1st safe injection site for heroine users in NA - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 PM
ummm....either way they will be mingling with the general public. the only difference is their not shooting up directly in public

Old 09-16-2003, 01:09 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:47 PM
raid the streets. i'm serious... raid the streets. crack down on users, who are breaking the law by being users, and if you don't want to send 'em all to jail, send 'em to rehab, and don't let them leave until they've kicked the habit. if they fall back in, send 'em back. go after the drug dealers themselves. make your borders more secure so that more drug shipments aren't allowed into the nation to begin with (not to mention other things... and people... that cross over the borders illegaly). the law is there for a reason... enforce it. what's next? a place for crack addicts to snort safely? where does it stop? i just can't support something that allows addicts to continute to be addicts, especially if it's sanctioned by the government.

Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 PM
what you propose would cost untold millions, would be near impossible, and in the end would never succeed
Old 09-16-2003, 01:20 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:47 PM
There is no parking lot for the users. These people don't have cars. These people have essentially lost their former lives. They have nothng but the addiction...not even a little hope. This is a clean, safe environment where they can get help through counselling and detox...possibly a little hope should they have a miraculous gust of will to begin to change. People have to realize that Eastside Hastings in Vancouver is very bad. People WILL do the drugs anyway, regardless if you give them a safe place to do it in. There are dirty needles on the ground. It's not a good environment for anyone to be in.

And Headache, if there were cops there to arrest them at the injection site, do you think they'd actually show up? That would be a great way to make sure it didn't work.

You say, "THEY'RE USING HEROIN!!!" but they're using it anyway. That variable does not change. The only one they can control is where they use it, and how. These two variables might help some people actually quit the dangerous habit (ie, detox options, counselors), and at least adds a fair amount control to the spread of desease.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

They should legalize heroin. Then these people won't be addicts. They'll be customers.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:46 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh, so you're telling me that alcoholics aren't addicted to alcohol because it's a legal substance? They're just customers without an addiction? I don't see how legalizing heroin would solve the problem. (And yes, I realize you were being sarcastic.)
Old 09-16-2003, 01:57 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't forget people who are addicted to food, or the internet even.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, of course there are many addictions, legal and illegal. They're not mutually exclusive. I still don't understand your point though. Help me out.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:08 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
raid the streets. i'm serious... raid the streets. crack down on users, who are breaking the law by being users, and if you don't want to send 'em all to jail, send 'em to rehab, and don't let them leave until they've kicked the habit. if they fall back in, send 'em back. go after the drug dealers themselves. make your borders more secure so that more drug shipments aren't allowed into the nation to begin with (not to mention other things... and people... that cross over the borders illegaly). the law is there for a reason... enforce it. what's next? a place for crack addicts to snort safely? where does it stop? i just can't support something that allows addicts to continute to be addicts, especially if it's sanctioned by the government.

Raid the streets? Throw all the criminal heroine addicts in jail? Might as well execute them all, that'd really get rid of the problem.

Have you no compassion?
Tough love is not compassion.

This is a band-aid solution. Throwing them in jail will not stop the existence of the social conditions that cause people to become heroine addicts. Throwing people in jail does not stem poverty or abuse that drive people to drug addiction. Might as well throw all the people who live below the poverty line in jail, just to be sure. That'd fix it.

No one is calling the safe injection sight a prevention of addiction. Stopping the flow of heroine into Canada is something else completely.

A safe injection site offers saftey from diseases asssociated with needle sharing. It also, if anything, offers addicts a compassionate ray of light in otherwise hopeless lives.

People are going to inject whether it is illegal or not. With or without the sight, people will be high. The government is not "legalising" heroine as some people have suggested. It is being realistic and compassionate. It recognises the limitations of it's own anti-drug policies.

One person said it keeps them free from other diseases to die from an overdose. No.
It keeps them safe so that hopefully they can be treated in the future.

It is an act of hope.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

There is no answer to this. Addicts are helpless, sick people w/ a disease. Or. Addicts exercise free will an choose to use. Pick a side. If they're sick, they shouldn't be arrested for it. If it's free will, lock'em up for a long time. Only problem is the law here is 2 faced. STATE:It's illegal to own or use heroin. STATE:Come in here and use heroin. It doesn't do ANYTHING for the addiction, just tries and eliminate the side effects(aids, hep, etc.)
Old 09-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

MrBrau1 - To be perfectly realistic, people who are addicted to heroin are no longer making a choice. It is the most addictive drug on the planet. It is not uncommon for people to die unless they get their fix. At that point, you must concede there is little "choice" involved.

Further, this move isn't designed to stop heroin addiction. It's designed to improve safety on many levels. To that end, in Europe it was a proven success. It's not like this idea was just picked out of the clouds.

Your argument seems to be that if the govenment allows a safe injection site, then they're condoning heroin. Couldn't you put that argument to the streets, as well? Why is it any different? The only difference is the location of use, and how controlled the environment is.

As for stopping heroin coming into Vancouver, good luck. It's a port city surrounded by ocean. You'd need the entire boarder and ocean ports patrolled by military, 24, 7...not only that, you'd need to inspect *every* piece of cargo that comes in. Even if feasable (which it really isn't) do you know how much that would cost? It's not going to happen.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

If you have no compassion for the addict himself, why not have compassion for any non-addicted people they may infect with HIV, for example? Is it not a reasonable argument that a government should do what it can when there is a matter of public health and safety on hand?
Old 09-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:47 AM
I dont support this
Old 09-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I wish you gave your reasons, as it always makes the discussion more interesting. Otherwise it turns into a simple poll.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:23 AM   #30
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:47 AM
These heroin injection rooms are simply a control method of an addiction. There are a few ways to help someone get off the drug, its an almost impossibly difficult habit to beat for sure, but simply controlling it in this way won't do much for helping these people get back on track. A user who goes through any program successfully and wants to stay clean, must be removed from the envirnment they used in. The temptation must be taken away. Once clean, it would be ideal to relocate them. At the price of perhaps losing contact with loved ones, losing contact with those who help feed their addiction is paramount. These people need more than just safe clean heroin and syringes, they need help finding work if they are unemployed, help settling back into a life that does not exist for drugs, help staying clear of those who prove too much of a temptation.
These rooms are a bad idea.