2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #601
She's the One

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post

But do we need to refer to anyone as "that kid"?

I refer to a lot of people as kids, many of them are older than me. It wasn't meant in a condescending way.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #602
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
True. I can't bear Michael Moore.
Me neither.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #603
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I don't know. Haven't we had a few posters here in FYM take him seriously enough to refer to him as a source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
I thought it was, since the statement would imply that the conservatives in the forum all have embraced Rush, yeah, I wanted to know who we were referring too.
You got a little over excited, huh.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #604
Refugee

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Not to interrupt the Rush Lovefest here, but I thought this was interesting.

Quote:
Since 1929, Republicans and Democrats have each controlled the presidency for nearly 40 years. So which party has been better for American pocketbooks and capitalism as a whole? Well, here’s an experiment: imagine that during these years you had to invest exclusively under either Democratic or Republican administrations. How would you have fared?

As of Friday, a $10,000 investment in the S.& P. stock market index* would have grown to $11,733 if invested under Republican presidents only, although that would be $51,211 if we exclude Herbert Hoover’s presidency during the Great Depression. Invested under Democratic presidents only, $10,000 would have grown to $300,671 at a compound rate of 8.9 percent over nearly 40 years.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #605
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 AM
The other night I was talking about the election with a former Republican US Senator from Virginia. I was expecting to teasingly smacktalk about the election, as I have done with him the past several election cycles. The first thing he said to me was "You [the Democrats] are going to win. You deserve to win. You need to kick the rascals out. The Republicans have done a poor job of governing the last 8 years. It's up to you to change that."

He was completely genuine and serious. My jaw was on the floor. So there's some inside info for you, and it's not good for the Republican Party.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #606
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
The other night I was talking about the election with a former Republican US Senator from Virginia. I was expecting to teasingly smacktalk about the election, as I have done with him the past several election cycles. The first thing he said to me was "You [the Democrats] are going to win. You deserve to win. You need to kick the rascals out. The Republicans have done a poor job of governing the last 8 years. It's up to you to change that."

He was completely genuine and serious. My jaw was on the floor. So there's some inside info for you, and it's not good for the Republican Party.

i think this sums up what a lot of republicans are thinking right now. At least that's the sense I get here lately.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #607
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
You got a little over excited, huh.
Yep, my Denny Crain alarm went off in my pants.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #608
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
The first thing he said to me was "You [the Democrats] are going to win. You deserve to win. You need to kick the rascals out. The Republicans have done a poor job of governing the last 8 years. It's up to you to change that."
Some of the people on my political forum have been saying that the republicans intend to lose this election on purpose, because they don't want to have to clean up this economic mess, and they don't want to have to deal with the war anymore. They'd rather sit back and criticize how the dems handle things for the next four years, then make a serious attempt in the next election.

Not sure I buy it, but I wouldn't want to be the one to have to clean up this mess either.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #609
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:48 PM

Posted: October 15
Updated: Today at 10:14 AM
Secret Service says "Kill him" allegation unfounded
By Andrew M. Seder aseder@timesleader.com
Staff Writer

SCRANTON – The agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in Scranton said allegations that someone yelled “kill him” when presidential hopeful Barack Obama’s name was mentioned during Tuesday’s Sarah Palin rally are unfounded.

The Scranton Times-Tribune first reported the alleged incident on its Web site Tuesday and then again in its print edition Wednesday. The first story, written by reporter David Singleton, appeared with allegations that while congressional candidate Chris Hackett was addressing the crowd and mentioned Obama’s name a man in the audience shouted “kill him."

News organizations including ABC, The Associated Press, The Washington Monthly and MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann reported the claim, with most attributing the allegations to the Times-Tribune story.

Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.

“I was baffled,” he said after reading the report in Wednesday’s Times-Tribune.

He said the agency conducted an investigation Wednesday, after seeing the story, and could not find one person to corroborate the allegation other than Singleton.

Slavoski said more than 20 non-security agents were interviewed Wednesday, from news media to ordinary citizens in attendance at the rally for the Republican vice presidential candidate held at the Riverfront Sports Complex. He said Singleton was the only one to say he heard someone yell “kill him.”

“We have yet to find someone to back up the story,” Slavoski said. “We had people all over and we have yet to find anyone who said they heard it.”

Hackett said he did not hear the remark.

Slavoski said Singleton was interviewed Wednesday and stood by his story but couldn’t give a description of the man because he didn’t see him he only heard him.

When contacted Wednesday afternoon, Singleton referred questions to Times-Tribune Metro Editor Jeff Sonderman. Sonderman said, “We stand by the story. The facts reported are true and that’s really all there is.”

Slavoski said the agents take such threats or comments seriously and immediately opened an investigation but after due diligence “as far as we’re concerned it’s closed unless someone comes forward.” He urged anyone with knowledge of the alleged incident to call him at 346-5781. “We’ll run at all leads,” he said.

This story also appears on the following websites...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #610
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post

Hmm...that's awesome.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #611
Refugee

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:

Meaningless and insulting the thinking person's intelligence. This assumes that the economy is in a tight bubble around each individual President.The policies of previous presidents affect the economic growth of their successors.

For example, the growth of the 1990's was great, but a good percentage of that growth is credited to George H.W. Bush's policies, (aka him breaking his "no new taxes" line...watch "The Presidents" or whatever it's called on PBS and it explains this well). Bush and Clinton were both responsible for that growth.

The economic mess right now is a combination of multiple Presidents--deregulation under Reagan and Bush, the push of the Clinton Administration to give sub-prime loans to increase the number of homeowners in the U.S., then the continued deregulation under the Bush Administration.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #612
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Looks like it's time for the republicans to pull out all the stops.

Muslim DVD rattles voters in key battleground states

The rest is here
I'd just like to add that I received such DVD about a month ago and it went into the proper receptacle: the garbage.

We have a mosque less than 2 miles away from my home. To be a fly on that wall on the Sunday when everyone got those DVDs...
Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #613
Refugee

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Posted: October 15
Updated: Today at 10:14 AM
Secret Service says "Kill him" allegation unfounded
By Andrew M. Seder aseder@timesleader.com
Staff Writer

SCRANTON – The agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in Scranton said allegations that someone yelled “kill him” when presidential hopeful Barack Obama’s name was mentioned during Tuesday’s Sarah Palin rally are unfounded.

The Scranton Times-Tribune first reported the alleged incident on its Web site Tuesday and then again in its print edition Wednesday. The first story, written by reporter David Singleton, appeared with allegations that while congressional candidate Chris Hackett was addressing the crowd and mentioned Obama’s name a man in the audience shouted “kill him."

News organizations including ABC, The Associated Press, The Washington Monthly and MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann reported the claim, with most attributing the allegations to the Times-Tribune story.

Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.

“I was baffled,” he said after reading the report in Wednesday’s Times-Tribune.

He said the agency conducted an investigation Wednesday, after seeing the story, and could not find one person to corroborate the allegation other than Singleton.

Slavoski said more than 20 non-security agents were interviewed Wednesday, from news media to ordinary citizens in attendance at the rally for the Republican vice presidential candidate held at the Riverfront Sports Complex. He said Singleton was the only one to say he heard someone yell “kill him.”

“We have yet to find someone to back up the story,” Slavoski said. “We had people all over and we have yet to find anyone who said they heard it.”

Hackett said he did not hear the remark.

Slavoski said Singleton was interviewed Wednesday and stood by his story but couldn’t give a description of the man because he didn’t see him he only heard him.

When contacted Wednesday afternoon, Singleton referred questions to Times-Tribune Metro Editor Jeff Sonderman. Sonderman said, “We stand by the story. The facts reported are true and that’s really all there is.”

Slavoski said the agents take such threats or comments seriously and immediately opened an investigation but after due diligence “as far as we’re concerned it’s closed unless someone comes forward.” He urged anyone with knowledge of the alleged incident to call him at 346-5781. “We’ll run at all leads,” he said.

This story also appears on the following websites...

Nothing illegal today, a good day for Palin.....
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #614
Blue Crack Distributor

Everytime someone quotes a super lengthy post just to reply with one sentence, God kicks a puppy.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #615
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
Meaningless and insulting the thinking person's intelligence.
For being meaningless, it sure is consistent.

You'd think that if it were coincidence, the numbers would be all over the place, rather than the consistent stats shown.

Btw, you can bet that if those numbers were reversed, the repubs would be rubbing our noses in that graphic morning, noon, and night.