2008 election - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
If a woman or member of a minority can't get elected as President, the US should be ashamed of itself.
I agree. It's so Neanderthal.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I think Warner is shit out of luck to be honest, unless he moves to the left a bit. Just a sense I get about how the Dem primaries will go, particularly if they end up winning big this November.

I love Feingold. After melon linked to his wiki page, I watched some of his old campaign ads - fabulous! I really like Wes Clark as a human being, not necessarily a presidential candidate. Plus I think he's kind of old-man hot, so sue me.
Clark is pretty good looking...though you'd be suprised how short and small he is

Feingold's great, but could he pull off a general election win?

There's a lot to happen between now and '08. The results on Nov. 7 will be significant to see how things will go.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

In comparison, in New Zealand, all of our highest offices are held by women: the reigning monarch,
It just occured to me that women have held positions of great political power for years from Hatshepsut in ancient Egypt to Catherine the Great of Russia to Elizabeth I in England (heck she even got an Era named after her). Yet in democracy, especially American democracy, women have been kept from the highest office in the land. If anything, history should be evidence enough that women are every bit as capable as men of leading the world's most powerful nation.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #49
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:54 AM
In addition to the obvious social prejudices, I think peculiarly(?) American notions of what sort of figure the President is supposed to be come into play here, too--there's a cultural tendency to crave a sort of dad/Patriarch persona for that office, I think, which can encompass a fairly wide array of personalities perhaps, but they still have to fall within a certain familiar archetypal range, or else they just won't be seen as having that "face of the nation" quality. Sounds laughable probably, I know...

When I lived in India, I found it funny (in an unpleasant way) to realize how many more women (and religious/ethnic minorities) proportionally there were in politics there--as chief ministers of states, MPs, even a female Prime Minister at one point of course--despite the fact that few here would think of India as being "ahead" of us in terms of women's place in society. Several other South Asian countries--Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka--have had female prime ministers as well. Of course these kinds of opportunities are far beyond the reach of many if not most Indian women (and men, for that matter) due to other kinds of social barriers, and for sure not all the above were politicians of great integrity--but still it was a surprising and rather embarrassing realization for me as an American.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

It just occured to me that women have held positions of great political power for years from Hatshepsut in ancient Egypt to Catherine the Great of Russia to Elizabeth I in England (heck she even got an Era named after her). Yet in democracy, especially American democracy, women have been kept from the highest office in the land. If anything, history should be evidence enough that women are every bit as capable as men of leading the world's most powerful nation.
Are you suggesting that there is something wrong with democracy?! Then you'd be right. Spreading democracy around the world especially in the Middle East will not give women what they deserve, a chance to become the leader of thier country. Popular vote or vote in the current US format, will deny women that right everytime because a bias exists not only in the rest of the world but in the US as well, that women are not able to function as leaders.
In my opinion, I would say that women can make better leaders than men in alot of ways. The highest of which is that men are less likely to utilize temperance when dealing with others. I would love to have a strong-willed woman in the White House.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'd like to be wrong, but no way in hell will a woman be elected in 2008.
Why, because America is a cesspool of sexism?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
In addition to the obvious social prejudices, I think peculiarly(?) American notions of what sort of figure the President is supposed to be come into play here, too--there's a cultural tendency to crave a sort of dad/Patriarch persona for that office, I think, which can encompass a fairly wide array of personalities perhaps, but they still have to fall within a certain familiar archetypal range, or else they just won't be seen as having that "face of the nation" quality. Sounds laughable probably, I know...

no, i think this is quite right.

there's an element of "leader of the world" tied into notions of what a president should be and look like, and that's wrapped up in notions of masculinity where guts and instinct and "balls" matter more than brains. the ability to make decisions quickly and the emphasis on results -- as opposed to more parlimentary notions of process and "fairness" and inclusion through coalition buildling -- seem to me to be tied up into American notions of government. European-style coalitons don't mesh with the dynamism (impatience?) of American culture.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Giuliani / Romney
Giuliani has no, NONE, chance to get the Rep. nom.

That said, Romney, IMO, is the front runner for the REPS.
Why? Because has the shortest track record and the biggest name.

Take a look at Governors of States and Presidential elections, it takes nothing more than a casual look.

76, 80, 84. 92, 96, 00, 04 all Governors who won.
88 was a VP of a Governor

Concerning Rudy, I think he might be able to opt out to a 3rd party and make some noise, especially if the left is churning out an anti-war candidate and the right is doling out more of the same, it's a great opportunity for our country. Will it happen? I'd guess not.

He is nothing that the right wing wants and McCain is nothing that the moderates (Indys and Dems) want. Romney might slice it down the middle and take on yet another Democratic Senator. Don't count out Biden, y'alls. He might have faults, who doesn't? He's a straight talker with a resume. Why not?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

I do not believe Biden has a chance. He had to drop out in 1988 because of a minor plagiarism scandal.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Never liked him anyway.

Chuck Hagel pipes in on November and beyond:

Quote:
"I think we've lost our way," Hagel said. "And I think the Republicans are going to be in some jeopardy for that and will be held accountable."
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hopefully, the Greens won't roll over and play dead like last time, deciding to not campaign in "swing" states. Luckily, Nader ran as an independent and my vote went to a just cause.