Obama’s name was mentioned during Tuesday’s Sarah Palin rally are unfounded.

The Scranton Times-Tribune first reported the alleged incident on its Web site Tuesday and then again in its print edition Wednesday. The first story, written by reporter David Singleton, appeared with allegations that while congressional candidate Chris Hackett was addressing the crowd and mentioned Obama’s name a man in the audience shouted “kill him."

News organizations including ABC, The Associated Press, The Washington Monthly and MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann reported the claim, with most attributing the allegations to the Times-Tribune story.

Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.

“I was baffled,” he said after reading the report in Wednesday’s Times-Tribune.

He said the agency conducted an investigation Wednesday, after seeing the story, and could not find one person to corroborate the allegation other than Singleton.

Slavoski said more than 20 non-security agents were interviewed Wednesday, from news media to ordinary citizens in attendance at the rally for the Republican vice presidential candidate held at the Riverfront Sports Complex. He said Singleton was the only one to say he heard someone yell “kill him.”

“We have yet to find someone to back up the story,” Slavoski said. “We had people all over and we have yet to find anyone who said they heard it.”

Hackett said he did not hear the remark.

Slavoski said Singleton was interviewed Wednesday and stood by his story but couldn’t give a description of the man because he didn’t see him he only heard him.

When contacted Wednesday afternoon, Singleton referred questions to Times-Tribune Metro Editor Jeff Sonderman. Sonderman said, “We stand by the story. The facts reported are true and that’s really all there is.”

Slavoski said the agents take such threats or comments seriously and immediately opened an investigation but after due diligence “as far as we’re concerned it’s closed unless someone comes forward.” He urged anyone with knowledge of the alleged incident to call him at 346-5781. “We’ll run at all leads,” he said.

This story also appears on the following websites...

Not to interrupt the Rush Lovefest here, but I thought this was interesting.

14opchart.full.jpg

Meaningless and insulting the thinking person's intelligence. This assumes that the economy is in a tight bubble around each individual President.The policies of previous presidents affect the economic growth of their successors.

For example, the growth of the 1990's was great, but a good percentage of that growth is credited to George H.W. Bush's policies, (aka him breaking his "no new taxes" line...watch "The Presidents" or whatever it's called on PBS and it explains this well). Bush and Clinton were both responsible for that growth.

The economic mess right now is a combination of multiple Presidents--deregulation under Reagan and Bush, the push of the Clinton Administration to give sub-prime loans to increase the number of homeowners in the U.S., then the continued deregulation under the Bush Administration.

Staff Writer

SCRANTON – The agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in Scranton said allegations that someone yelled “kill him” when presidential hopeful Barack Obama’s name was mentioned during Tuesday’s Sarah Palin rally are unfounded.

The Scranton Times-Tribune first reported the alleged incident on its Web site Tuesday and then again in its print edition Wednesday. The first story, written by reporter David Singleton, appeared with allegations that while congressional candidate Chris Hackett was addressing the crowd and mentioned Obama’s name a man in the audience shouted “kill him."

News organizations including ABC, The Associated Press, The Washington Monthly and MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann reported the claim, with most attributing the allegations to the Times-Tribune story.

Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.

He said the agency conducted an investigation Wednesday, after seeing the story, and could not find one person to corroborate the allegation other than Singleton.

Slavoski said more than 20 non-security agents were interviewed Wednesday, from news media to ordinary citizens in attendance at the rally for the Republican vice presidential candidate held at the Riverfront Sports Complex. He said Singleton was the only one to say he heard someone yell “kill him.”

“We have yet to find someone to back up the story,” Slavoski said. “We had people all over and we have yet to find anyone who said they heard it.”

Slavoski said Singleton was interviewed Wednesday and stood by his story but couldn’t give a description of the man because he didn’t see him he only heard him.

When contacted Wednesday afternoon, Singleton referred questions to Times-Tribune Metro Editor Jeff Sonderman. Sonderman said, “We stand by the story. The facts reported are true and that’s really all there is.”

Slavoski said the agents take such threats or comments seriously and immediately opened an investigation but after due diligence “as far as we’re concerned it’s closed unless someone comes forward.” He urged anyone with knowledge of the alleged incident to call him at 346-5781. “We’ll run at all leads,” he said.

Nothing illegal today, a good day for Palin.....

Everytime someone quotes a super lengthy post just to reply with one sentence, God kicks a puppy. :sad:

Meaningless and insulting the thinking person's intelligence.
For being meaningless, it sure is consistent. :hmm:

You'd think that if it were coincidence, the numbers would be all over the place, rather than the consistent stats shown.

Btw, you can bet that if those numbers were reversed, the repubs would be rubbing our noses in that graphic morning, noon, and night. :wink:

Staff Writer

15 seconds in....
maybe the FBI should watch youtube.
YouTube - Obama Hatred At McCain-Palin Rallies: "Terrorist! Kill Him!"

I think they're talking about a different rally. (one in PA this week vs. one in FL last week)

Last edited:
"Who is this Barack Obama?"
"Terrorist!" "Kill him!"
Strange look
"You ask those questions, and all you get is a barrage of insults."

With a lot of goodwill, one could think he indirectly criticised his audience... with a lot of goodwill.

Here are the latest Gallup results as McCain and Obama went into the final debate. These results just came out this afternoon and involve polling done in the two days before and the day of the debate.

Obama 49%
McCain 43%

So, Obama's lead is down to just 6 points among registered voters, plus this is the first time Obama has been below 50% in over two weeks.

A poll among what gallup calls likely voters offers some hope for McCain. Here are the results of that poll:

Obama 49%
McCain 47%

This result is within the margin of error for the poll.

But, the electoral college is still looking grim at the moment for McCain. If the election were held today, realclearpolitics predicts and electoral victory for Obama:

Obama 364
McCain 174

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

That electoral college result is very similar to Clinton VS. Dole in 1996.

Can I make a formal request that Diamond stop posting all of his articles in huge letters?

^ That was unnecessary.

While I would hardly say diamond posts "all" his articles in that format, I agree that posting articles in giant font sizes is too obnoxious to let continue. It doesn't help when multiple people then proceed to quote the entire post, though, either.

ok, i will stop w the bill board posting, except to accenuate a word or phrase here and there on rare occassions.

fair enough?

<>

Yeah, I didn't mean all the articles, just the few he's posted in the past two or three days.

Thanks.

For being meaningless, it sure is consistent. :hmm:

You'd think that if it were coincidence, the numbers would be all over the place, rather than the consistent stats shown.

Btw, you can bet that if those numbers were reversed, the repubs would be rubbing our noses in that graphic morning, noon, and night. :wink:

Maybe, but then Democrats would just point fingers and say "we fix their mistakes, then they get elected and take credit!"

There are so many things wrong with a graphic like that...Economic policies of the parties have changed in the last 79 years, historical events such as the Vietnam War, WWII, energy costs, the internet bubble are not taken into account, and as I've pointed out, the negative return according the that graphic for GWB can just as easily be attributed to Reagen, GHWB, or Clinton because they all had policies as well as GWB that led to the "perfect storm" we've been seeing on Wall Street.

My point is that no presidency or economy occurs in a bubble. It doesn't just restart every time a new president is elected--events that are happening now are a result of many previous administrations, just like they did for Nixon, or Kennedy or anybody on that list.

It doesn't help when multiple people then proceed to quote the entire post, though, either.

Thank you! It's one of my biggest internet pet peeves.

Once you hit "quote," you can go into the quote and chop out the extra stuff you don't need. Or if you just want to make a general comment, just snip everything after the first sentence or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom