2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:up:

i hope Powell will be given the chance to atone for his participation in the Bush White House.

this is one step forward.

I do not believe he needs to atone. I believe he stayed as long as he could for the good of the country. I believe he was given the same bogus bullshit intelligence that the congress was. I believe he is a hero and needs to atone for NOTHING. Just because he endorses Obama, does not mean he is on the road to recovery.

The record shows he was a voice of reason behind the scenes.

Powell is calling out the GOP on being racist xenophobes and for selecting Palin.

No, he is calling out members of his party. He is still a member of the party. He is not calling out the entire GOP.

I believe Powell went along with some things despite huge doubts. I believe that on the inside he knew what he was doing is wrong. I believe he has major regrets about that and he will have to live with it.

Ultimately we are all projecting. I just think that he knew better and did nothing or didn't do enough. And has the conscience for regret whereas others don't.

I do not believe he needs to atone. I believe he stayed as long as he could for the good of the country. I believe he was given the same bogus bullshit intelligence that the congress was. I believe he is a hero and needs to atone for NOTHING. Just because he endorses Obama, does not mean he is on the road to recovery.

The record shows he was a voice of reason behind the scenes.

it's less that he needs to atone and more that he wants to atone.

as he should.

I believe Powell went along with some things despite huge doubts. I believe that on the inside he knew what he was doing is wrong. I believe he has major regrets about that and he will have to live with it.

Ultimately we are all projecting. I just think that he knew better and did nothing or didn't do enough. And has the conscience for regret whereas others don't.

I agree with this assessment 100%.

No, he is calling out members of his party. He is still a member of the party. He is not calling out the entire GOP.

Actually he said "the PARTY" has moved too far to the right, as exemplified by Palin and that he wouldn't want two more conservative SCOTUS judges.

That was in addition to calling out specific members as you indicated.

Actually he said "the PARTY" has moved too far to the right, as exemplified by Palin and that he wouldn't want two more conservative SCOTUS judges.

That was in addition to calling out specific members as you indicated.
actually.....I was referring to the xenophobe comment...In no way shape or form, did he do what Irvine posted.

Powell is calling out the GOP on being racist xenophobes and for selecting Palin.

There is a difference between saying the party moved to the right and the GOP are are racists.

Sorry, but it matters to me.

Fair enough.

I will say that I am uncomfortable by Sarah Palin in that respect though. I don't believe McCain is a racist or a xenophobe or anything of the sort. I will be honest, I don't get that feeling from her at all. I would not feel comfortable living in a country under her leadership as an outsider. And I didn't even feel that way with Bush, so that tells you something. I really hope we never have to see that woman again on a national stage after November 5th.

I think Powell did a good job at summing up how many of the centerist leaning members of the Republican party feel.

actually.....I was referring to the xenophobe comment...In no way shape or form, did he do what Irvine posted.

There is a difference between saying the party moved to the right and the GOP are are racists.

Sorry, but it matters to me.

he had talked about the GOP allowing the anti-Muslim stuff.

The retired general said that "John McCain is as non-discriminatory as anyone I know," but he expressed serious concerns about his campaign's, and the Republican Party's recent focus on Obama's past association with William Ayers and robocalls the campaign has placed in battleground states this past week.

"I think this goes too far. I think it's made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me. The party has moved further to the right," he said

Hey, maybe I am mistaken. In my opinion he was talking about people within the campaign and party. I do not take that to mean the entire GOP.

If you in your mind believe that the GOP is a group of xenophobes, I cannot change that.

I heard a man talk about the party in the manner I have felt since 2000. That said, I do not believe he was implying to the extent that your post indicates.

Hey, maybe I am mistaken. In my opinion he was talking about people within the campaign and party. I do not take that to mean the entire GOP.

If you in your mind believe that the GOP is a group of xenophobes, I cannot change that.

I heard a man talk about the party in the manner I have felt since 2000. That said, I do not believe he was implying to the extent that your post indicates.

i don't think it's a mystery that the GOP has operatives using racism, xenophobia, and anti-muslim imagery and arguments against Obama.

and i don't think it's a mystery that there's unspoken approval of this by elements of the McCain campaign because it will help drive out turn out in some areas.

so it's endorsement through non-condemnation.

do i think McCain himself is a racist xenophobe? no. i don't think HRC was either. but she did give that whole, "he's not a Muslim as far as i know" answer, and that's what's going on here.

the robocalls are disgusting.

you're right that it wasn't a condemnation of everyone in the GOP, but it was a condemnation of the manner in which the GOP is conducting this campaign.

l_b02af34c10c94e51943a620636c741f5.jpg

I wasn't going to, but baby if you say so I'll do it...

Powell does not impress me much.

He has waited until Obama has practically clinched it until giving an endorsement.

If Obama was 10 points behind in the polls, and Powell endorsed him, that would be more meaningful.

Powell strikes me as a guy with no convictions of his own, but who waits to see what way the public mood is shifting before deciding what his own opinions are.

Good for Colin Powell.
I like the reasons he gave.
It's unfortunate he couldn't stand up to Bush....

Yes, nice to finally hear a major politician basically say "So what if he was a Muslim?". I've been waiting to hear that...

:up: :up:

That's what pissed me off about McCain's lame and weak statement to that woman a week or so ago: "no, he's not a Muslim, he's a decent American..."

Wtf? John, you're implying that Muslims can't be decent or American.

he had talked about the GOP allowing the anti-Muslim stuff.

Here is the diatribe:

Now, I understand what politics is all about. I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for. And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign and they trouble me. And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift. I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration. I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the party say. And it is permitted to be said such things as, "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some seven-year-old Muslim-American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet, I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, "He's a Muslim and he might be associated terrorists." This is not the way we should be doing it in America.

i don't think it's a mystery that the GOP has operatives using racism, xenophobia, and anti-muslim imagery and arguments against Obama.

But I will tell you what....

I can overlook the fact that the man I am about to vote for has for over twenty years associated himself with a church that spews hatred and racism towards white people, Jewish people, and America in general. That racism and hatred is overlooked why? And he disassociates himself from it when? During the election?

So many logs in so many eyes.

But I digress, Colin Powel, a black man, is still a member of the Republican Party. He has reached the same conclusions I have about McCain, and yet he considers him his good friend. Maybe Colin is a racist too since he is a member of the GOP?

All I know, is I am reading the transcript verses a reports take with quotes, and I do not see it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27266223/page/2/

You have successfully made me tear up. Thank you for finding that picture.

But I will tell you what....

I can overlook the fact that the man I am about to vote for has for over twenty years associated himself with a church that spews hatred and racism towards white people, Jewish people, and America in general. That racism and hatred is overlooked why? And he disassociates himself from it when? During the election?

So many logs in so many eyes.

How many people in here "associate" themselves with churches that hate gays and lesbians, that promise hell for murderous women who have had abortions, and secularism in general?

The things I have heard from the pulpit of churches on these matters are no less offensive to me than the things you mention. And that is talking about your mainstream churches, where a cancerous homophobia runs rampant.

I don't judge Obama any more than people who walk into those places every Sunday and support institutions that are inherently bigoted.

My point is that any group, party, ect can be tarnished with their own form of bigotry and racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom