2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #286
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
The continued use of the word "intellectuals" as a pejorative term is the saddest fucking thing.....
You know where they filmed that? It's the Columbus Avenue Festival. Well-known of course for the swarm of highbrow PhD holders it attracts with its thoroughly pretentious and elitist medley of street vendors, arm-wrestling competitions and children's music and dance events. Kind of obnoxious to ram a political campaign march through it in the first place IMO.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #287
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
You know where they filmed that? It's the Columbus Avenue Festival. Well-known of course for the swarm of highbrow PhD holders it attracts with its thoroughly pretentious and elitist medley of street vendors, arm-wrestling competitions and children's music and dance events. Kind of obnoxious to ram a political campaign march through it in the first place IMO.
Having lived the first 26 years of my life in The Bronx, I'm pretty damned positive that NYC has plenty to offer in the way of the not-so-intellectuals.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #288
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:07 PM
i find the double standard a bit troubling here, but not surprising-nonetheless.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #289
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Try running an Obama campaign 'march' through the Neshoba County Fair (in MS near where I grew up, where Reagan famously kicked off his campaign) and I guarantee you you'd get much worse than boos from the people whose festivities you're interrupting. A formal campaign event with the candidate presiding is a completely different setting--show me where people are shouting "Off With His Head" "Kill Him" "Traitor" "Killer" and "Terrorist" about McCain at Obama's rallies.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Diamond, do you agree with the sentiment expressed in the written commentary? Believe any of it?
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #291
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
i find the double standard a bit troubling here, but not surprising-nonetheless.

<>

What I find troubling is that you won't answer the questions you are given... but not suprising-nonetheless.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #292
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Try running an Obama campaign 'march' through the Neshoba County Fair (in MS near where I grew up, where Reagan famously kicked off his campaign) and I guarantee you you'd get much worse than boos from the people whose festivities you're interrupting. A formal campaign event with the candidate presiding is a completely different setting--show me where people are shouting "Off With His Head" "Kill Him" "Traitor" "Killer" and "Terrorist" about McCain at Obama's rallies.
I dunno.

Suppose a group of Obama supporters had a parade going down Main Street in Cheyenne Wy during Cowboy Days, or Pioneer Days in Salt Lake City, Ut- state hoilidays held once a year in their states during the summer months.

Do you really believe that you would have the same vitriolic and obscene gestures and feedback from observers in Wy or Ut. as you did Manhattan?

Be honest now.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #293
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I dunno.

Suppose a group of Obama supporters had a parade going down Main Street in Cheyenne Wy during Cowboy Days, or Pioneer Days in Salt Lake City, Ut- state hoilidays held once a year in their states during the summer months.

Do you really believe that you would have the same vitriolic and obscene gestures and feedback from observers in Wy or Ut. as you did Manhattan?

Be honest now.

<>
Yes, because I've seen it. We're even seeing it now at McCain rallies.

You are ignoring quite a bit if you don't realize that...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Actually I agree with financeguy that I think McCain isn't a racist and probably this isn't the way he wants to win.
Sorry, but McCain yesterday talked of "whipping Obama´s you know what". This clearly is a racist remark with America´s history of slavery.

So what´s next, Senator McCain? Hang him from a tree? Burning crosses?

I thought there´s no place for racism in American politics anymore. Apparently, McCain´s last chance is to win votes from the extreme right, racist people who will never accept an Afro-American Prez.
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #295
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
rallies.

...

parades.

2 different things.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #296
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
Sorry, but McCain yesterday talked of "whipping Obama´s you know what". This clearly is a racist remark with America´s history of slavery.

.

no it's not.

it's mccain's weak attempt of trying to paint himself as the elder statesman and o as the inexperienced statesman.

youre jumping to the race card to quickly my friend.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #297
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
parades.

2 different things.

<>

Read my post.


"Yes, because I've seen it."

and then I said:

"We're EVEN SEEING IT NOW at McCain rallies."
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #298
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
no it's not.

it's mccain's weak attempt of trying to paint himself as the elder statesman and o as the inexperienced statesman.

youre jumping to the race card to quickly my friend.

<>
I agree. It's just an old man once again showing us his poor judgement in using a well known phrase. I don't think he's an outright racist.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #299
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,886
Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
Sorry, but McCain yesterday talked of "whipping Obama´s you know what". This clearly is a racist remark with America´s history of slavery.

So what´s next, Senator McCain? Hang him from a tree? Burning crosses?
C'mon now.

It was cocky old fighter pilot talk. Clearly not racism.
__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
no it's not

youre jumping to the race card to quickly my friend.
Yes it is, and no I´m not jumping the race card too quick. What else should whipping an Afro-American mean, my friend? I don´t care whether he IS a racist or not, the remark itself is racist.

Diehard fans, of course, will excuse every racist remark of their leader.
__________________

__________________
hiphop is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com