2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #316
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If ND is really in play then I think we might see a shift in Montana next door as well.
That'd be awesome. So far, Missoula is a liberal island in a firm Republican state.
Though even if that were to change and Montana would become a battleground state, it's such an unimportant state electoral college-wise that it wouldn't bring any interesting campaigning this way.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #317
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
That'd be awesome. So far, Missoula is a liberal island in a firm Republican state.
Though even if that were to change and Montana would become a battleground state, it's such an unimportant state electoral college-wise that it wouldn't bring any interesting campaigning this way.
Off topic, but is it true there are no speed limits on the highways in Montana?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #318
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:33 PM
getting blown off by Charlie Crist? damn.

Quote:
Florida Republicans cast blame as McCain trails in polls
John McCain's plunging poll numbers in Florida have top Republicans second-guessing and starting to distance themselves from the campaign.

BY MARY ELLEN KLAS AND MARC CAPUTO

For the first time in more than a decade, Florida Republicans are considering the almost unthinkable: Their presidential nominee could lose the state.

The economy, an unpopular president, a strong opponent, and the inability of John McCain to reverse poll numbers despite repeatedly revising his strategy has top state Republicans looking for someone to blame.

''There are a lot of folks who have never been in a foxhole before and are clearly nervous,'' said Brian Ballard, a major McCain fundraiser. ``There is some finger-pointing going on a little bit too soon.''

Even Gov. Charlie Crist, who helped deliver Florida for McCain during the primary, said he will be spending more time minding the state's weak economy than campaigning for the Arizona senator in the final weeks before Election Day.

''When I have time to help, I'll try to do that,'' Crist said last week, after he flew around the state with McCain running mate Sarah Palin. Saturday, he skipped a McCain football rally and instead went to Disney World.

Once considered a potential running mate, Crist had pledged to do all he could for McCain and spent several days this summer campaigning for the Republican nominee in and outside Florida. He faults the tough economic times for McCain's difficult time in Florida, where he trails rival Barack Obama by about 5 percentage points in the polls.

No Republican has won the White House in modern times without carrying Florida. The last to lose the state was McCain's former colleague, Sen. Bob Dole, in 1996. Some Republicans say the state party hasn't done enough, while others blame McCain's national campaign.

Roger Stone, a longtime McCain supporter, said the state party and the national campaign bear almost equal blame.

''This effort lacks coordination and a cooperative spirit and it's showing,'' Stone said. ``But it's more than mechanics. The campaign has no consistent message.''

Over the summer, the Obama camp spent at least $10 million on Florida television ads -- 4,000 of the spots attacking McCain -- while McCain spent nothing.

The failure by the party and McCain's campaign to respond to an Obama radio ad in Florida that bashed McCain over embryonic stem-cell research was ''a perfect example of them not being on the ball in Florida,'' Stone said, echoing numerous Florida Republicans. But national campaign officials said McCain is within striking distance of Obama in the polls, has ample time to turn things around, and had a winning strategy until Wall Street's crash.

''It's a little early for Monday-morning quarterbacking.'' said McCain's southeast regional director, Buzz Jacobs.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

Well the poor man had to go and get engaged to a woman and for what? You'd be bitter too.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Here's a more interesting take on the Gallup from the last week & a half:

Quote:
The percentage of registered voters favoring Obama has been 50%, 51%, or 52% in each Gallup Poll Daily tracking report since Oct. 4. Support for McCain has been a steady 41% to 43% across the same time period. Thus, although the gap between the two candidates has varied from seven to 11 points in recent days, voter preferences have, in fact, been quite stable.
Gallup Daily: Obama Ahead, 51% to 41%
Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well the poor man had to go and get engaged to a woman and for what? You'd be bitter too.

i guess McCain blew him off first, and then he reaches around and blows off McCain.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #322
Blue Crack Addict

The biggest tragedy for McCain is that this is really the second time that W has fucked him but good.

The Dems had all the advantages this year, with the Bush administration's appalling "leadership" for the last 8 years. But the financial crisis is really icing on the cake.

McCain should go commiserate with Jeb.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It might be. There might also have been some statistical error, making it just an outlier. I mean, only a month ago McCain was up 53%-41%. So that's a huge swing to the statistical tie it is now (45%-43% for Obama). Still, both figures are a far cry from the 27/28 point margin Bush had in 2004 and 2000.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #324
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that used to be the case. I think the law was that you had to drive at a "reasonable" speed. (Ha.) Nowadays they do have posted speed limits. I think on the interstates it's 75 or something else that's higher than the norm in other states.

When I moved to Seattle, we would go for miles and miles on the interstate in Montana without seeing another car. We'd stop at a rest stop and only hear birds - very eerie! And there would be exit ramps that would be a dirt road leading to a closed fence - like a ranching road.

Very strange, yet very cool.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Only a month ago, Obama was down 20 in North Carolina according to SUSA....
Old 10-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #326
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Not anymore. They say that was only in place for a short period of time and speed limits were reintroduced about nine years ago.
It's unbelievable. You have big, free highways with very light slopes but are not allowed to go more than 110 or 130km/h.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #327
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I dunno.

Suppose a group of Obama supporters had a parade going down Main Street in Cheyenne Wy during Cowboy Days, or Pioneer Days in Salt Lake City, Ut- state hoilidays held once a year in their states during the summer months.

Do you really believe that you would have the same vitriolic and obscene gestures and feedback from observers in Wy or Ut. as you did Manhattan?

Be honest now.

<>
I wasn't being dishonest before.

I don't know the first thing about Cheyenne or SLC society, so I'll guess no. I don't expect either candidate's supporters would encounter all that many boos and raised middle fingers (plus racial epithets and non-injurious projectiles, which, together with a considerably increased middle-finger count, I'd add to the likely responses list at decidedly non-'intellectual' Neshoba) if they tried marching through a public fair in most localities--which I still find an obnoxious PR concept to begin with. Yes, flipping marchers off is crass and childish. And morally equating it to failure to address far, far more dangerous, "vitriolic," "obscene," and repulsive sentiments like "Kill him!" "Off with his head!" "Terrorist!" "Killer!" and "Traitor!" towards an opponent at a rally presided over by a candidate is ridiculous--again, show me where Obama supporters have shouted "Kill him" "Off with his head" and the rest about McCain at formal campaign events with Obama or Biden presiding. That, God forbid, would be analogous. Lewis is right to be unnervingly reminded of the scattered shouts of "Kill 'em, Kill 'em, Kill 'em" at some of Wallace's campaign rallies. We're not talking run-of-the-mill lameass boo-hiss stuff here.

As I said earlier, my guess is it's Palin this particularly frightening fringe contingent is attracted by, and I think I understand why. McCain has never excited the rednecks in his own right, and I don't expect that to change.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #328
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Saturday, [Crist] skipped a McCain football rally and instead went to Disney World.
Ouch.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Ouch.

That's the first thing that thought, too----especially since it's right after his quote about helping McCain if he has time.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #330
Refugee

Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Go tell it to David Brooks, of your conservative Republican persuasion.

I can't believe you are standing there with a straight face and telling us that intellectuals and "elites" have not been scorned by the Republicans. Did you watch the GOP convention this year? Did you not hear Romney's speech? Giuliani's speech? Please. Get a dose of reality check.
Liberal intellectuals and elites have been scorned by Republicans in the past, but not intellectuals and elites in general. Have you not heard the praise for General Patraeus? Have you not heard the praise for the United States military? Do you really think Republicans despise someone like Alan Greenspan?

I suggest you turn the TV off and examine the issue a little more closely and I'm sure you'll come to understand just how absurd the following statements were:

Quote:
People who are educated, intellectuals, and heaven forbid went to the top schools are not welcome in the Republican party. Anti-intellectualism runs rabid, and Barack Obama was right this summer when he said that these people actually take pride in being ignorant.