2 out of 3 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2004, 11:11 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 PM
You're right, BVS, once an addict, always an addict. There is nothing in the world *wrong* with being an addict. It's no more wrong than being an autistic. There are many situations I consider obnoxiously stressful and can't handle. At times this definitely includes politics, even though I'm not running for dogcatcher. The whole thing can really bum me out at times. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I just think someone needs a really high stress threshold to be President because of all of the stress and pressure they are under. I don't care who it is, some people are better off in lower stress occupations. This happened to me, I was very badly equipped to handle the stress of working in a hospital. I quit my job in the medical records department because coding and classification was killing me and eventually got a job in a library. Now I'm working on a career as an artist with the help of local teachers who work with autistics in art therapy. I haven't always had alot of confidence in my artistic ability but I do now. I'm very lucky. So please understand that I'm not trying to insult anyone. I have very strong feelings about civility in politics. It's crucial to me. I hate some of the trends in politics away from civility. I despise character assassination and other dirty tricks like this. If someone is ill, they need treatment, love, and sympathy, not scorn and derision. Addiction is an illness. You treat the addict with love and hope and perhaps medication of some sort, not scorn and derision. Two of my great-uncles on my mother's side of the family were addicts. They were both alcoholics. Unfortunately they lived in a period, the Depression, when it wasn't understood that it was an illness. In their small town in the U.S. South, it was considered a sin. This was very unfortunate. One of them committed suicide. It was because they weren't treated right. It was really horrible. It happened long before I was born, but I can imagine the hell their lives must have been. It's a real shame they had to live like that. The whole thing really saddens me.

Old 08-01-2004, 03:15 AM   #17
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Re: Re: 2 out of 3

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

That is a great, great article, Scarletwine. Ron Reagan masterfully articulates so much -- really everything -- I've wanted to say, and more. It's the best articulation of the arrogance and lunacy of the Bush White House that I've seen to date.
Ditto. Excellent article.

Old 08-01-2004, 05:43 AM   #18
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

...but knowing what I know I don't want my country in the hands of an addict.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:14 AM
I agree Ron Reagan did a great job articulating the problems I have with this admin.

The medication and behavor issues are being leaked by his aides. Supposedly they were prescribed after he walked off a stage after being asked about his views on Ken Lays arrest and screaming at his people. I beleive it was confirmed by his physician. I don't think it is in anyway anything to be ashamed of and know several people who need meds. I just don't think he can handle the position.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
The medication and behavor issues are being leaked by his aides. Supposedly they were prescribed after he walked off a stage after being asked about his views on Ken Lays arrest and screaming at his people. I beleive it was confirmed by his physician. I don't think it is in anyway anything to be ashamed of and know several people who need meds. I just don't think he can handle the position.
Oh, my goodness, leaks! I was wondering exactly where this was coming from.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #21
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:14 PM
verte76:
The rumours source is "Capitol Hill Blue" as sw. mentioned they claimed that he screamed at his people and called the audience "Motherfuckers"
If you're interested in more negative rumours about Mr. Bush you could read that book:
http://www.harpercollins.com/catalog...sbn=0060736704
Quote:
Among the other subjects Frank explores:

* Bush's false sense of omnipotence, instilled within him during childhood and emboldened by his deep investment in fundamentalist religion

* The president's history of untreated alcohol abuse, and the questions it raises about denial, impairment, and the enabling streak in our culture

* The growing anecdotal evidence that Bush may suffer from dyslexia, ADHD, and other thought disorders

* His comfort living outside the law, defying international law in his presidency as boldly as he once defied DUI statutes and military reporting requirements

* His love-hate relationship with his father, and how it triggered a complex and dangerous mix of feelings including yearning, rivalry, anger, and sadism

* Bush's rigid and simplistic thought patterns, paranoia, and megalomania -- and how they have driven him to invent adversaries so that he can destroy them
Old 08-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

There has been stuff about this book and its conclusions on the Internet. It's pretty damn disturbing.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Sorry To Rain on the Parade....

Nancy Reagan Backing Bush's Re-Election

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Former first lady Nancy Reagan, who opposes President Bush's policy on limiting embryonic stem cell research, is backing the Republican's re-election bid.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:37 PM   #24
New Yorker

There's another article out there refuting that one. But who really knows. We'll see if we see during the convention for the Reagan tribute.

I hope CNN and FOX don't talk during the entire thing like they did Amazing Grace for 9/11 victims (idiots with a lack of respect).
Old 08-03-2004, 07:50 PM   #25
arw
Blue Crack Addict

This is probably more of a general question regarding any former president and their family but since the thread is about the Reagan's I'll just use them as an example....

I want to know what is so wrong if the Reagan family does not back Bush, or any other repulican candidate in the future for that matter? I guess I don't understand why it's an issue if a former presidents family would not back a candidate in the party that he belonged to. Is the Reagan family tied to the repulican party for life now?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #26
New Yorker

The Republicans want to use Reagan to excite their convention.
Here's more on the rebuttal.

"According to a report published Monday on NewsMax.Com, Joanne Drake, chief of staff for the former President's office in Los Angeles, denies the former First Lady does not support President Bush's re-election, saying Nancy Reagan "supports President's Bush's re-election 150 percent."

NewsMax is a right-wing web site financed, in part, by conservative financier Richard Mellon Scaife, a major backer of President George W. Bush.

Ms. Drake, however, has not contacted Capitol Hill Blue to request a retraction nor has any member of the First Lady's Staff, Republican National Committee, President Bush's re-election committee or the NewsMax staff.

The authors of the article, Teresa Hampton and William D. McTavish, tried to obtain an official, on-the-record response to the article before it was published on Friday but their phone calls were not returned and their emails went unanswered.

Sources within the Republican Party, however, said today there was "tremendous pressure" on the former President's staff to "come up with a way" to refute the article. The decision was made to use NewsMax, a pro-GOP site, to issue a rebuttal."

This is the same man that owns an extremely rightwing paper in PA and whose reporter Teresa said to shove it after the paper attacked her on several occassion long before this race.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #27
The Fly

It was announced on CNN today that she is supporting Bush.