2008: John McCain VS. Hillary Clinton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
If the race in 2008 is McCain VS. Clinton, who do you plan to vote for? Try to choose one of them instead of listing a third party candidate. I'm interested to see where FYM stands on such a race.

i don't think McCain will be able to get out of the primaries given the current climate of the Republican party and the need to play to the evangelical base. McCain is simply too moderate. let's not forget: this man was personally destroyed by Rove & Co in South Carolina in 2000 via a whispering campaign that included the lies that Cindy McCain was a drug addict, McCain himself was unstable, and that he had fathered a black child out of wedlock. while his profile has been elevated in the past 4 years, not least by his shameless campaigning for Bush (who he is said to personally despise) in 2004, he's done nothing other than be moderate and reasonable and hawkish. by refusing to, say, make a diagnosis via videotape on Terri Schiavo in order to pander to the histronics of the Republican base, McCain might be already dead in the water.

as for HRC, still too early to tell. i think, politically, she's got all the right moves, has been able to deliver nuanced but clear positions and effectively triangulate hot button issues like abortion and seem sane when embracing "parent" issues like violent video games. however, she's not a terribly effective public speaker, and while she's gangbusters at pounding home a message and sticking to talking points, she's got none of her husband's charisma and soulfulness.

while i think McCain is the best the Republicans have to offer, personally, i don't think he flies. i think HRC is a great asset to the Democrats, but as a Senator. i'd rather not see her run.

Irvine511 said:
i don't think McCain will be able to get out of the primaries given the current climate of the Republican party and the need to play to the evangelical base. McCain is simply too moderate. let's not forget: this man was personally destroyed by Rove & Co in South Carolina in 2000 via a whispering campaign that included the lies that Cindy McCain was a drug addict, McCain himself was unstable, and that he had fathered a black child out of wedlock. while his profile has been elevated in the past 4 years, not least by his shameless campaigning for Bush (who he is said to personally despise) in 2004, he's done nothing other than be moderate and reasonable and hawkish. by refusing to, say, make a diagnosis via videotape on Terri Schiavo in order to pander to the histronics of the Republican base, McCain might be already dead in the water.

as for HRC, still too early to tell. i think, politically, she's got all the right moves, has been able to deliver nuanced but clear positions and effectively triangulate hot button issues like abortion and seem sane when embracing "parent" issues like violent video games. however, she's not a terribly effective public speaker, and while she's gangbusters at pounding home a message and sticking to talking points, she's got none of her husband's charisma and soulfulness.

while i think McCain is the best the Republicans have to offer, personally, i don't think he flies. i think HRC is a great asset to the Democrats, but as a Senator. i'd rather not see her run.

So, if the race in 2008 shapes up to be McCain VS. Clinton, who would you vote for?

U2democrat said:
Maybe we could get a mod to turn this into an actual poll...:hmm:

Until then...honestly it's a tough one for me. I'd have to see how the campaign would play out.

I agree, a mod should turn this into an actual poll. Based on what you know about both McCain and Clinton, if you had to vote for one, who would it be at this time?

OK, if the race were actually Clinton vs. McCain............
*tosses coin*
Hillary, but I wouldn't be too upset if she didn't win. It'd be a strangely laid back Election Day. Most Election Days I'm a nervous wreck.

McCain, if I had a vote that is.

At the end of the day, it will be the candidate with the most money, which probably means Clinton.

I honestly think Rudy Guiliani is going to get the nod. He began preparations for the 2008 run, in my opinion, by assisting Bush last year. I think he would beat McCain in the primaries and would be a solid contender in '08.

I know you said "try not use a 3rd party candidate", but I'd have to. I wouldn't want to vote for McCain or Hilary.

But if someone put a gun in my face and told me to pull the lever for one of these two, I'd vote McCain.

STING2 said:

So, if the race in 2008 shapes up to be McCain VS. Clinton, who would you vote for?

very hard. i think McCain would be the better leader, but Republicans come with so much odious baggage that it's difficult for me not to automatically vote Democrat. on a state level, i'd have no problems voting for Republicans, as Republicans in New England tend to be rather sane and closer to the Main Street Repbulicanism of years past as opposed to the fire-and-brimstone Republicans sent to Washington from other parts of the country.

i actually don't see a Republican winning in 2008. i think the party is slowly self-immolating, there's no one (at least for now) with any sort of personal charisma who can simultaneously appeal to their bloodthirsty base and yet not frighten suburban moms, and as long as Democrats don't do their usual "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory," i think the Dems look good for 2008.

but who knows?

Last edited:
I'm a fan of some things about Hillary, some about McCain

McCain is the only Republican I'd vote for right now, I'm a Democrat and I've never voted for a Republican for President..can't see myself ever doing that but who knows

That really is a tough one. I might have voted for McCain a few years back. And with Hillary, too early to tell. I'd have to see how the campaign shaped up. Either way, neither of these candidates motivates me enough to express any thoughtful commentary when the next presidential election is still over three years away.

odowdpa said:
I honestly think Rudy Guiliani is going to get the nod. He began preparations for the 2008 run, in my opinion, by assisting Bush last year. I think he would beat McCain in the primaries and would be a solid contender in '08.

Although I think Rudy would be a great nod, as tough a time as McCain will have winning the base in the Republican Party, it will be almost impossible for Rudy to win the base because of his position on abortion.

With that said, would you support McCain or Clinton in 2008?

So far:

McCain 5 votes

Clinton 1 vote

U2democrat, odowdpa, Irvine511, MrsSpringsteen, nbcrusader, barlowdog, are either undecided or have not clearly indicated who they would vote for in such a race if they had to at this time. nbcrusader said McCain would win the race, and although I assume he would vote for McCain, I'll wait to include him in the vote total until he confirms that.

The Disciple said:
I'd like 2 c the Republican party move 2 the center and nominate McCain, with Giuliani as VP.

So would you vote for McCain if he was running against Hillary Clinton?

Although I haven't liked some of his recent statements, would vote for McCain if election held today. (Unless VP was Rudy:eyebrow: )

STING2 said:

Although I think Rudy would be a great nod, as tough a time as McCain will have winning the base in the Republican Party, it will be almost impossible for Rudy to win the base because of his position on abortion.

is McCain pro-life? (sorry, don't know these things :reject: )

edit: just looked it up, apparently he's pretty pro-life (I'm sure everyone knew that but me)...anyway, I wouldn't vote solely on that issue, but his pro-life stance would be a negative for me.

Last edited:
I was glad to read your 'self-immolation of the Republicans' comment, Irvine. It's what I devoutly hope myself, and having someone who's opinion I respect say it makes my afternoon.

Well I'd probably vote Clinton, but as I've stated many times before...I don't think this country is ready for a woman president, we've taken too many steps back socially with this administration. I think the Dems would be shooting themselves in the foot if they nominated Clinton...she's make a damn good vice-pres though. She's already done it once.:wink:

Come On!!!

Doesn't anyone else here see a "DeLay-Rove" ticket!??

anyway... one more vote for McCain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom