2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 AM   #406
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The point is that there are just as many things Republicans can identify with when it comes to the band, as Democrats can.
And before you get too much into your victim role as the poor persecuted conservative

Quote:
Even you wouldn't deny the reality that the membership of this forum is overwhelmingly liberal in political leanings.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #407
Refugee

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
If you are seriously trying to make the argument that Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam hold a more conservative world view than a liberal one, then I've got nothing else to say to you on this one.
I don't think anyone really knows for sure. No one here has access to their voting records and all their private, personal, political thoughts. But their certainly not as liberal as many other artist out there and you can't deny that many Republicans identify with U2's Christianity, and big business in a way that some Democrats would not.

If it could be tracked, I think you would find equal numbers of Republicans, Independents, and Democrats at U2 concerts or buying the albums in the United States.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #408
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Have you actually read U2 at the End of the World?

Or any of Bono's interviews in the last, oh, say 20 years??
Sure have, and there are several qoutes in At the End of the world that completely contradict the notion that U2 are pacifist which some people in here had troubling handling when it was pointed out to them.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #409
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
And before you get too much into your victim role as the poor persecuted conservative

The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #410
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Sure have, and there are several qoutes in At the End of the world that completely contradict the notion that U2 are pacifist which some people in here had troubling handling when it was pointed out to them.
1)Being a pacifist is not a prerequisite to holding a generally liberal world view. Nor is it necessarily indicative of conservative world view.

2)So you found several quotes. And then there's the bulk of their interviews where it is clear that their world view is mostly liberal.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #411
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
The membership in this particular forum is not representitive of all U2 fans in the United States.
Nor did I ever claim it was. However, when you say this:

Quote:
Maybe its not an accident that there are only 10 or so people truely on the other side of the political fence in here.
Then I think pointing out the makeup of this forum is more than appropriate.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 AM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
And left/right, particularly in the way it pertains to Christianity and how it mixes with politics, is certainly not the same globally as it is in the United States.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #413
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Sting, you conveniently overlook the fact that 1/4 of U2 - Adam - is not religious at all. And you overlook the fact that U2's brand of religion is a much more open-minded, inclusive, and non-judgemental than much of the American brand of Christianity. They've never passed judgement on anyone. They spent an entire decade of their existence putting out music that questioned faith rather than celebrated it. Their brand of Christianity is hardly the same as the American right-wing brand.

Furthermore, you overlook the fact that when Bono was meeting with Bush those few times between 2002 and 2005, that it was reported that it made his bandmates, Edge in particular, very uncomfortable because he(Edge) HATED Bush.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #414
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
that said whether a head of state democrat or republican, if a threat is made againgst him -it is a federal offense.

i found it humorus how some act like when/if a person is threatening pres. bush with it was big of them to tell them that they wouldn't stand for it, when in fact it's a federal offense.
Actually, the law you're citing (18USC789) also applies to the VP, to Presidents-elect and VPs-elect, to "major candidates" for either office, and to immediate family members of all the above. It requires a credible threat of bodily harm, though, which Diemen's example certainly wouldn't constitute, and as far as it goes I very much doubt shouting "Kill him" at a rally would, either.

But that's beside the point; the reason such non-credible "threats" would be addressed in here is that it's plain old fucking pathetic idiocy to suggest that assassinating our politicians is a reasonable way to solve problems.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM   #415
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow, I leave for one evening of Cardinology and this thread has taken one of the most cringe worthy turns I've seen in a long while...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #416
Forum Moderator

I agree, it's an absurd tangent.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #417
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Wow, I leave for one evening of Cardinology and this thread has taken one of the most cringe worthy turns I've seen in a long while...
Very nice
Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #418
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The membership in this particular forum is not limited to just US U2 fans.
And the rest of the world outside of the USA has a clear preference for Obama.
BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama win preferred in world poll
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #419
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I agree, it's an absurd tangent.
Sting brought it up. It's a topic that is irrelevant to this thread, but it's so easy to remind him of what he's overlooking when he starts trying to convince us that U2 are conservative. I don't think I said anything that isn't true.

Anyway.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #420
Forum Moderator

I was referring to both tangents of the last few pages actually, including the one I just replied to.

As you say, anyway...