2008 election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edgeboy

Acrobat
Im just curious what you guys think about the coming
election. Who will run? Also, What do you guys think
about Gore running again? Although, sadly in one interview he said he wasn't planning on it. But who knows.(yes I know we still have about 2 years)

Hilary and Bayh vs. McCain and Warner.

Maybe some third-party candidate will join the fray, just to screw things up again.

I like Hillary, but I fear that she is unelectable for the unfortunate usual reasons that got us Bush back in the WH last time. I like Kerry and Gore and would support either/both again. The senator from my state, FL, is Bill Nelson. He's pretty cool, as I have reviewed his voting record and his statements on everything from right to die issues to foreign affairs. He's been in 20 years or so, and is on the Foreign Relations/Intelligence commitees. Whenever I watch hearings, he always asks the right questions, and keeps asking them until they get answered. His office informs me that he is unlikely to be a candidate. He likes being a Senator and apparently doesn't have a big enough ego to want to be Pres.-which means he'd probably be pretty good.

On the Republican side-I'm sure McCain will go for the nomination.

Here are my ticket ideas...

Democrats: Warner/Richardson, or, Feingold/Warner

Republicans: McCain/Giuliani, or, McCain/Hagel

McCain/Rice? It may be too early for a woman as President (a political reality, as unfortunate as it is), but as a Vice Presidential candidate there is already precedent.

I would mind seeing McCain and Rice or McCain and Giuliani.

For Democrats, hmmm I dont know if there is anyone good right now.

True, but what is more important now for the GOP Pro-choice/life or getting us out of this huge debt and war?

Justin24 said:
True, but what is more important now for the GOP Pro-choice/life or getting us out of this huge debt and war?

Tell that to the Christian Right that got Bush in. They would feel betrayed. We've already heard groups saying they won't come out to vote unless the canidate has the same agenda.

i hope for a women or a president of a ethinic background, will never happen cos the south wont allow it.

Well I hope someone else, who knows how to handle things gets into office. With approval ratings low, I think this could mean time for a change in parties or if the same party then hopefully they will lead better than Bush and his cronies.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This wouldn't swing with the GOP, I believe Giuliani is pro-choice.

Rudy loves the gays, too. footage of him attending Gay Pride parades in Manhattan would kill him dead in the primaries.

Irvine511 said:

Rudy loves the gays, too. footage of him attending Gay Pride parades in Manhattan would kill him dead in the primaries.

But would Democrats or Replublicans really used that to their advantage. It would be really stupid of them to. Fuck Politics. There only moral, when greenbacks are talking.

The GOP threw Gulianni under the train tracks in 2000.

And he would still be there
if 911 did not happen

He will not be on the ticket in 2008

a very casual look....

my ideal ballot would be something pretty out of the box.
A third party candidate with either liberal, moderate, conservative values, doesn't matter, just don't be a fucking incompetent hardhead who doesn't listen to dissent. But among top objectives, get lobbyists out of congress.

That said, anyone with sane policy will suffice.
If that's McCain or Biden or Kerry or whoever.
Just some competent, 'this side of batshit crazy' foreign and domestic policy.

I'd see Gore as a continuation of 'what the fuck?' moments. So a big 'no' to him.

It could be what with all of the problems Bush is having now, gay marriage or abortion might not be the issue in 2008 that it was in 2004. People will be more concerned about the mess in Iraq and the national debt if these two issues are still issues in 2008.

Started thinking about 2008 again. I'd love it if Russ Feingold ran for president. He might be seen as a non-contender right now, but you should read how he won his original Senate race in 1992:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Feingold

I also love the fact that he has consistently stuck to his principles.

Melon

I don't know. I don't think I want any Democrat or even any Republican who is considering running. I would vote 3rd party if they had a chance to win.

My mother says that John McCain is the only politician she has ever felt she can trust. This is coming from an Independent like myself.

phillyfan26 said:
My mother says that John McCain is the only politician she has ever felt she can trust. This is coming from an Independent like myself.

I think a lot of people will say this, but only because he has cultivated a very strong image. His substance is still conservative, despite his token resistance that usually ends with him voting the party line.

But Americans are long known to vote primarily on image and not on substance. McCain certainly has the advantage on that front.

Melon

Wasn't 1976 the last time there wasn't a Clinton or Bush on a ticket? Therefore you have to believe either Hillary or Jeb will be on the ballot come Nov 08.

Back
Top Bottom