2008: John McCain VS. Hillary Clinton - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:00 AM
2008: John McCain VS. Hillary Clinton

If the race in 2008 is McCain VS. Clinton, who do you plan to vote for? Try to choose one of them instead of listing a third party candidate. I'm interested to see where FYM stands on such a race.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe we could get a mod to turn this into an actual poll...

Until then...honestly it's a tough one for me. I'd have to see how the campaign would play out.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:00 AM
i don't think McCain will be able to get out of the primaries given the current climate of the Republican party and the need to play to the evangelical base. McCain is simply too moderate. let's not forget: this man was personally destroyed by Rove & Co in South Carolina in 2000 via a whispering campaign that included the lies that Cindy McCain was a drug addict, McCain himself was unstable, and that he had fathered a black child out of wedlock. while his profile has been elevated in the past 4 years, not least by his shameless campaigning for Bush (who he is said to personally despise) in 2004, he's done nothing other than be moderate and reasonable and hawkish. by refusing to, say, make a diagnosis via videotape on Terri Schiavo in order to pander to the histronics of the Republican base, McCain might be already dead in the water.

as for HRC, still too early to tell. i think, politically, she's got all the right moves, has been able to deliver nuanced but clear positions and effectively triangulate hot button issues like abortion and seem sane when embracing "parent" issues like violent video games. however, she's not a terribly effective public speaker, and while she's gangbusters at pounding home a message and sticking to talking points, she's got none of her husband's charisma and soulfulness.

while i think McCain is the best the Republicans have to offer, personally, i don't think he flies. i think HRC is a great asset to the Democrats, but as a Senator. i'd rather not see her run.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

while i think McCain is the best the Republicans have to offer, personally, i don't think he flies. i think HRC is a great asset to the Democrats, but as a Senator. i'd rather not see her run.
amen to this
Old 07-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i don't think McCain will be able to get out of the primaries given the current climate of the Republican party and the need to play to the evangelical base. McCain is simply too moderate. let's not forget: this man was personally destroyed by Rove & Co in South Carolina in 2000 via a whispering campaign that included the lies that Cindy McCain was a drug addict, McCain himself was unstable, and that he had fathered a black child out of wedlock. while his profile has been elevated in the past 4 years, not least by his shameless campaigning for Bush (who he is said to personally despise) in 2004, he's done nothing other than be moderate and reasonable and hawkish. by refusing to, say, make a diagnosis via videotape on Terri Schiavo in order to pander to the histronics of the Republican base, McCain might be already dead in the water.

as for HRC, still too early to tell. i think, politically, she's got all the right moves, has been able to deliver nuanced but clear positions and effectively triangulate hot button issues like abortion and seem sane when embracing "parent" issues like violent video games. however, she's not a terribly effective public speaker, and while she's gangbusters at pounding home a message and sticking to talking points, she's got none of her husband's charisma and soulfulness.

So, if the race in 2008 shapes up to be McCain VS. Clinton, who would you vote for?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Maybe we could get a mod to turn this into an actual poll...

Until then...honestly it's a tough one for me. I'd have to see how the campaign would play out.
I agree, a mod should turn this into an actual poll. Based on what you know about both McCain and Clinton, if you had to vote for one, who would it be at this time?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I really don't know. They both have their pros and cons, as Irvine pointed out in his previous post. I'll get back to you on this one.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

OK, if the race were actually Clinton vs. McCain............
*tosses coin*
Hillary, but I wouldn't be too upset if she didn't win. It'd be a strangely laid back Election Day. Most Election Days I'm a nervous wreck.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:00 AM
McCain, if I had a vote that is.

At the end of the day, it will be the candidate with the most money, which probably means Clinton.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
Refugee

McCain.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
The Fly

I honestly think Rudy Guiliani is going to get the nod. He began preparations for the 2008 run, in my opinion, by assisting Bush last year. I think he would beat McCain in the primaries and would be a solid contender in '08.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I know you said "try not use a 3rd party candidate", but I'd have to. I wouldn't want to vote for McCain or Hilary.

But if someone put a gun in my face and told me to pull the lever for one of these two, I'd vote McCain.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

So, if the race in 2008 shapes up to be McCain VS. Clinton, who would you vote for?

very hard. i think McCain would be the better leader, but Republicans come with so much odious baggage that it's difficult for me not to automatically vote Democrat. on a state level, i'd have no problems voting for Republicans, as Republicans in New England tend to be rather sane and closer to the Main Street Repbulicanism of years past as opposed to the fire-and-brimstone Republicans sent to Washington from other parts of the country.

i actually don't see a Republican winning in 2008. i think the party is slowly self-immolating, there's no one (at least for now) with any sort of personal charisma who can simultaneously appeal to their bloodthirsty base and yet not frighten suburban moms, and as long as Democrats don't do their usual "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory," i think the Dems look good for 2008.

but who knows?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

that's hard to say....right now I'd probably say McCain, but it would have to depend on his stances on a lot of things (when he's not shilling for Bush).
Old 07-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a fan of some things about Hillary, some about McCain

McCain is the only Republican I'd vote for right now, I'm a Democrat and I've never voted for a Republican for President..can't see myself ever doing that but who knows