2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 12: T=zero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
debbie.gif

FTW! Perfect post beav...

You voted for the other guy, didn't you? :wink:

I abstained. I honestly couldn't make a decision between the two. Though near the very end I might have been leaning just a bit towards Obama, if only because Sarah Palin was such a terrible VP pick. But only slightly, if at all.

How is NV not showing as blue? It's 60% to Obama for Christ's sake! Even MT should be blue! 53%

Unfuckingbelievable! The night when red states turned blue! :faint:

No. That's fine. But suddenly the country is destined to be a shining example of good again or something? Celebrate all you want, but don't lose perspective.

You'll find it's because of the fact that America didn't give the win to the disgraceful, hate filled McCain campaign that a lot of people feel better about America.

No. That's fine. But suddenly the country is destined to be a shining example of good again or something? Celebrate all you want, but don't lose perspective.

Personally, at this moment, for me, it's what this night represents. Our country is living up to its to the promise of equality it was founded upon. This is a country where only 45 years ago Barack Obama would've had to drink from a different fountain in some states. Now, he's our president. I am so proud. As Jon Stewart said a little while ago, "The U.S. is finally living up to it's ideals." It's simply remarkable. We can talk about policy and goals tomorrow, tonight is a night of a dream being realized.

The fact that the people of the united states took the high road, didn't fall victim to negative politicking and personal attacks, and elected a BLACK MAN to the highest possible position, most powerful man in the world, is a feat worth celebrating.

Regardless of which perspective you use, this IS a shining example, and this IS a turning point in the history of this young country.

Obama has a shitty-assed job ahead, and may well fail, but the COUNTRY made a huge stride today, it is starting to grow up.

Word. And didn't you get the sense as he calmed those boos that he was wondering to himself why he ever sold his soul to these kinds of people?

(Finally got CNN.com live streaming broadcast! :D Hopefully my computer doesn't freeze up--probably will though).

He did look pretty disgusted at times. I am glad he was able to be gracious -- I was never in any danger of voting for him, but I always rather respected him. He lost my respect during this campaign. He gained a little back with that speech.

The fact that the people of the united states took the high road, didn't fall victim to negative politicking and personal attacks, and elected a BLACK MAN to the highest possible position, most powerful man in the world, is a feat worth celebrating.

Regardless of which perspective you use, this IS a shining example, and this IS a turning point in the history of this young country.

Obama has a shitty-assed job ahead, and may well fail, but the COUNTRY made a huge stride today, it is starting to grow up.

And how many people voted for him purely because of that idealistic notion? Probably a shit load I'd imagine. Especially in the younger voters. That I have a problem with.

I'm feeling bad for him right now. For her? She's one of the worst divisive politicians I've ever seen. Good riddance, bitch. :wave:

:yes:

That was one of the most eloquent and high-road concession speeches I've heard. As others have said, if this McCain had showed up earlier in the process, he might have had a shot. And he looked truly pained, and sincere in his efforts to silence the hateful element in the crowd.

She, on the other hand... stood there smirking and smiling and looking out of the corner of her eye while the catcalls and hate speech flew... she loved it! Biatch, indeed. If the Republican party doesn't send her packing back to Alaska, they deserve to lose even bigger next go round!

I think it's more that other parts of the world have the hope you may once again become a shining example - not a guarantee but a much better chance than you've had in recent years. The promise is an America that can be negotiated with on many levels (please don't apply this to terrorism - GW has unfortunately tied the word negotiate to that), and hopefully related to by citizens of the world who have thought the US to be a laughing stock, albeit a frightening one - the truth is to be seen, but that kind of promise is worth a worldwide celebration. America has taken a very brave and overwhelmingly united step forward, and the world is very happy to celebrate your bravery.

Congratulations.

But he and that idiot he picked cultivated that, so I have no sympathy for him at all.

That attitude was there long before McCain. He just embraced it.

Fatal mistake, IMO.

Again, it's a case of selling his soul, because he's on the record having repudiated this type of attitude in the past.

And how many people voted for him purely because of that idealistic notion? Probably a shit load I'd imagine. Especially in the younger voters. That I have a problem with.

Probably not as many as the people who voted against him purely based on color.

I'm sure people would have a problem with you not voting at all, too. People will always find fault with the reasons people voted for who they voted for.

Yeah, it's clearly good to ignore policy values, and vote because it's inspired to elect a black man.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom