20.000 Protesters in Iraq against Conference of the former Exil-Oposition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
First.. It's wonderful news - why? Because there can be free protests in Nasirija - that's maybe the beginning of a democratic movement.

The slogan "Yes to liberty, Yes to islam, No to America, NO to Saddam" isn't what the coalition of the willing expected, but it's not a real surprise either.

Iraqis disslike the US lead conference where former exil oposition decides about the future of their country. Let's hope the US respects that and can convince the shiitic clerus not to boycot this conference.
SAIRI boycots this conference, because the US is the head of the conference.

The 20.000 said that they want that the future of this country is decided by the Hawsa (Shiitic religious school) and they should care for free elections.

In baghdad there were demonstrations too. Because of the political future but also to protest against the chaos and the anarchy in town.

approx. 300 people protest against the violence and pro electicity in front of the hotel where western journalists are.

Klaus

You can find a BBC article about the same subject (with a little different view at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2948351.stm )

I'm glad they're having demonstrations in Iraq also. It means they are ready for democracy. No, it's not what the coalition expected but I did. They are demonstrating because they think this is occupation, which they don't want. The day the Iraqi politicians meet and everyone in the room is Iraqi, that's when they'll have democracy. Not when they have to share a room with "coatition people".

Abdul Asis Kakim, brother of Mohammed Baker Al-Hakim (Sheitic Leader) told the press that they did not only Boycott the meeting but they won't accept the US choosen government for Iraq. :(

Difficult times, hope the US can answer that with diplomacy instead of weapons :/

Klaus

Klaus said:
Abdul Asis Kakim, brother of Mohammed Baker Al-Hakim (Sheitic Leader) told the press that they did not only Boycott the meeting but they won't accept the US choosen government for Iraq. :(

Difficult times, hope the US can answer that with diplomacy instead of weapons :/

Klaus

My concern is that Bush and Rumsfeld are so awful at diplomacy. That's why they basically don't believe in using it. This situation definitely calls for it, however.

Klaus,

Lets remember that demonstration would not be possible if the USA had followed the French/German plan for Iraq. Bush's plan has made this possible.

STING2:

that's why i wrote the 1st sentence.

I remember this as good as i remember the death, the pain and the destruction of unique cultural property.

That war wasn't just good or just evil. Again, the demonstrations are great, because noone has to fear to be put in jail because he demonstrates

Klaus

Democracy in Iraq is not just the absense of Saddam Hussein, although that's a factor. It's also the absense of non-Iraqi political operatives and power in the country. This is a complex, difficult situation and there are no simple solutions to the many problems.

Back
Top Bottom