2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at photos of Bush back in 2000

and look at him now. You can
see the toll that the job takes on you.

In fact, it looks like Obama has aged considerably,

at least to me,
since he launched his presidential bid last year.

I agree, and that's something I've always said, too. Look at any president from the past several decades, and they visibly age very rapidly once they're in office. It's like a presidential year equals two or three human years.

Cindy McCain makes appearance at Children's Hospital | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

McCain, who stopped to visit a half-dozen children at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt today, said the presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama has "waged the dirtiest campaign in American history,” and her husband Sen. John McCain will use tonight’s debate to correct the distortions.

Fox just reported that she was there in order to foil a Barak HUSSEIN Obama plot to take those children and sacrifice them to his heathen god in exchange for another month of positive polling results. Duh. It had nothing to do with politics, so please don't distort the truth.

ABC News: Before and After: Can Presidents Age Gracefully?

It is kinda scary, since McCain is pretty much already the "after" photo...

So was Reagan. I wonder if there's any truth to the talk that he was developing the early stages of Alzheimers during his last couple years in office. Also, the FDR comparison is a little different since he was president for 16 years as opposed to 4 or 8. We're all going to age a lot in that amount of time.

So was Reagan. I wonder if there's any truth to the talk that he was developing the early stages of Alzheimers during his last couple years in office.

We were actually talking about this the other day. I looked it up, and he was diagnosed in '94 and passed away in '04. According to Alzheimers research, fewer than 3% of people live 14 or more years with the disease. So, there's a less than 3% chance he had it prior to 1990, despite how he seemed at times during the latter part of his presidency.

We were actually talking about this the other day. I looked it up, and he was diagnosed in '94 and passed away in '04. According to Alzheimers research, fewer than 3% of people live 14 or more years with the disease. So, there's a less than 3% chance he had it prior to 1990, despite how he seemed at times during the latter part of his presidency.

Ah, ok. I wasn't alive (except for the last 3 months) of the Reagan presidency, but my mom mentioned the Alzheimers possibility to me about Reagan the other day. I just thought it would have been interesting to know since it would have been incredibly dangerous to have a person with even the slight beginnings of such a disease as Commander in Chief. Based on the statistics in your post, though, I'm guessing Reagan didn't have anything other than common memory loss during those last years as president.

Ah, ok. I wasn't alive (except for the last 3 months) of the Reagan presidency, but my mom mentioned the Alzheimers possibility to me about Reagan the other day. I just thought it would have been interesting to know since it would have been incredibly dangerous to have a person with even the slight beginnings of such a disease as Commander in Chief. Based on the statistics in your post, though, I'm guessing Reagan didn't have anything other than common memory loss during those last years as president.

It really is a grey area, though. The disease often manifests for several years before the patient actually fits the criteria for a full-blown Alzheimers diagnosis. The stats I read didn't indicate whether or not these very early pre-diagnosis stages are included in that 14 year span, but given that the mean time of death after diagnosis is 7 years, I'm guessing they must.

However, it's one of those weird things that is very difficult to judge - where is the line where what could be normal forgetting and zoning out due to aging becomes early stage Alzheimers? He definitely had something going on, there.

Both the Bush and Clinton before-and-after photos seemed a little unfair. The lighting on each of the "after" photos looks a lot brighter and makes their skin paler.

However, just judging by their respective hair colors before and after, the Presidency ages you REAL fast.

(CNN) – Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate John McCain, appears to have sharpened her attacks against Barack Obama on the campaign trail in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

One day after she told a Tennessee newspaper Obama is running the "dirtiest campaign in American history," Mrs. McCain criticized the Illinois senator for voting against a bill to fund troops in Iraq, a regular line of attack from her husband’s campaign.

“The day that Senator Obama cast a vote not to fund my son when he was serving sent a cold chill through my body, let me tell you,” she told a Pennsylvania crowd before introducing her husband and Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin.

“I would suggest Senator Obama change shoes with me for just one day. I suggest he take a day and go watch our men and women deploying," she also said, to boisterous cheers from the campaign.

The vote Mrs. McCain is referencing came in May of 2007, when Obama was one of 14 senators who voted against a war-spending plan that would have provided emergency funds for American troops overseas. He, like many Democrats, was pushing for an end to the war in Iraq, and the legislation included no provisions for that. Before that vote, Obama did support and vote for a funding proposal that included a timeline for withdrawal from Iraq — a troop funding bill McCain opposed.

A CNN fact check deemed the charge that Obama voted against troop funding "misleading."

cnn.com

October 2, 2008
Fact Check: Did Obama vote to cut funds for troops?
Posted: 10:25 PM ET

The Statement:
At an Oct. 2 debate in St. Louis, Missouri, Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin was talking about support for U.S. troops overseas. "I know that the other ticket opposed this surge — in fact, even opposed funding our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Barack Obama voted against funding
troops after promising that he would not do so," she said.

The Facts:

On May 24, 2007, Obama was one of 14 senators who voted against a war-spending plan that would have provided emergency funds for American troops overseas. He, like many Democrats, was pushing for an end to the war in Iraq, and the legislation included no provisions for that. "We must fund our troops," Obama said that day in a news release. "But we owe them something more. We owe them a
clear, prudent plan to relieve them of the burden of policing someone else's civil war." Republican nominee Sen. John McCain, and Obama's running mate Sen. Joe Biden, voted in favor of that resolution.

Obama had supported, and voted for, an earlier version of the bill that would have provided the money for the troops but established a timeline for Bush to begin bringing them home. Biden also voted for that version of the plan.

McCain was one of three senators who did not vote that day — but he urged Bush to veto it after it passed 51-46 on April 26, 2007. "I look forward to the president's prompt veto of this misguided bill," McCain said in a written statement. Bush did veto the measure on May 1, 2007, leading to the second
vote.

Verdict:
Misleading. Obama supported a different version of the troop-funding plan — one that McCain spoke against.

bah I just saw 3 minutes of the discussion drinking beer Obama just has the better arguments regarding the financial crash

For the second time in three days, the speaker at a McCain campaign rally used Barack Obama's middle name "Hussein" in a demeaning fashion to ignite the crowd.

Speaking in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Bill Platt, the GOP chair of Lehigh County, twice referred to "Barack Hussein Obama" minutes before John McCain and Sarah Palin were set to take the stage.

On Monday, a local Florida sheriff preceded Palin's speech by declaring: "On Nov. 4, let's leave Barack Hussein Obama wondering what happened."

McCain has distanced itself from the deliberate and malicious use of Obama's middle name in the past. When a conservative radio talk show host first discussed Barack "Hussein" Obama in February, the campaign said it was inappropriate and not reflective of the race they are seeking to run.

But it is hard not to notice how rabid the crowds have recently become at McCain events and how demonstrative they have been in their disdain for Obama. In addition to introductory speakers raising the Senator's middle name in the form of an insult, audience members have screamed out, during recent events, "terrorist," "treason," and "kill him," when the Illinois Democrat's name has been discussed.

Speaking on MSNBC, Bill Burton, Obama's national press secretary, responded to the episode with the following statement.

"People try to use it as an epithet, as a way to stir up feelings about Sen. Obama that are negative," he said. "But they ultimately have nothing to do with our challenges that we are facing right now."

UPDATE: The McCain campaign condemns the remarks. For Obama supporters and others, however, the issue is more about whether McCain will be proactive about this stuff as opposed to reactive.

"We do not condone this inappropriate rhetoric which distracts from the real questions of judgment, character, and experience that voters will base their decisions on this November." --Paul Lindsay, McCain-Palin spokesman

I just watched Michelle Obama on Larry King. Man, she is impressive. I kept missing in-depth interviews with her throughout this campaign and now she's finally wowed me. Better late than never.

McCain's people are full of shit - they could easily circulate a memo before the rally specifying not to resort to the Hussein nonsense. I don't buy for one second that they mind.

Keep throwing shit in the wind, it'll land right back on your face.

And it just so happens that people at McCain rallies start bringing back the Hussein thing at the same time that Sarah Palin is playing up Obama's terrorist ties.

I just watched Michelle Obama on Larry King. Man, she is impressive. I kept missing in-depth interviews with her throughout this campaign and now she's finally wowed me. Better late than never.

My mom and I watched it too, and we were both just talking about what a remarkable, intelligent woman she is. She's definitely become one of my role models. The way she came from a poor family and was able to attend Princeton and Harvard Law School and balance a career with being a wife and mother is something I want to emulate some day. I love watching strong, independent women who challenge and encourage their husbands, not just stand in their shadow and beam like some teenage groupie. She's the type of woman I want be someday. The best guage of this, for me, was talking to my grandma after the interview and listening to her talk about how impressed she is with Michelle. My grandma came from a world where even while earning straight A's in high school, didn't have a chance to go to college because she had to go to work as a secretary to help support her widowed mom and younger siblings. She chose to be a housewife after my dad was born, but she always believed in equal rights for women in the workforce even when it wasn't popular. When she sees Michelle she sees a woman, she says, that is an inspirations, My grandma always talks about the opportunities women have and how those who choose not to get an education and use it as a means of helping others, or women who fade into their husband's shadow throw their lack of gratitude into the faces of women of her generation who were so capable of achieving great things but didn't have the support or the chance. It makes me grateful for my education and the choices I have in life now.

After a week of McCain supporters being incited to shout "kill him!" and "terrorist!" and "treason!", a man in Louisiana was arrested for threatening to kill election officials. The Smoking Gun has his arrest report and mug shots. It seems his voter registration card was delayed, and he was insistent that he would bring his shotgun to their office and kill them if they didn't hurry up because he needed to "keep the n*gger out of office."

NBC is also reporting that at today's McCain/Palin rally, there were screams of "Off with [Obama's] head!"

I am embarrassed on behalf of your entire country to be honest.

YouTube - The McCain-Palin Mob

Oh, like there are no raving lunatics in Canada. ;)

Seriously, though - very frightening. I'm glad the "kill him!" guy was treated as a real threat.

Excellent.

Edit: I'm really sorry I watched that video and really ashamed of myself for thinking I wanted to punch that blonde woman in the face.

Be kinda funny if these people turn out to be Obama supporters who want to embarrass Salin Palin but aren't quite smart enough to hack into her email account or sneak in a "God hates fags" sign to hold up in front of a television camera.

In all seriousness, I hope Obama gets the absolute best of the best in security, because there are alot of racist muthafukas in America that would love to take a shot at him.
That, God forbid, would be enough to drive me out of here....

Be kinda funny if these people turn out to be Obama supporters who want to embarrass Salin Palin but aren't quite smart enough to hack into her email account or sneak in a "God hates fags" sign to hold up in front of a television camera.
Where'd you hear about the sign? I haven't heard that one...

It's not like conservatives aren't writing articles like "I'm a liberal but I support...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom