2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 10. - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #181
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It could happen...it could always happen. But at the same time you'd have to have a pretty short memory to think these kinds of hysterical accusations about a Presidential candidate in the thick of election season are unprecedented.
Indeed. McCain of all people should remember, seeing as he was the victim of this a short 8 years ago, and now he's on the opposite end and seemingly has no qualms about it.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
But there's real, physical danger in this.

i absolutely agree.

it is terrifying.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #183
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It could happen...it could always happen. But at the same time you'd have to have a pretty short memory to think these kinds of hysterical accusations about a Presidential candidate in the thick of election season are unprecedented.

but having a black presidential candidate is unprecedented.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #184
Blue Crack Addict

Another Republican Congressman who doesn't like what he sees...

Quote:
LaHood supports the McCain ticket, but doesn't like what he sees at some of the McCain-Palin rallies: When Barack Obama's name has been mentioned by Sarah Palin, there are shouts of "terrorist," and LaHood says Palin should put a stop to it.

"Look it," LaHood said. "This doesn't befit the office that she's running for. And frankly, people don't like it."

LaHood says it could backfire on the Republican ticket.

He says the names that Obama is being called, "Certainly don't reflect the character of the man."
Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #185
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but having a black presidential candidate is unprecedented.
Meaning therefore the hysterics are more likely to get violent? Maybe. But in the end it only takes one, and said ones tend to be unhinged to begin with. Are Obama's campaign offices being firebombed? His campaign workers attacked and beaten? Look, this is a morbid thing to fixate on.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Meaning therefore the hysterics are more likely to get violent? Maybe. But in the end it only takes one, and said ones tend to be unhinged to begin with. Are Obama's campaign offices being firebombed? His campaign workers attacked and beaten? Look, this is a morbid thing to fixate on.

yes, it is morbid. but i do think the hysterics are more likely to get violent, and given the fact that we don't see too many 72 year old white veterans dragged from the back of a pickup truck, i'd say that murderous violence directed towards blacks is far more likely. yes, the crazies went after the Kennedy brothers, so it's not so much that being white doesn't protect you from an assassination, but i think being black -- and, more importantly for today, having a Muslim-sounding name -- is far more likely to incite the crazies.

the tone of the rallies is very concerning.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:07 PM
At last, McCain shows some real balls and takes a step toward earning the title of "honorable hero" that he claims to have:

YouTube - McCain Tries to Tame Flames He Earlier Fanned

different clip:
YouTube - McCain: "You Do Not Have To Be Scared" of Obama as President

MCCAIN IMPLORES SUPPORTERS TO BE 'RESPECTFUL'
Quote:
McCain implores supporters to be 'respectful'
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 5:52 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, McCain

From NBC/NJ's Adam Aigner-Treworgy
McCain just called on his supporters to be respectful at his town hall.

"We want to fight, and I want to fight, but we will be respectful," McCain said to boos at first. "I want everyone to be respectful," he then said and people began to clap.

In response to a later question he added, "You can be respectful and point out facts," as he called on his supporters to point out facts to their neighbors but be respectful.

*** UPDATE *** McCain just added, "He is a decent person and a person who you do not have to be scared as president of the United States."

Now here's the thing: The crowd booed when McCain said this.

Is it too late? Has he planted a demon seed?

Better yet----Will he pull down his 'terrorist' commercials? Will he stop asking, "Who is Barack Obama?" Will Sarah Palin stop saying shit like "Barack Obama doesn't love our country"?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #188
Refugee

If John McCain is still the John McCain I believe in, then he would fire his campaign staff and ask Palin to step down. They are spreading an underlying tone of hate and bigotry, and it's getting desperately ugly. These dirty politics and lies the McCain campaign is spreading is effecting my respect for McCain and his honor.

We are one as a nation, but this election is making the fences between our neighbors taller.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I would be so thrilled if, at the next debate, Obama directly asks McCain:

"Senator, do you believe that I am Muslim?

Do you believe that I am a terrorist?"

When McCain is obliged to say "No," it's game over.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #190
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:07 PM
I wonder if Palin will back off her "palling around with terrorists" talk. I wonder if the outlandish negative ads will stop now that McCain has rediscovered the desire to run a respectful campaign.

I get the sneaking suspicion he's going to allow the negativity to continue through his campaign, but he will maintain the veneer of respect so that he can say "but it's not me saying these things - I'm being respectful!"
Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 PM
this election is feeling like Dole/Clinton 1996 redux.

<>
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #192
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
I would be so thrilled if, at the next debate, Obama directly asks McCain:

"Senator, do you believe that I am Muslim?

Do you believe that I am a terrorist?"

When McCain is obliged to say "No," it's game over.
McCain defended Obama today when a woman said she couldn't trust Obama because "he is an Arab". McCain took the microphone back and shaking his head said America should not be scared of Obama.

The crowd then booed McCain. What a fucked up world. to McCain for showing some kind of integrity.

AP Story: The Associated Press: McCain booed after trying to calm anti-Obama crowd
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

you know what scares me, the loonies that are showing up at McCain's rallys lately. Why are these people being drawn out? Is it because he is leaning so far to the right that it's drawing out or attracting the extreme right wing media? I mean who knows what these people will do next..
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #194
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
you know what scares me, the loonies that are showing up at McCain's rallys lately. Why are these people being drawn out? Is it because he is leaning so far to the right that it's drawing out or attracting the extreme right wing media? I mean who knows what these people will do next..
Because a lot of these people are uneducated hillj-acks that live in the boonies. They are close-knit communities that are afraid of their values and interests becoming irrelevant in a changing world.

I don't want to point fingers, but they are attracting the attention: mainly (but not all) white, rural, Christian Americans.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

i know that... but what is drawing the hillbillies out the hills. Something is being said that is drawing their attention. Like I said it must be the far right media (christian too) that must be spewing some major crap. Can't be just the he's a muslim crap.