2 year old sues for lost wages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAW

The Flower
I think the 2 year old should file a claim against his mother for not keeping an eye on him in the first place...what kind of parent lets their valuable little money maker run around loose in a playground, exposing him to those everyday little mishaps your average, non-wage earning toddler suffers all too frequently. For shame. :eyebrow:

Model, 2, Seeks Lost Wages in Mishap
Fri Dec 26, 4:37 AM ET

STAMFORD, Conn. - A 2-year-old model and actor who cut his head at a playground is seeking unspecified lost wages and other compensation from the city.

Konrad Mader of Greenwich was running toward a treehouse at a playground Nov. 4 when he crashed into a railing, according to a claim filed last week by his mother and reported Friday by The Advocate of Stamford. The blond toddler received several stitches.

Deena Mader, the boy's mother, did not specify how much she is seeking on behalf of her son.

In a letter to officials, she demanded compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering and a "lost wage amount due to his inability to audition or take modeling or commercial jobs while his head heals."

Mader blamed the boy's injury on a green railing, which she said blends in with the landscaping. Mader said the railing should be painted a brighter color.

"This accident was preventable had the railings and safety measures been correct at this park, " Mader wrote in her claim.

Tom Cassone, the city's director of legal affairs, said his office is investigating the claim.

Joe Falzone, a facilities manager in charge of maintaining city parks, said he is not aware of defects in the playground and there are no plans to make changes.

Well, of course, children can work. Child labor laws exempt agriculture and the entertainment industry, the former intended to allow children to assist in the family farm, with the latter intended to allow child actors.

Let's forget the prevailing attitude that everyone who sues is some evil liberal for one moment. Perhaps, in this particular playground, there is some design flaw that *should* be corrected. After all, I don't know of too many playgrounds that, through normal use, you end up getting stitches. Bumps, bruises, crying...yes, that happens.

Let the courts sort it out.

Melon

melon said:
Let's forget the prevailing attitude that everyone who sues is some evil liberal for one moment. Perhaps, in this particular playground, there is some design flaw that *should* be corrected. After all, I don't know of too many playgrounds that, through normal use, you end up getting stitches. Bumps, bruises, crying...yes, that happens.

Never underestimate the ability by children to get injuries!

:D

Marty (who had his share of injuries as a child)

A kid can fall off of a swing. A whole slew of things can go wrong. I got hurt a gazillion times when I was a kid. If I'd been in show biz God knows how much $$ I wouldn't have made recovering from the injuries.
I am glad I was just an anonymous kid.

melon said:
Let's forget the prevailing attitude that everyone who sues is some evil liberal for one moment.

So what was the point in throwing that word "liberal" in there? I didn't see anyone referring to the individual suing as an evil liberal.

I think the suit is frivilous. Even in the safest of playgrounds kids can get hurt, yes even bad enough to get stitches. That's why it's the parent's responsibility to keep an eye on their kids and sometimes accidents happens and it's no one's fault in particular.

Last edited:
thank you maude... you beat me too it. i don't think anyone believes that people who make frivilous law suits are evil liberals, except for maybe you melon... rather we believe they're money grubbing jackasses, while secretly wondering why we ourselfs didn't think of suing someone when we fell off the friggin swingset as a kid.

I don't know what this has to do with evil liberals either...I just happen to believe that two year old kids shouldn't be seen as a wage earning commodity, despite it being legal for them to "work"

If it turns our there was some kind of defect at this playground, fine...pay the parents for his medical bills and a few dollars for pain and suffering... trying to recover lost wages on behalf of a toddler is disgusting IMO, even if he was a working actor/model. Does this say that an unemployed, less attractive child deserves less compensation for his injury?

He crashed into a railing that was presumably metal. Easy to see how he'd need stitches.

I still have a tiny scar from when I walked jaw first into my coffee table. :|

anitram said:

I still have a tiny scar from when I walked jaw first into my coffee table. :|

I hope you sued whoever owned the offending table.

Seriously, this whole situation is just crazy. It's gotten to the point where many councils are taking down public playgrounds, to avoid lawsuits ... but who will be the next target when parents decide to sue about how lazy and unfit their kids have become?

This isn't about some kid losing his income; it's about greedy people doing whatever they can to milk the system. Come on people, let our kids take some responsibility for themselves. This kid's mum should use this incident to teach him to be more careful when he's running, not give him the idea it's an easy way to get money.

In addition, what does this say about the entertainment industry? That a cute kid is no longer profitable once he has stitches? If that's the message they're sending, I wouldn't want my kids involved in it.

Last edited:
If the playground really is dangerous I'd have a lot more sympathy if the kid's mom had just talked to whoever is responsible for the playground and asked for the playground to be repaired. I'd even have more sympathy if she'd sued them for causing her child distress, but to sue for loss of earnings is just ridiculous. Actually, it wouldn't be that much more sympathy anyway... ;-)

The fact this kid is 2 really makes not much of a difference, surely? Except that 2 year olds are notoriously clumsy and accident prone. Much like Cindy Crawford who had to get her pins seperately insured (for 6 mill or some garbage) when she made that flop of a movie she was in...What was the name of it?

Public Liability......:scream:

it's gotten to the point where if you go to the doctor to get a band aid on a paper cut, 50,000 tests will be run on you just to make sure there isn't anything else wrong with you that you could sue the doctor for missing, thus jacking up my insurance premiums. bullcrap... all of it. no on in this nation is accountable for themselves anymore. if something goes wrong, it's gotta be someone esle's fault... so let's sue.

maude said:
So what was the point in throwing that word "liberal" in there? I didn't see anyone referring to the individual suing as an evil liberal.

Methinks that this place is devoid of humour.

Lighten up.

Melon

anitram said:
He crashed into a railing that was presumably metal. Easy to see how he'd need stitches.

Bingo. And a lot of playgrounds these days are being replaced with other materials, such as plastic, that are less hazardous, because of these reasons.

Again, let the courts sort it out.

Melon

melon said:

Methinks that this place is devoid of humour.

Lighten up.

Melon

Methinks someone wasn't really joking at all. Your words ("Let's forget the prevailing attitude that everyone who sues is some evil liberal for one moment.") sounded as in earnest as anything else you've written, but perhaps I don't get your sense of humor (which doesn't necessarily indicate I don't have one). If you weren't joking, please don't use that annoying old cover up of "oh I was only joking, you need to lighten up" routine. It's not very nice to try and make the other person look bad if you're the one that's mispoken. And if you were then my apologies.

In any case, this topic isn't worth arguing over and causing bad feelings, but I thought that the use of the term "evil liberals" was out of place and worth questioning. It seemed to me you threw it in for the benefit of some of the previous posters, who I believe if I'm thinking of the right individuals, tend to hold overall conservative views.

Well there are in fact height, color, design restrictions for railings in city parks. If this park is in violation of this it needs to be looked into, but from this story we don't even know what type of railing this was.

As for suing for wages, well one may argue if the parents are his management and this is a majority of their income then maybe they have a case. But then you really need to question the mentality of stage parents.

I'm with Melon, we don't know everything in this case, let the courts decide.

we can say that re: letting the courts decide on many things in here...and it's never stopped us putting our 2 bob's worth in before
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom