2008: John McCain VS. Hillary Clinton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

I don't want McCain as president, but come on.

McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. He spent years as aPrisoner of War in the Vietnam War.

I'd say the man has plenty of backbone.

And as far as his support of Dubya in 2000, the man put the success of his party above his own ahead of his won feelings. I think that took a lot more backbone than lashing out in anger would.

Good points.

For the purposes of Sting's poll I voted Clinton, but I could vote for McCain as well. I voted for him in the 2000 primaries. I thought a Republican was going to get elected president that year and I wanted McCain, not Bush. That was the first time I ever voted in a Republican primary. I had an identity crisis.
:wink:

80sU2isBest said:

I don't want McCain as president, but come on.

McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. He spent years as aPrisoner of War in the Vietnam War.

I'd say the man has plenty of backbone.

And as far as his support of Dubya in 2000, the man put the success of his party above his own ahead of his won feelings. I think that took a lot more backbone than lashing out in anger would.

yeah, I didnt know that about McCain, I have been in a cave since 1978, so thanks for bringing me up to speed.

He put the success of the party ahead of his own feelings so that he might reap the benefit 4 years later. Wake up.

U2DMfan said:

yeah, I didnt know that about McCain, I have been in a cave since 1978, so thanks for bringing me up to speed.

He put the success of the party ahead of his own feelings so that he might reap the benefit 4 years later. Wake up.

Hey, you said he didn't have much backbone. If you didn't want someone to prove you wrong, you shouldn't have said something that was incorrect.

I said he doesn't have the backbone I thought. Go back and re-read. Which conceivably could have been that I thought he had the strongest backbone I have ever seen up until that point.

The truth is I thought the man was, fundamental policy differences aside, beyond reproach as far as being firm.

To cow down for politcal gain, is IMO very weak.

and how exactly can you prove my opinion wrong?
are you telling me I don't beleive what I beleive?

80's the reason I said "wake up"
was that he did it out of his own self interest.

if he doesn't run at all in 2008, then I will stand corrected and probably admire him that much more.

I think McCain knew he needed the Bush/right wing support in 2008 to stand a chance, my guess is Bush promised it to him. McCain has been a uniting force over the last 3 or 4 years. Having him on his side helped Bush quite a bit, i think. If Rove escapes the plame game, he might very well run McCains campaign, we don't know.

I am saying if you think this was some selfless act, then wake up.
And If I am wrong, and I certainly dont expect to be on this one issue, then I will owe my gratitude and respect towards John McCain even moreso.

Even though I reside in Australia, I'm pretty much wll versed in American politics. So here's my view:

Out of Clinton and McCain, I simply don't know.

I'm a but suspicious of Clinton. McCain in my view seems to be a decent human being abd definitely has all makings of a prisedent. However, I fear that if he's in the White House, he might be under the thumb of the neo-cons of the Republican Party.

Overall thought, I'll go with McCain.

U2DMfan said:
I said he doesn't have the backbone I thought. Go back and re-read. Which conceivably could have been that I thought he had the strongest backbone I have ever seen up until that point.

The truth is I thought the man was, fundamental policy differences aside, beyond reproach as far as being firm.

To cow down for politcal gain, is IMO very weak.

and how exactly can you prove my opinion wrong?
are you telling me I don't beleive what I beleive?

Or it could have meant that you used to think he had backbone and now you don't, whcih is how I took it.

I'm not saying anything about what you believe. I'm addressing how much "backbone" the man has, and his level of service, the medals he received, and the fact that he survived years in a POW camp in Vietnam go a long way toward proving that he's gotb a lot of background.

U2DMfan said:
80's the reason I said "wake up"
was that he did it out of his own self interest.

if he doesn't run at all in 2008, then I will stand corrected and probably admire him that much more.

I think McCain knew he needed the Bush/right wing support in 2008 to stand a chance, my guess is Bush promised it to him. McCain has been a uniting force over the last 3 or 4 years. Having him on his side helped Bush quite a bit, i think. If Rove escapes the plame game, he might very well run McCains campaign, we don't know.

I am saying if you think this was some selfless act, then wake up.
And If I am wrong, and I certainly dont expect to be on this one issue, then I will owe my gratitude and respect towards John McCain even moreso.

I adisagree with you in reference to his motivation. But the reason I think that is because I don't think he has a chance to win the Republican nomination, and i think he knows that.

Also, it is my opinion that McCain is not a whining kind of guy (due largely to his military history), so he would not have taken his complaints to the press. I think he would have handled it in some other fashion.

STING,

If you don't mind me asking - why these two candidates? I mean, when I think about the nomination process it's not as if I really believe either of them would end up the winners anyway.

I just had a little chat about this with my sister-in-law.
I actually voted for McCain in the primary for 2000, since he was running against Dubya and Gore was basically running unopposed (you can switch hit in Michigan). I like a lot about McCain, but I feel like I cannot forgive him for supporting Bush and for doing so vigorously. I don't doubt he was told and knew he had to or there'd be no chance in hell he could ever be the GOP nominee in the future, but it soooo sits wrong with me.
I like a lot about HRC, but worry about how polarizing she'd be...not so much from her own self from from the forces that spend so much energy hating the Clintons.
But what other Dem nominee would be better than her really? Maybe Edwards, re-energized and re-tooled? I just dunno...

cheers!

I have a question to those Republicans that said they would never vote for anyone pro-choice. Would you not vote if this were the race, or would you vote for an independent that was pro-life, or would you fold and vote republican? I'm curious for I know there are many that claim McCain to be an enemy to the republican party.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I have a question to those Republicans that said they would never vote for anyone pro-choice. Would you not vote if this were the race, or would you vote for an independent that was pro-life, or would you fold and vote republican? I'm curious for I know there are many that claim McCain to be an enemy to the republican party.

I think I am the only one who has claimed that.

I'm never quite sure about McCain's abortion views. If John McCain is not prolife, I won't vote for him. So, I would vote independent if he turns out to be the Republican candidate.

80sU2isBest said:

I think I am the only one who has claimed that.

No, you're not the only one.

80sU2isBest said:

I'm never quite sure about McCain's abortion views. If John McCain is not prolife, I won't vote for him. So, I would vote independent if he turns out to be the Republican candidate.

Thanks for an honest answer...

I will never vote for anyone who has supported this current administration so I can't support any Republication untill this current crop get's the hell out of Washington.
That includes McCain. I respected him alot untill he, as U2DMfan pointed out, cowed down for politcal gain.

Clinton.

Well, I think in 2008 it'll end up being something like Joe Biden or Bill Richardson against George Allen or Mike Huckabee. Still, if I had a vote, I'd vote Democrat no matter who they ran.

anitram said:
STING,

If you don't mind me asking - why these two candidates? I mean, when I think about the nomination process it's not as if I really believe either of them would end up the winners anyway.

As of August 2005, provided McCain and Clinton both run, they will have their parties respective nominations. No other contenders have the public stature and popularity of the two, especially in their own parties. McCain's popularity climbs every year. Jeb Bush is not running in 2008, and the conservative wing of the party will not be able to stop McCain with a Frist as their man. It is true that the hardest part of McCain's run will be the Republican nomination, but once he secures that, the democrats don't have anyone that could hold a candle to him in a race and the polls and thoughts by political experts support that conclusion. The liberal Chris Matthews has concluded that if McCain wants to run for President, he will be elected in a landslide.

sue4u2 said:
I respected him alot untill he, as U2DMfan pointed out, cowed down for politcal gain.

Now, is "cowed down" an actual figure of speech, or is it just a bastardized version of the Chinese reference of "kowtow"? :wink:

(I don't mean to be provocative, I'm genuinely curious.)

McCain 15 votes

Clinton 8 votes

Interesting results so far considering how far to the left this forum typically is. If McCain can do this well here, he'll win the election in a landslide.

STING2 said:
McCain 15 votes

Clinton 8 votes

Interesting results so far considering how far to the left this forum typically is.

This forum is 'far to the left'........ok I see we're back to this theory that FYM is a haven of far leftists out of the touch with the mainstream. :whistle:

There is precisely ONE regular poster here that I would call a 'far leftist', purely on the basis that he has advocated communism.

Only compared to Fox News is this forum 'far to the left'.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

This forum is 'far to the left'........ok I see we're back to this theory that FYM is a haven of far leftists out of the touch with the mainstream. :whistle:

There is precisely ONE regular poster here that I would call a 'far leftist', purely on the basis that he has advocated communism.

There have been multiple polls done in here on who would vote for Bush or Kerry in the election. Bush was defeated by an average of 3 to 1 in most of the polls.

Not even in the most liberal state in the United States was Bush defeated by a margin that large against Kerry.

So the members of FYM have consistently voted in a way that is more liberal than the most liberal states in the United States. So that easily would place this forum as being far to the left, and most people here have agreed with that it is when the question has come up before.

STING2 said:

So the members of FYM have consistently voted in a way that is more liberal than the most liberal states in the United States. So that easily would place this forum as being far to the left, and most people here have agreed with that it is when the question has come up before.

Are you serious? You really think that voting for Kerry over Bush makes one "far to the left"?!

financeguy said:

The most liberal State in the Union, Massachusetts, voted this way in the 2004 Election

Kerry 61.94% of the vote

Bush 36.78% of the vote

But there is a place where Bush is even more unpopular than Massachusetts, and its called FYM.

So the fact that McCain, a conservative, is crushing Clinton in a place like FYM I think is significant.

Back
Top Bottom