2006 personal savings fall to 74-yr. low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scary as hell.

Did the article factor in the combined "perfect storm" of soaring health care costs (prescription drugs, at-home care, etc, not to mention the soaring costs of the other end, the obesity epidemic, as the nation's overeight kids grow up), and even if they were healthy and had money in the bank, there will only be 2 workers for every retiree?

And given the impossibilty of any kind of Social Security reform (if it couldn't be done in a rubber-stamp Bush Congress, how could it ever be done. )Remember that the AARP is the most powerful lobby in the U.S. by far, always has been. And today, it's merely the "Greatest Generation" AARP. Wait until the Boomers take it over.

Our problem is that we are a nation living on :censored: credit cards. Mortgages at crazy rates. Blowing three grand on Plasma TV's on our Visa. We have grown complacent. If we didn't have Wal-Mart's ultra-cheap prices, and the Wendy's 99-cent Value Meal, there'd be a revolution in this country. People could not even afford to eat. My God, I wonder how much the national total is for people putting a cup of coffee on the ol'plastic at Starbuck's each year!

Gees, I work hard, don't blow money on clothes etc, try to save, but there's always some damn small bill or situation that pops up. Plus the *#$&%&# co-payments when I go to the doctor and deductibles when I don't.

Sorry for the rant but you know what I mean! Some of us DO try to save! And I don't even have kids....what's it going to be like when I do have any, God willing???

Last edited:
I try to save, but I have $5.50 in my savings account and we're close to $100,000 in debt (not including credit cards). One of my student loans is approaching 10% interest rate, so I pay double the amount required each month b/c I want it off my back. If I could put into savings the amount we're paying in each month student loans, we'd be able to put a down payment on a house or some other type of investment. Yeah, I know, education is an investment too :rolleyes:

Personal savings???? That shit actually exists?!!?

Not in my bank account, it doesn't. :slant: Mr. Blu and I were just taking a hard look at our finances tonight & it ain't a pretty sight. :no: The county is reassessing property values & we've been warned to expect a 25% increase which is going to hurt when the new tax bills come in. I've ranted plenty about my health insurance troubles from last summer & $10,000+ in medical expenses that my insurance denied. We honestly figure at this point that we have one of three options: 1) Cancel every communication and entertainment expense we have (satellite TV, cell phones, house phone, DSL) PLUS each of us take on a 2nd job; 2) put our house up for sale; or 3)file bankruptcy.

And frankly, I'm not crazy about any of those. :grumpy: I just don't have any other answers & I don't see any relief coming. :sigh:

I'm a budget fanatic. My wife hates me for it on every day of the month except one, when we balance our checkbook.

I usually get a nice meal the next nite.

I have always been a horrible saver, but a few months ago I opened an online account with INGDirect because of an ad I saw where they offered a 4.5% interest rate for savings account, and no minimum balance requirement. I set up a direct withdrawal that takes $50 out of my paycheck each time I get paid (twice a month). I find that as long as I don't "see" the money, I am not tempted to spend it or I don't feel the loss of it. Still, I am no where near where I'd like to be. :(

sulawesigirl4 said:
I have always been a horrible saver, but a few months ago I opened an online account with INGDirect because of an ad I saw where they offered a 4.5% interest rate for savings account, and no minimum balance requirement. I set up a direct withdrawal that takes $50 out of my paycheck each time I get paid (twice a month). I find that as long as I don't "see" the money, I am not tempted to spend it or I don't feel the loss of it. Still, I am no where near where I'd like to be. :(

That's a great start.

I do the same thing with my IRA.

Let 2 years go by and see how much you've saved.

compounding interest :drool:

Last edited:
I generally force myself to save a lot, and that entails utilizing the company 401K plan at a fairly high rate, and, also, setting aside a monthly automatic deposit in a separate mutual fund account (which I opened, as a result of the great advice I received here several months back regarding my thread on how to start investing!). Add that to the fact that I have a lot of student loan debt and a job that doesn't pay all that well, and I'm surprised that I'm able to pull all of this off. However, the fact that I was able to consolidate all of my student loans a couple years ago at a fixed 3.38% has helped immensely.

Ormus said:
However, the fact that I was able to consolidate all of my student loans a couple years ago at a fixed 3.38% has helped immensely.

Where? WHERE? :ohmy:

I was above 5% the day I started :scream:

Liesje said:
Where? WHERE? :ohmy:

I was above 5% the day I started :scream:

Well, forgive me if I'm merely repeating something that you already know, but...

Student loan interest rate fluctuations are generally tied to that symbolic "overnight lending" rate that we hear about all the time from "the Fed," I believe. By 2004, with our poor economy, those rates had pretty much bottomed out, which led to record low interest rates for government-based student loans (obviously, wholly private student loans have a different rate that depends on how bitchy the lender is). And that's where 3.38% was set. Thankfully, that rate is set each July, regardless of the Fed's actions, so experts are able to easily predict if the rates are going to go up or down each year. Being finished with school, I consolidated at that rate before the rate went up dramatically in 2005, which coincided with the Fed's cumulative rate increases.

I feel quite fortunate to have been able to take advantage of that rate, because I know that I wouldn't be able to afford student loan payments otherwise, sadly. School is a colossal rip-off these days.

Ah, rats, I knew it sounded too good to be true! Federal student loans always max out significantly below my cost of tuition. I have some consolidated at 2.something and more at 4.something, but 3/4 of my loans are not from the gov't and are 8-9% at the moment :huh: The $9000 at 9% is the one I'm paying double on b/c I want that sucker gone.

Can't the gov't regulate ALL interest rates? :sigh:

Mr. Brau, thanks for the article. Reading that made me a bit queasy. I mean, this is now, when all this has barely even begun. The demographic change, I mean. Wait another 20 years....it'll make the first week in New Orleans after Katrina look like a church picnic on a sunny spring day. In terms of health care suffering, etc.
I don't get the whole tax increase thing though. I'm not a fan of
Mr Bush by far, when I think "tax increase" all I can think about is how he wants to change the tax code, esp get rid of the estate taxm which he calls a "death tax" but it's an inheritance tax, which I guess is onorous for those who inherit vast corporate estates and properties worth millions.....like the Bush family....boo HOO! Can you link me to how your "tax increase" would work? I would hate to think of ugly generational conflicts but that's what's coming, as the elders tax the earning kids.

This is going to be absolutely horrible as nobody who has struggled all their lives should NOT be entitled to some reward at the end of thier lives, like my immigrant grandparents who owned a small-town pharmacy and broke their backs for 40 yrs and never took a vacation, then finally retired and got to enjoy the fruits of their labor. They scrimped and saved and did the right thing, they saved money and invested in their kids, put them through college, etc. Little for themsleves except a house they built. They didn't (as the popular bumper stickers from a few years back so brazenly proclaimed) "spend their children's inheritance." But to people in Gens X and Y and beyond, all grandparents are going to be alike, wnen it comes to Social Security legislation and benefits, etc. The media will paint (in many cases, correct) pics of freewheeing spenders. But missing the truth that these days (unlike even 25 yrs ago) it takes 2 people to earn what one used to be able to. Most houseolds struggle b/c THERE ARE NO "REAL" JOBS LEFT IN THIS COUNTRY AND THOSE THAT ARE DECENT.....well, the paharmaceutical companies are robbing us blind as it is. Take-home pay is down.

Leisje, I feel for you. I have student loan debts too. Though mine is lower....counting interest accumulated from a 15 yrs ago (I've been paying off mine VERY Slowly) mine is 2 loans that come to a little over 30,000. That's another difference.....back in the day, you could go to college and ACTUALLY comeout debt-free. There were grants, not loans, and you could pay your way through with a part-time job. I hear people tell me or I read articles about people who "payed their way" through college and it gets me SICK. It seems like another planet.

Blu, you poor soul. Let me have your addy as I want to write to you privately. I want to pray for you, big time!

Just as matter of interest, where do you live, that your property tax has been re-asessed that much (if you don't mind me asking.) Someday (and I hope that day is not soon) I am set to inherit my grandparent's beachfront property on one of the Finger Lakes in central NY State, and she moans constantly about the property taxes. I ask her for details but she won't say...she discusses it with my uncle. I think she wants to spare me the worst until I'm ready for it. Her place is locate dnear a village on the south end of the lake, I mean a stick in the mus place, probably not more than 2000 people, but someone wrote a book about it 20 yrs ago and since then every *expletive deleted* fat cat from NYC and Jersey has moved up here and a lot of the old locals have been slowly driven out by murderous property taxes. There aren't a lot of them (the place is still as small, population-wise) but the village has been yuppified and the little town square has been turned into a tourist trap. I mean, four streetfronts around a village square small enough to shout across , but there's goddarn yogurt shop and gift shop....anyway, we're one of the last oldtime familes left.

You know, it's a horrible thing to say, but I used to agonise over how I was going to care for my mother someday. Now she's gone, and sometimes, in a sick way, I am glad both of my parents are dead.

Outside of my student loan debt, my debts are small, but dangit, I can't get rid of them. I didn't even have a credit card until I was 31, but I decided to get one b/c one year for the first time I had to pay the IRS some money and nowhere else to get the cash. Outside of the credit card (sorry, I won't share that info!) I have a $800 bank loan from about 2 yrs ago I am almost done paying off (only 3 more payments, YES!!) and a dental bill I still owe almost $900 on. I went without dental insurance for a painfully long time and as a result my new dentist was not happy when she saw me for the first time. I explained to her why I was so overdue for a checkup. I needed major work. And my insurance only covered 60% of it. I had almost-perfect credit (at the time) so got some more money to pay it but that still left the other 30% in cash. So I'm paying off that bill too. I have only about $50 in cash in the bank and a small IRA, which I actually had to make a withdrawal from this year when I had a financial crisis in the spring. Add to that the money Mom left me (not much) I have a little, but if I had to go to the hospital, (God forbid) it would be chicken feed. I have pretty good insurance but it's a $100 ER co-payable and $250 for in-patient care! My God, can you belive it, I have seriously thought of having my kids at home and calling a friggin midwife rather than paying hospital expense. I suspect many others have had simialr ideas, they are cracking down on midwives here in NY State.

Regarding that article, and spekaing of dentists. I witnessed a terrible sight. At my last dentist appointment as I was in the waiting room, and there was a sweet old guy sitting katty-corner from me. He had a severe toothache. He was alone. Must have been in his late 60's and stooped, kind of frail. It was his first appointment, he was a walk--in, and one of the colleg-age assistants spent 20 minutes or so sitting next to him filling out his paperwork. Everything went like clockwork until the nice old lady receptionist kindly explained to him that the $180 cash he was going to be paying today before his appointment was for an initial exam only, for a diagnosis "to determine your course of treatment" and that he would have to come back for another appointment to get the actual treatment. The poor old dear grew increasingly angry about why he had to shell out $180 when they weren't going to be able to give him anything for the pain. I sat there reading my magazine, listening as the nice old lady at the desk metamophizised into everyone's nightmare of the faceless bearucrat, as solid and impeturbable as the Colossus of Rhodes. The man finally left in disgust, throwing his paper work to the floor, and still, I presume, in considerable pain.

I ached for him, as this is what would have happend with me had I not been familar with this sort of thing. Why do you think that I, a grad student with a modest income, and many expenses, never saw a dentist for a period of time I won't say how long? My teeth or the rent? Remember, I had no parents to move back in with, or even family living in my city oe within a 4 hr radius. Too far to commute. And my school was here. I could not relocate.

What a situation this country is heading in....

Last edited:
Yeah, I've come to accept the fact that I'm pretty much fucked when it comes to money. Even once I get my degree (which is a few years off) and get a better job (most likely not in MI) I'll have to begin paying off student loans so the small debt I have now (which is all credit card related, and not bad in comparison to other people's) will look like a dream compared to what I'll owe then.

I lose sleep over this shit, but what can I do? It's bad when I feel guilty over spending $30 on used CDs every few months, one of the few guilty pleasures I allow myself. It's embarrassing, but many of my friends are in the same boat. :sigh:

:uhoh: I haven't saved jack. It's hard to with my salary, which is below 12k. Yeah, I ain't got no shame. Its really awful because there are so many people out there working multiple low-wage jobs just to make ends meet...everything they make is used up, there's hardly room for savings.

Last edited:
Yea, I shouldn't have come into this particular thread. :sad:

The whole thing is scary.

I have a baby coming and my boyfriend and I are trying to search for a new apartment and trying to figure out our expenses. :angry:

Last edited:
Congrads on everyone who manages to save. The online ING account sounds great. the whole "if you don't see the money you don't spend it" thing. But that was the way I was until I hit 31 (I'm 37 now). I was fortunate to have a pretty accident-free and let's say, non-tragedy-free life until that year. Then I was downsized from my former job, my mother died, I lost my brother, and I lost my health insurance. My grandfather died, and I have to help my uncle finacially--he is living now with my grandmother at the aforementioned family lake house with the impossible property taxes (whatever they are). She recovered 5 yrs ago from colon cancer and had a mini-stroke last yr. She has no neighbors most of the yr and can barely walk. I have to help my uncle with her expenses. My mother would have done this but her death was unexpected. We are a small family. Little else to help.

It took me about 2 yrs to even get back to where I am now. And from what I've been reading, I'm one of the lucky ones. I had more than $12,000 saved but that all mostly vanished (no details, sorry. There's only so much about my finances I can say with Bush's goons watching the Net!:eyebrow: ) And believe me, if I had even $100 to put in the IRA after my checks ( I have it all figured to the penny, I keep a tight budget) I'd do it. But I have to pay the phone bill you know.

To the people on here who earn enough money and have the comparative lack of bills stemming from incident in their lives, I salute you. That was me.....8 yrs ago.

And oh yes, my student loans were consolidated 3 yrs ago.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
Congrads on everyone who manages to save. The online ING account sounds great. the whole "if you don't see the money you don't spend it" thing. But that was the way I was until I hit 31 (I'm 37 now). I was fortunate to have a pretty accident-free and let's say, non-tragedy-free life until that year. Then I was downsized from my former job, my mother died, I lost my brother, and I lost my health insurance. My grandfather died, and I have to help my uncle finacially--he is living now with my grandmother at the aforementioned family lake house with the impossible property taxes (whatever they are). She recovered 5 yrs ago from colon cancer and had a mini-stroke last yr. She has no neighbors most of the yr and can barely walk. I have to help my uncle with her expenses. My mother would have done this but her death was unexpected. We are a small family. Little else to help.

It took me about 2 yrs to even get back to where I am now. And from what I've been reading, I'm one of the lucky ones. I had more than $12,000 saved but that all mostly vanished (no details, sorry. There's only so much about my finances I can say with Bush's goons watching the Net!:eyebrow: ) And believe me, if I had even $100 to put in the IRA after my checks ( I have it all figured to the penny, I keep a tight budget) I'd do it. But I have to pay the phone bill you know.

To the people on here who earn enough money and have the comparative lack of bills stemming from incident in their lives, I salute you. That was me.....8 yrs ago.

And oh yes, my student loans were consolidated 3 yrs ago.

You're a survivor.

And that's what saving and working is really for.

The downfall of this country will no be due to people like you.

It will be from those who spent every last dime, not on helping family, but on flat screen tvs, suv's and designer jeans.

The rainy day fund you had to help you through tough times doesn't exist for them. It's all been spent on nonsense.

When this country goes into another economic recession (and it will) it will purge. It will be painful.

Very, very painful.

You know, Mr. Brau, that word "purge"....I've actually had nights where I lie awake just thinking aobut what is to come. There's a great book by a guy named William Kunstler called "The Long Emergency" where he talks about this stuff. But he puts it in the context of world politics, global warming, etc....wow. Sometimes I go to the movies and watch the ads before the show with all the consumerist stuff out there that we just supposed to have, it should be just as normal to own an iPod or an HDTV as it is a bed or table. My God. (Not knocking everyone on here who has an iPod! It had better be the Vertigo iPod!!!:wink: )

I thank God I even own a laptop.

That's the worst, the blanket that has been thrown over our heads, the illusion that we are still living in a middle-class society where everyone just has this stuff, we are all Mr. and Mrs. suburban Jones like in 1971, and ours wasa more civilzed society, but underneath that glitzy and ho-hum TV commercial reality, that says our society has not changed, we have regressed to the 1920's, when there was no safety net. Or we are starting to. Or better yet 100 yrs ago. We are no different than the Ist 2nd and steerage class on the Titanic..we really have gone back to that. Or so it seems. We watch the Leave it to Beaver 50's on TV but switchoff the TV and confront our pre-Great Depression lives. There is too much of a disconnect. As Yeats so famously said, the center cannot hold.

It's enough to take you to...a place called Vertigo!

Thanks for the kind words Brau. FYI, I'm doing fine. I'm not sitting around depressed.....I have a boyfriend, my church group, my friends, I'm a happy person. Most of the time. My uncle and I have marathon discussions about politcs on the phone...we laugh a lot, when we're not eternally cursing "King George the Third", Cheney, and the rest. My grandma may not be able to drive anymore and uses a walker, but when she's not grousing about the bills, she's happy too. Mentally, she's still fantastic, the stroke only affected her hand. She's 82 and as you said, she's a survivor too. We come from a tough family and as we say the only thing that can kill an Armenian (I'm half that and half Irish) is our signature intoxicant of choice, raki. 100% proof....my grandpa told me that in the Old Country (weelllll...now, it's officially called Turkey, ha ha) even the Russians who used to visit the raki factories for "test tastings" used to pass out stone cold after one cup. They used to think with their vodka they could hold anything....ha ha. We Armenians could always drink the Russians under the table and still can:). We're a tough bunch. As for me, hey, I've had U2 to help me through a lot of down times. What more can I ask for? Through all the tragedy, I got to some danged fine shows the past 2 tours (thank you Propaganda.)

Last edited:
thinking about money stresses me out

I'd have to say that money is one of my big sources of stress. I keep reading articles about self-made millionaires and how you should have at least 6 months of living expenses saved. Yeah, right. I used to be a great saver, my mom taught me well. and then random bills pop up, or I buy something for myself or it's Christmas or birthdays...etc. so the result is very little in savings. I'm not totally hopeless, I recommend an online savings acct. I went with HSBC, because they're at about 5.05% rate right now and I dump a little money from each check into that, and about 7% (and the company dumps in another 2%) of my check into my 401k. I have an IRA but I haven't been able to put anything in there for at least 2 years now. but it's so easy to charge things on a credit card. I'm rarely carrying cash these days. so after all the bills are paid, what's left has to go for gas and groceries and by that point, there's hardly anything to save into my accts. and each month I think the next month will be better. that's what I thought in January, and then I got a $350 dental bill on top of all my other expenses, because my dental insurance sucks. so you know how it goes. it's bad when it's payday and you know that your entire check is already accounted for. I'm not in debt (as in, I pay off the balance of my credit card each month), but I'd be screwed right now if something bad were to happen to me.

the one area I've been fortunate in is that I owe very little in student loans. I only had to take out a loan for my senior year in college and since I was going to a state school in NY, it's not bad. I couldn't consolidate for a lower interest rate though since I have just one loan. hopefully I'll be done paying it off in another couple years.

Oh I was great about paying off my credit card bill every month, saving a shitload of money, etc. Then I moved out and reality hit.

We'd all be millionaires if we still lived at home with mommy and daddy. When I get really stressed I jokingly tell my mom I'm moving back in with her. She loves that. :wink:

Is it just me, or has this thread been very stressful and theraputic, all at the same time?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Oh I was great about paying off my credit card bill every month, saving a shitload of money, etc. Then I moved out and reality hit.

We'd all be millionaires if we still lived at home with mommy and daddy. When I get really stressed I jokingly tell my mom I'm moving back in with her. She loves that. :wink:

Is it just me, or has this thread been very stressful and theraputic, all at the same time?

you summed it up, reality hit. I was officially on my own in 2003. until that point I sometimes forgot I had a credit card! had no insurance--medical or dental- until summer 2004. had to dip into savings a LOT while trying to find a full time job and a place to live. not happy times. and now it just seems like I'm playing catch up, only it's not so easy. there always seems to be something financially that needs your attention.

you're right...it's stressful but very comforting to read and share with others about this topic :up:

i'm a freelancer, and every job could, in theory, be my last, so i make sure to save a tremendous amount each month. i have to -- it could all run out if i go 3-6 months without a steady job. i also keep my expenses in line and make sure to do the little things that add up to lots of savings. for example -- buy your own coffee or drink the coffee at work (no need to drop $3.50 at The Bucks everyday), buy versatile clothing so you can mix and match outfits to extend your wardrobe, walk as much as you can, use public transportation as much as you can, turn off lights, wash your clothes in cold water, buy wine at the supermarket, and there's nothing wrong with a friday night at home watching a DVD and sipping cheap beer ... stuff like that, living environmentally responsibly can save you a few hundred a month. i also rent a room in a house and don't have my own apartment, which saves me a ton in rent (a studio in my neighborhood would be $300 a month more than i pay now, and i get a whole house with a landlord who i actually enjoy talking to and i get to play with his bulldogs) and i hope that if/when Memphis and i take the big step and move in together, we'll have saved enough to actually buy something instead of tossing it all down the drainspout of rent.

it's been hard, and it was much harder 2-3 years ago when my income was significantly lower, but the discipline does pay off.

Year College Inflation (CB) General Inflation (CPI) Rate Ratio
2006 5.9% 3.23% 1.83
2005 5.94% 3.39% 1.75
2004 5.97% 2.66% 2.24
2003 5.99% 2.28% 2.63
2002 5.80% 1.58% 3.67
2001 5.48% 2.85% 1.92
2000 5.25% 3.36% 1.56
1999 4.56% 2.21% 2.06
1998 5.24% 1.56% 3.35
1997 5.16% 2.29% 2.25
1996 5.05% 2.95% 1.71
1995 5.32% 2.76% 1.93
1994 5.44% 2.77% 1.96
1993 5.99% 2.78% 2.15
1992 5.79% 3.16% 1.83
1991 7.61% 4.45% 1.71
1990 7.83% 4.81% 1.63
1989 8.61% 4.99% 1.73
1988 7.89% 4.16% 1.90
1987 7.39% 3.90% 1.89
1986 8.02% 1.61% 4.98
1985 8.15% 3.55% 2.30
1984 8.03% 4.14% 1.94
1983 9.78% 2.44% 4.00
1982 14.35% 6.48% 2.21
1981 13.95% 10.73% 1.30
1980 12.00% 13.22% 0.91
1979 9.05% 11.27% 0.80
1978 7.37% 7.74% 0.95
1977 8.10% 6.72% 1.21
1976 9.27% 5.43% 1.71

For the past 30 years the price of college tuition has risen at a much higher rate than the general inflation rate. Yet where are the calls to "cap" professors income...where's the outrage that higher cable bills or gas pump prices stir up?

A good question for your economic professor.

I think cable gets more expensive b/c they add more channels, you get more options, better service, etc. To me, paying $33 a month for 75 channels, digital cable, and On Demand is totally worth it. Paying FOUR TIMES as much for the same education (I mean, same school, some same profs) as my mom doesn't seem worth it.

Also, it's impossible to get good scholarships these days. I got straight As in high school, never got in trouble, was a team captain and MVP, and the just got some lousy merit-based scholarship that didn't even cover my meal plan. My mom went to the same high school and same college. She was a B student, didn't try that hard, and got a full ride academic scholarship to college for having a 3.4. It's so much more competitive these days and it's such a vicious cycle. The kids who get the best scholarships are the ones who usually were already wealthy, b/c they never had to work a day and thus had time to join every team and every club in high school while those of us who worked everyday but did get As get the leftovers. It's like they don't even care about actual academics anymore.

INDY500 said:
For the past 30 years the price of college tuition has risen at a much higher rate than the general inflation rate. Yet where are the calls to "cap" professors income...where's the outrage that higher cable bills or gas pump prices stir up?

A good question for your economic professor.

well, i'm sure Yolland will happily field this one, but i think it's quite fair to say that the skyrocketing of college tuition has very little to do with a professor's (often very small) salary and much more to do with trying to keep up with technology.

^ :wave:

Just broke $40,000 after seven years of teaching, started in the low $30s, still very much paying off the 7 years of grad school that qualified me to do all this--does that sound like a windfall? And I am very representative of a typical public college humanities professor in this regard.

According to the NEA's 2006 Almanac of Higher Education, and looking at roughly the same timespan for those figures INDY posted, the average national salary for all college faculty (public and private, all fields, all career stages) in 2005 was $64,179. In 1973--and adjusted for 2005 dollars--that figure was $62,003. Not exactly a whopping increase...compare that to the increases in, say, corporate salaries since that time. Of course, you could break this stat down in various ways--private college faculty on average make 10% more; humanities faculty (2005 average $55,299) make a lot less than law faculty (average $122,477), engineering faculty ($86,837) and business faculty ($84,227), etc. (I don't say that with resentment, as I'm well aware most of those folks could make much more outside of academia.) One should also keep in mind that the trend now is for colleges to handle the increase in student bodies by adding on more low-paying, no-job-security 'lectureships' and 'adjunct faculty' positions rather than creating new tenure-track positions, which is where the real opportunities for promotion and significant salary increases are. More than 50% of all faculty positions are now of this type; some of the Ivies haven't opened up any new tenure-track positions in years now, instead reserving those places for plum picks (star professors at the peak of their career) wooed from other universities.

As a side note, while I'd be happy if I never make more than that aforementioned humanities average, I can't help wondering why people so often seem to get so much more incensed by college professors who make plush incomes than by other kinds of workers who do. A PhD is an advanced professional degree, akin to earning an MD or JD, and it's a fuck of a long haul in time, money and effort to earn one; most who start the process never complete it. Then once you've earned it, and especially if you're in the humanities, expect to compete against 100-200 other highly qualified candidates for that tenure-track position at Mediocre State U. Then once you've secured that, in addition to a full teaching load, you'll also have to keep up your researching and writing ("publish or perish") as well as service to the university (joining steering, curriculum and search committees; overseeing student groups; advising and tutoring; writing reports etc.). And these are job requirements--I'm not waxing idealistic about the sorts of things only a really ambitious and driven prof might voluntarily do.

As far as the tuition increases, there are multiple reasons for those; some major ones are:

---- In most states, state budgets for higher education have not kept anything close to pace with the increases in costs of running a college or university--the trend has been to shift the burden to the individual student.

---- There are lots of things feeding into those increased costs, besides, of course, plain old inflation--keeping up with technology, as Irvine mentioned, is a huge one (computerization, upgraded science and library facilities to enable better research, etc.); increasing cost of healthcare, an important part of the compensation packages; increases related to the dramatic growth in numbers of students--more staff and faculty, more buildings, more rank-and-file administrators to oversee the increased grants, facilities and so on; increased expectations from students and their parents in terms of facilities, from dorms to athletics programs to laboratories; competition for students (and thus perceived reputation) calling for greater expenditures on research funding, establishment of special academic institutes, etc. etc. A side effect of all this growth is increasing decentralization of oversight and authority, which can itself hamper efficiency--e.g., does HR realize that the History department is spending funds earmarked for salaries on research grants for faculty instead?

---- The proportional value of aid grants, including publically-funded ones, has decreased significantly over time. This is especially a factor at private schools, where over 60% of students receive institutional grant aid (compared to just under 25% at public universities). For example, Pell Grants in 1980 averaged 35% of tuition costs; now it's only 23%. To make matters worse, merit-based aid, which disproprotionately favors students from high-income backgrounds, has increased much more than need-based aid.

---- At private colleges (and again, relative to operating costs) shrinking endowments and declining donations.

Yes, increased faculty salaries factor into all this too, but as already cited that's a small increase relative to the overall picture, and it's utterly absurd to peg the entire increase in tuition costs on that. And while it's a different topic, the rates charged by student loan outfits further complicate matters. Could many colleges be run more efficiently than they are and still stay competitive, yes absolutely--although good luck designing some one-size-fits-all plan to tackle that. But you're kidding yourself if you think the tuition spiral is going to be reversed without steep increases in public funding.

So yeah, go ahead, ask your friendly forum poli sci professor about my bloated $40K salary after seven years of grad school and seven years of teaching, publishing, advising, serving as department head and sitting on three faculty committees. Did I mention I'm the sole breadwinner for my family of five as well? Sorry, but I don't feel guilty about that at all, and part of the reason why is because I'm still licking my own financial wounds from my years as a student. So I can empathize completely with the financial situation many of my students are in.

Last edited:
yolland said:
As a side note, while I'd be happy if I never make more than that aforementioned humanities average, I can't help wondering why people so often seem to get so much more incensed by college professors who make plush incomes than by other kinds of workers who do. A PhD is an advanced professional degree, akin to earning an MD or JD, and it's a fuck of a long haul in time, money and effort to earn one; most who start the process never complete it. Then once you've earned it, and especially if you're in the humanities, expect to compete against 100-200 other highly qualified candidates for that tenure-track position at Mediocre State U. Then once you've secured that, in addition to a full teaching load, you'll also have to keep up your researching and writing ("publish or perish") as well as service to the university (joining steering, curriculum and search committees; overseeing student groups; advising and tutoring; writing reports etc.). And these are job requirements--I'm not waxing idealistic about the sorts of things only a really ambitious and driven prof might voluntarily do.

Last year my colleagues and I had this forum, we invited professors at the university to come and talk about their experience (basically, we were trying to bridge the gap between co-curricular learning and academics by initiating some sort of conversation.) I felt awful just looking at them. One even kept falling asleep during the forum! Their schedules were insane. I think all of us decided against getting PhDs after that round. They described everything you just spoke of in that paragraph. I have no idea how they do it. But I'm convinced at least one of them has a special time-stopping device a la Hermione.

I'll probably be in debt for the rest of my life, but looking at the pain they have to endure, I'd say I'll be pretty content with my master's.

Back
Top Bottom