2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #406
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The point is that there are just as many things Republicans can identify with when it comes to the band, as Democrats can.
And before you get too much into your victim role as the poor persecuted conservative

Quote:
Even you wouldn't deny the reality that the membership of this forum is overwhelmingly liberal in political leanings.
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #407
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
If you are seriously trying to make the argument that Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam hold a more conservative world view than a liberal one, then I've got nothing else to say to you on this one.
I don't think anyone really knows for sure. No one here has access to their voting records and all their private, personal, political thoughts. But their certainly not as liberal as many other artist out there and you can't deny that many Republicans identify with U2's Christianity, and big business in a way that some Democrats would not.

If it could be tracked, I think you would find equal numbers of Republicans, Independents, and Democrats at U2 concerts or buying the albums in the United States.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #408
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Have you actually read U2 at the End of the World?

Or any of Bono's interviews in the last, oh, say 20 years??
Sure have, and there are several qoutes in At the End of the world that completely contradict the notion that U2 are pacifist which some people in here had troubling handling when it was pointed out to them.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #409
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
And before you get too much into your victim role as the poor persecuted conservative

The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.
__________________
Strongbow is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #410
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Sure have, and there are several qoutes in At the End of the world that completely contradict the notion that U2 are pacifist which some people in here had troubling handling when it was pointed out to them.
1)Being a pacifist is not a prerequisite to holding a generally liberal world view. Nor is it necessarily indicative of conservative world view.

2)So you found several quotes. And then there's the bulk of their interviews where it is clear that their world view is mostly liberal.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #411
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.
Nor did I ever claim it was. However, when you say this:

Quote:
Maybe its not an accident that there are only 10 or so people truely on the other side of the political fence in here.
Then I think pointing out the makeup of this forum is more than appropriate.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.
And left/right, particularly in the way it pertains to Christianity and how it mixes with politics, is certainly not the same globally as it is in the United States.
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #413
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 04:11 PM
Sting, you conveniently overlook the fact that 1/4 of U2 - Adam - is not religious at all. And you overlook the fact that U2's brand of religion is a much more open-minded, inclusive, and non-judgemental than much of the American brand of Christianity. They've never passed judgement on anyone. They spent an entire decade of their existence putting out music that questioned faith rather than celebrated it. Their brand of Christianity is hardly the same as the American right-wing brand.

Furthermore, you overlook the fact that when Bono was meeting with Bush those few times between 2002 and 2005, that it was reported that it made his bandmates, Edge in particular, very uncomfortable because he(Edge) HATED Bush.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #414
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
that said whether a head of state democrat or republican, if a threat is made againgst him -it is a federal offense.

i found it humorus how some act like when/if a person is threatening pres. bush with it was big of them to tell them that they wouldn't stand for it, when in fact it's a federal offense.
Actually, the law you're citing (18USC789) also applies to the VP, to Presidents-elect and VPs-elect, to "major candidates" for either office, and to immediate family members of all the above. It requires a credible threat of bodily harm, though, which Diemen's example certainly wouldn't constitute, and as far as it goes I very much doubt shouting "Kill him" at a rally would, either.

But that's beside the point; the reason such non-credible "threats" would be addressed in here is that it's plain old fucking pathetic idiocy to suggest that assassinating our politicians is a reasonable way to solve problems.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #415
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Wow, I leave for one evening of Cardinology and this thread has taken one of the most cringe worthy turns I've seen in a long while...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #416
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:11 PM
I agree, it's an absurd tangent.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #417
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Wow, I leave for one evening of Cardinology and this thread has taken one of the most cringe worthy turns I've seen in a long while...
Very nice
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #418
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,542
Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.
The membership in this particular forum is not limited to just US U2 fans.
And the rest of the world outside of the USA has a clear preference for Obama.
BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama win preferred in world poll
__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #419
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I agree, it's an absurd tangent.
Sting brought it up. It's a topic that is irrelevant to this thread, but it's so easy to remind him of what he's overlooking when he starts trying to convince us that U2 are conservative. I don't think I said anything that isn't true.

Anyway.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #420
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:11 PM
I was referring to both tangents of the last few pages actually, including the one I just replied to.

As you say, anyway...
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com