2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread 12: T=zero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else have trouble getting in to Interference today? I finally had to do a Google search for the site. The first listing didn't work--same internal error message--but the second one got me in. The same thing happened at my home and work computer.

I was worried I was going to miss the election on FYM!

There are a few posts elsewhere on the forum asking the same thing, sean. It's not just you.

I think it's absurd that results are trickling in while polls are still open. It's beyond ridiculous. In Canada, a law was passed a few years ago that forbade networks from announcing results until the last poll on the West Coast closed.

I think it's absurd that results are trickling in while polls are still open. It's beyond ridiculous. In Canada, a law was passed a few years ago that forbade networks from announcing results until the last poll on the West Coast closed.

Not sure how it works in Canada - in the US it is 50 separate contests.

I think so, too. Or at least most of the polls. If they waited until all 50 states closed the polls, I think Alaska is the last, that would make it 1:00 am on the east coast.

I would hope most people on the west coast who haven't voted by this point a) already firmly know who they're voting for; and/or b) have enough common sense to know that the numbers reported so far are less than 1% of the votes and shouldn't dissuade them from voting because their guy is winning or losing already.

Yeah I find this strange as well. In Ireland election results are not released until the following day.

It's still not even early evening West Coast, as Cori said.

Well, not really. Local/provincial polls can be announced when they close, there's just a news blackout in western time zones.

I would hope most people on the west coast who haven't voted by this point a) already firmly know who they're voting for; and/or b) have enough common sense to know that the numbers reported so far are less than 1% of the votes and shouldn't dissuade them from voting because their guy is winning or losing already.

One would hope, but...

Anybody else have trouble getting in to Interference today? I finally had to do a Google search for the site. The first listing didn't work--same internal error message--but the second one got me in. The same thing happened at my home and work computer.

I was worried I was going to miss the election on FYM!

OMFG!!
yes I did TOO.... around 4:45 - 5:50P-- I kept refreshing the page all I got was the Url in site positionand and a white page WTF:HUH: ??!!!

finally I thot to click on the sub-link "community" and that got me in! :heart:

I know - I found myself already getting worked up about it, but have to keep reminding myself that:

It's less than 1% of votes reported.
And whoever the winner is, they're not going to win ALL the states anyway.

Exactly. We've got another anti-choice prop to vote down as well. Yes, the same damn one which was voted down a few years ago. :|

That's silly. There ought to be a law that says something like 'once a state proposition has been voted on, an identical proposition may not be placed on the ballot again for x years'...where x is maybe, I don't know, 10.

That's silly. There ought to be a law that says something like 'once a state proposition has been voted on, an identical proposition may not be placed on the ballot again for x years'...where x is maybe, I don't know, 10.
Are you sure you want that? What if it was a vote for something fundamentally important which you support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom