2 out of 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
Reagans against the reelection of Dubyah

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_4935.shtml
Nancy Reagan turned down numerous invitations to appear at the Republican National Convention and has warned the Bush campaign she will not tolerate any use of her or her late husbands words or images in the President?s re-election effort.

?Mrs. Reagan does not support President Bush?s re-election and neither to most members of the President?s family,? says a spokesman for the former First Lady.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6577.htm
The Case Against George W. Bush

The son of the fortieth president of the United States takes a hard look at the son of the forty-first and does not like what he sees

By Ron Reagan

07/29/04 "Esquire" -- It may have been the guy in the hood teetering on the stool, electrodes clamped to his genitals. Or smirking Lynndie England and her leash. Maybe it was the smarmy memos tapped out by soft-fingered lawyers itching to justify such barbarism. The grudging, lunatic retreat of the neocons from their long-standing assertion that Saddam was in cahoots with Osama didn't hurt. Even the Enron audiotapes and their celebration of craven sociopathy likely played a part. As a result of all these displays and countless smaller ones, you could feel, a couple of months back, as summer spread across the country, the ground shifting beneath your feet. Not unlike that scene in The Day After Tomorrow, then in theaters, in which the giant ice shelf splits asunder, this was more a paradigm shift than anything strictly tectonic. No cataclysmic ice age, admittedly, yet something was in the air, and people were inhaling deeply. I began to get calls from friends whose parents had always voted Republican, "but not this time." There was the staid Zbigniew Brzezinski on the staid NewsHour with Jim Lehrer sneering at the "Orwellian language" flowing out of the Pentagon. Word spread through the usual channels that old hands from the days of Bush the Elder were quietly (but not too quietly) appalled by his son's misadventure in Iraq. Suddenly, everywhere you went, a surprising number of folks seemed to have had just about enough of what the Bush administration was dishing out. A fresh age appeared on the horizon, accompanied by the sound of scales falling from people's eyes. It felt something like a demonstration of that highest of American prerogatives and the most deeply cherished American freedom: dissent.
The comparison underscored something important. And the guy on the stool, Lynndie, and her grinning cohorts, they brought the word: The Bush administration can't be trusted. The parade of Bush officials before various commissions and committees?Paul Wolfowitz, who couldn't quite remember how many young Americans had been sacrificed on the altar of his ideology; John Ashcroft, lip quivering as, for a delicious, fleeting moment, it looked as if Senator Joe Biden might just come over the table at him?these were a continuing reminder. The Enron creeps, too?a reminder of how certain environments and particular habits of mind can erode common decency. People noticed. A tipping point had been reached. The issue of credibility was back on the table. The L-word was in circulation. Not the tired old bromide liberal. That's so 1988. No, this time something much more potent: liar.

Politicians will stretch the truth. They'll exaggerate their accomplishments, paper over their gaffes. Spin has long been the lingua franca of the political realm. But George W. Bush and his administration have taken "normal" mendacity to a startling new level far beyond lies of convenience. On top of the usual massaging of public perception, they traffic in big lies, indulge in any number of symptomatic small lies, and, ultimately, have come to embody dishonesty itself. They are a lie. And people, finally, have started catching on.

Between this, the new defecit numbers, the President's unbalanced behavior leaking from staffers, to the meds he's taking, it looks bad for Bush. :up:

Unfortunately, it won't make a difference in the long run - I do believe he will be re-elected.

Not that I don't endorse Mrs. Reagan's political views, I quite agree, but I do find it a tad rich that its coming from her.

Ant.

It is amazing to me how many Republicans are turning their backs on Bush. I know quite a few amongst my circle of family and friends. Hopefully they all live in the right states.:wink:

I am finding the same here where I live. Some of the staunchest republicans in my town are NOT voting for Bush. I am not sure how much that counts since I live in Massachusetts. My fair warning to all though, is do not forget the electoral college.

I also know many Republicans who voted for Bush in 2000 who are not going to vote for him this year. In a similar vein, my sister voted for Ralph Nader in 2000. I wasn't sure what she thought of Kerry. It turns out that she and her boyfriend both plan to vote for Kerry. Since they live in New York City, they are voting in one of Kerry's strongest states. Nonetheless I found this interesting.

On another note, I don't mean to be petty or anything, but I have read about Bush's problems and him taking anti-depressants. I have enough problems without being a hypocrite. I take anti-depressants myself and there's nothing wrong with that. I do think that perhaps Bush doesn't need the pressures of the Presidency with this crud going on in his life. He deserves to enjoy his life. If I were his therapist I'd advise him to do something to smell the roses and chill out. I cannot imagine coping the pressures and stress that any President must deal with. I couldn't do it for a minute. Trust me, I'm not running for dogcatcher. I'm an artist, not a politician. Political history isn't even my favorite branch of history. I much prefer social history.

Last edited:
Scarletwine,

In case you didn't know, Ron and Patty Reagan did not support their father's policy's, so it is neither surprising or shocking to here this from them.

Dreadsox,

Your probably already aware of this, but in Massachusetts, the margin of victory by Gore in 2000 was 59.8% for Gore to 32.5% for Bush. The only state in the union that was more solidly behind Gore was Rhode Island where Gore had 60.99% of the vote to Bush's 31.91% of the vote.

Over the past 80 years Massachusetts has only voted Republican 4 times. In 1952 and 1956 for Dwight Eisenhower, and in 1980 and 1984 for Ronald Reagan.

I got this electoral information from:

http://uselectionatlas.org/INFORMATION/

They have elections going all the way back to 1892, with maps and the break down in each individual state. Its a great source for election information.

STING,

You are correct about your analysis of MA politicswhich is why I say it probably does not matter much, the last three governors are Republican which I find quite interesting.

For whatever that means..LOL

verte76 said:
On another note, I don't mean to be petty or anything, but I have read about Bush's problems and him taking anti-depressants. I have enough problems without being a hypocrite. I take anti-depressants myself and there's nothing wrong with that. I do think that perhaps Bush doesn't need the pressures of the Presidency with this crud going on in his life. He deserves to enjoy his life. If I were his therapist I'd advise him to do something to smell the roses and chill out.

I haven't heard this but it doesn't suprise me. An addict in the office of presidency doesn't sit well with me and I'm sure he needs something to balance some of that out.

BTW I checked out your site and really like your art.

NANCY REAGAN - :applaud:

Now the Republicans can't wave the flag and put Ronald Reagan's face near it in an attempt to win the Republican "sympathy vote" for re-election! :yes: :up:

Serves Bush (and the Republican party) right for historically pandering to the neo-conservatives/religious right for votes.

I think the Reagan family is COURAGEOUS for standing up for their principles on stem-cell research.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I haven't heard this but it doesn't suprise me. An addict in the office of presidency doesn't sit well with me and I'm sure he needs something to balance some of that out.

BTW I checked out your site and really like your art.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm concerned with these problems of Bush's because the Presidency is quite possibly the most stressful job on the planet. Someone with problems like this is better off doing something less stressful. I'm wondering how widely this is known and what the voters think about it. Like I said I have enough problems without being a hypocrite. I am an autistic and part of my treatment is taking antidepressants. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't vote for an autistic presidential candidate however, even if I agreed with him or her on the issues. There are certain attributes and characterics needed to be a successful president. One is a high stress threshold. Quite obviously we don't have this. Some people do and some people don't. The President, whoever it might be, must be someone with a high stress threshold, among other factors. In fact, I find politics incredibly stressful and am very vulnerable to total political burn-out.

Scarletwine said:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6577.htm
The Case Against George W. Bush

The son of the fortieth president of the United States takes a hard look at the son of the forty-first and does not like what he sees

By Ron Reagan

That is a great, great article, Scarletwine. Ron Reagan masterfully articulates so much -- really everything -- I've wanted to say, and more. It's the best articulation of the arrogance and lunacy of the Bush White House that I've seen to date.

Nixon was an erratic man who on numerous occasions was totally whacked out on anti-deppresents, sleeping pills and booze (I seem to recall a phone call to Kissinger where he ordered a nuclear strike on Damascus).

I dont believe that it is proper to label the president an addict on the basis of unconfirmed reports, many great men in history were "addicts" and they were never able to give up their addictions (Winston Churchill for example), unlike GWB, to me that shows GWB has stronger will power than they did and makes a better leader, play the issues not the man - if resort to pointing out the fact the Bush is just a man as if it is a bad thing you just sicken me.

A_Wanderer said:
Nixon was an erratic man who on numerous occasions was totally whacked out on anti-deppresents, sleeping pills and booze (I seem to recall a phone call to Kissinger where he ordered a nuclear strike on Damascus).

I dont believe that it is proper to label the president an addict on the basis of unconfirmed reports, many great men in history were "addicts" and they were never able to give up their addictions (Winston Churchill for example), unlike GWB, to me that shows GWB has stronger will power than they did and makes a better leader, play the issues not the man - if resort to pointing out the fact the Bush is just a man as if it is a bad thing you just sicken me.

And yes what happen to Nixon.

I'm not labeling Bush an addict due to this report, I'm labeling him an addict due to his own confessions. Yes he gave up his vices, but I've worked with a lot of addiction programs when I was in college and the first thing you learn is you are never a former addict, you are an addict for life. After you get past the denial, this is one of the hardest phases knowing this is going to haunt you for the rest of your life. I respect the fact that he was able to kick his habits, but his addictions will be with him the rest of his life. Addicts being practicing or non-practicing do not deal with high stress positions. This is all fact. I do not believe a man with known addictions should run for office because I know the demons they fight with. So if that sickens you then so be it.

I know many addicts that are living very successful lives, but knowing what I know I don't want my country in the hands of an addict.

Last edited:
You're right, BVS, once an addict, always an addict. There is nothing in the world *wrong* with being an addict. It's no more wrong than being an autistic. There are many situations I consider obnoxiously stressful and can't handle. At times this definitely includes politics, even though I'm not running for dogcatcher. The whole thing can really bum me out at times. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I just think someone needs a really high stress threshold to be President because of all of the stress and pressure they are under. I don't care who it is, some people are better off in lower stress occupations. This happened to me, I was very badly equipped to handle the stress of working in a hospital. I quit my job in the medical records department because coding and classification was killing me and eventually got a job in a library. Now I'm working on a career as an artist with the help of local teachers who work with autistics in art therapy. I haven't always had alot of confidence in my artistic ability but I do now. I'm very lucky. So please understand that I'm not trying to insult anyone. I have very strong feelings about civility in politics. It's crucial to me. I hate some of the trends in politics away from civility. I despise character assassination and other dirty tricks like this. If someone is ill, they need treatment, love, and sympathy, not scorn and derision. Addiction is an illness. You treat the addict with love and hope and perhaps medication of some sort, not scorn and derision. Two of my great-uncles on my mother's side of the family were addicts. They were both alcoholics. Unfortunately they lived in a period, the Depression, when it wasn't understood that it was an illness. In their small town in the U.S. South, it was considered a sin. This was very unfortunate. One of them committed suicide. It was because they weren't treated right. It was really horrible. It happened long before I was born, but I can imagine the hell their lives must have been. It's a real shame they had to live like that. The whole thing really saddens me.

Re: Re: 2 out of 3

pub crawler said:

That is a great, great article, Scarletwine. Ron Reagan masterfully articulates so much -- really everything -- I've wanted to say, and more. It's the best articulation of the arrogance and lunacy of the Bush White House that I've seen to date.

Ditto. Excellent article. :up:

I agree Ron Reagan did a great job articulating the problems I have with this admin.

The medication and behavor issues are being leaked by his aides. Supposedly they were prescribed after he walked off a stage after being asked about his views on Ken Lays arrest and screaming at his people. I beleive it was confirmed by his physician. I don't think it is in anyway anything to be ashamed of and know several people who need meds. I just don't think he can handle the position.

Scarletwine said:
The medication and behavor issues are being leaked by his aides. Supposedly they were prescribed after he walked off a stage after being asked about his views on Ken Lays arrest and screaming at his people. I beleive it was confirmed by his physician. I don't think it is in anyway anything to be ashamed of and know several people who need meds. I just don't think he can handle the position.

Oh, my goodness, leaks! I was wondering exactly where this was coming from.

verte76:
The rumours source is "Capitol Hill Blue" as sw. mentioned they claimed that he screamed at his people and called the audience "Motherfuckers"
If you're interested in more negative rumours about Mr. Bush you could read that book:
http://www.harpercollins.com/catalog/book_xml.asp?isbn=0060736704
Among the other subjects Frank explores:

* Bush's false sense of omnipotence, instilled within him during childhood and emboldened by his deep investment in fundamentalist religion

* The president's history of untreated alcohol abuse, and the questions it raises about denial, impairment, and the enabling streak in our culture

* The growing anecdotal evidence that Bush may suffer from dyslexia, ADHD, and other thought disorders

* His comfort living outside the law, defying international law in his presidency as boldly as he once defied DUI statutes and military reporting requirements

* His love-hate relationship with his father, and how it triggered a complex and dangerous mix of feelings including yearning, rivalry, anger, and sadism

* Bush's rigid and simplistic thought patterns, paranoia, and megalomania -- and how they have driven him to invent adversaries so that he can destroy them

There's another article out there refuting that one. But who really knows. We'll see if we see during the convention for the Reagan tribute.

I hope CNN and FOX don't talk during the entire thing like they did Amazing Grace for 9/11 victims (idiots with a lack of respect).

This is probably more of a general question regarding any former president and their family but since the thread is about the Reagan's I'll just use them as an example....

I want to know what is so wrong if the Reagan family does not back Bush, or any other repulican candidate in the future for that matter? I guess I don't understand why it's an issue if a former presidents family would not back a candidate in the party that he belonged to. Is the Reagan family tied to the repulican party for life now?

The Republicans want to use Reagan to excite their convention.
Here's more on the rebuttal.

"According to a report published Monday on NewsMax.Com, Joanne Drake, chief of staff for the former President's office in Los Angeles, denies the former First Lady does not support President Bush's re-election, saying Nancy Reagan "supports President's Bush's re-election 150 percent."

NewsMax is a right-wing web site financed, in part, by conservative financier Richard Mellon Scaife, a major backer of President George W. Bush.

Ms. Drake, however, has not contacted Capitol Hill Blue to request a retraction nor has any member of the First Lady's Staff, Republican National Committee, President Bush's re-election committee or the NewsMax staff.

The authors of the article, Teresa Hampton and William D. McTavish, tried to obtain an official, on-the-record response to the article before it was published on Friday but their phone calls were not returned and their emails went unanswered.

Sources within the Republican Party, however, said today there was "tremendous pressure" on the former President's staff to "come up with a way" to refute the article. The decision was made to use NewsMax, a pro-GOP site, to issue a rebuttal."

This is the same man that owns an extremely rightwing paper in PA and whose reporter Teresa said to shove it after the paper attacked her on several occassion long before this race.

Back
Top Bottom