1st safe injection site for heroine users in NA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela - I agree with you that this won't help addiction, itself, a great deal. However, neither will not having the injection site. 34 people have already died of overdoses this year on the streets, and the heroin lifestyle isn't slowing down at all. Dirty needles are rampent, and disease is spreading. The only difference between the two scenarios (the site vs. the streets) is one is able to curb disease and make the environment safer, while the other doesn't. All things being equal, I would choose the former.

Angela Harlem said:
These people need more than just safe clean heroin and syringes, they need help finding work if they are unemployed, help settling back into a life that does not exist for drugs, help staying clear of those who prove too much of a temptation.
I should add, Vancouver has many programs like this already...that's part of the beauty of living in Canada I guess.

Other than that, you cannot force people to enter programs. If you can get them into a safer enviroment, at least you have the opportunity to give them hope...and then maybe they would be more willing to change. Conversely, leaving them on the streets would not help in any way...and would in fact be detrimental to all concerned.

I completely support this idea. I'm not in any way condoning heroin use, I know several people who are/have been addicted to heroin and I think it's a horrible destructive drug. But this project doesn't encourage drug use, it just does what it can to alleviate some of the dangers of drug abuse.

For those people who are always all about the money, think about how much money the government can save if instead of treating people with HIV/AIDS (extremely costly) it can (very cheaply) prevent people becoming infected with HIV.

I used to work in a pharmacy where we operated a needle exchange scheme, which basically means that people can exchange used needles for clean ones and so avoid many of the problems they experience from sharing them. I worked there for two years and I *never* had any objection to any of the people who used the scheme. Then some idiots in the town found out about it and suddenly decided that it must stop immediately because they didn't like us "attracting junkies to the area." The person who owned the pharmacy was a spineless little coward and so we stopped providing the needle exchange. Guess what the result of that was...

Yeah I agree for the most part. My objection though, just to clarify, doesn't mean I support the opposite which is to do nothing and leave these people on the streets to die there, or risk disease etc. I dont agree with either option. There are others. I wonder what percentage of patrons in these rooms are those wanting to change. It takes more than a willingness to overcome the addiction so even with the bare minimum of wanting to, how would this really help? I dont think it will.
Years ago people objected to methadone programs. Now it is legal injecting rooms. Complacency will take hold. Years ago, there was a huge outrage at the 'trial' clinic in Kings Cross. It was never a trial. It was always here to stay.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i hope there are cops waiting outside the doors to arrest all of those 800 people as they leave. how in the hell can a government help people shoot heroin? OK... fine... the heroin users will now be safer against diseases from shared needles. great... but there's a little side effect to this... THEY'RE USING HEROIN!!! Now if you want to give people a place where they can go get help to fight their addiction, without fear of being arrested, that I am all for. What is this really doing? OK fine... they won't overdose. Even if they don't overdose, heroin users still won't be able to live a long and productive life, unless they stop taking heroin. So the death might not be immediate, but using the drug will still eventually end your life prematurely. i don't get it. how are you fighting one certain death by promoting another? ok... you help fight the spread of aids by aiding the use of heroin? i guess you can make the argument that heroin users can give aids to non heroin users. but i still can't support a place that allows people to legaly use heroin. our goal shouldn't be containing drug use, it should be eliminating drug use.

I live in Vancouver and anybody else who does (Michael) knows how bad the heroin situation is and has been here for the past 30 years. There is so many addicts wondering around the Downtown Eastside like zombies that it's like a war zone. 90% of those thousands of addicts have Hepatitis C which means they will eventually die from that never even mind about how many have HIV. Take a trip down any alley around Hastings street and you will see these people huddled in corners shooting up by taking dirty water from puddles iin the ground, then they pass the dirty needles to their friends who use them to also inject. For those who don't know, sharing dirty needles is how diseases and viruses like HIV and hep c are spread.

Frankly it disgusts me what you just wrote there, these people have little to no hope, they have broken lives that go beyond anything you will probably ever go through. I was in Vancouvers big detox to come off some pills a few years ago and I saw these guys for a week come in and live their miserable lives which were full of lies and deception and all their dignity thrown to the ground by people who have views like yours. Once you get past their bad personalities which are a direct effect of the drugs or withdrawl of the drugs you then see that these people are human beings just like you but who for whatever reason are in a really bad and I mean really bad situation where there is little to no help left for them. This is where a thing called compassion comes in. By the way 90% of the worlds heroin comes from the poppy fields of Afghanistan which is now controlled by the U.S. There is more heroin coming from there then there was when the Taliban was in power. What I don't understand is if the U.S. is so against drugs why are they allowing the poppy fields to bloom in Afghanistan ? If the Taliban could outlaw the cultivation of poppies then why can't the U.S. forces crack down and burn the poppy fields ?

I don't know how you can be a U2 fan and feel the way you do by writing what you wrote. You must really hate this song then.

If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could , yes I would
If I could , I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate
If I could throw this
Lifeless lifeline to the wind
Leave this heart of clay
See you walk , walk away
Into the night
And through the rain
Into the half -light
And through the flame
If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break , break away
Into the light
And to the day
To let it go
And so to fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no
If you should ask then maybe they'd
Tell you what I would say
True colors fly in blue and black
Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colors crash , collide in blood shot eyes
If I could , you know I would
If I could , I would
Let it go...
This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so to fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no

Angela, I think you're picturing this building the wrong way.

I get the idea that you believe it is some clean empty building they walk into and shoot up with clean needles.

I'm sure there is a large staff of care givers there who afford the addict every opportunity to quit or lets them know that they are there for them if they DO decide to quit. But they don't force anyone to do anything. I'm sure it isn't manned by an army of uncompassionate drones.

EvolutionMonkey said:

Take a trip down any alley around Hastings street and you will see these people huddled in corners shooting up by taking dirty water from puddles iin the ground, then they pass the dirty needles to their friends who use them to also inject. For those who don't know, sharing dirty needles is how diseases and viruses like HIV and hep c are spread.

that is a very disturbing and moving description. I may be moving to Vancouver in a year, as well...would almost make me second guess that move!!

Angela Harlem said:
I wonder what percentage of patrons in these rooms are those wanting to change. It takes more than a willingness to overcome the addiction so even with the bare minimum of wanting to, how would this really help? I dont think it will.
Years ago people objected to methadone programs. Now it is legal injecting rooms. Complacency will take hold.

just cos of comment like this which make it seem like nobody will be around to support them should them want to quit

but I'm sorry. I intrepreted wrongly.

on another note...I'm doubtful that Heroine use will ever become complacent...I think that is all but impossible.

Ah ok, sorry about that. I was genuinely wondering what kind of percentage do use these rooms for that purpose. I'm sure yours will be much like ours with a number of social and church workers etc on hand to aid anyone who is after it.

On your last bit, I sincerely hope that is the case. There was huge public outcry when our clinic first opened, now there is some quiet about it after it even being announced most likely to stay. That could be in part due to the figures released on how many lives it has saved and all that, and saving lives is always a good thing, I wont say it isn't. I think after time, we get comfortable with previously unheard of approaches and the like. I guess I see this is one of them.

EvolutionMonkey said:

I live in Vancouver and anybody else who does (Michael) knows how bad the heroin situation is and has been here for the past 30 years. There is so many addicts wondering around the Downtown Eastside like zombies that it's like a war zone. 90% of those thousands of addicts have Hepatitis C which means they will eventually die from that never even mind about how many have HIV. Take a trip down any alley around Hastings street and you will see these people huddled in corners shooting up by taking dirty water from puddles iin the ground, then they pass the dirty needles to their friends who use them to also inject. For those who don't know, sharing dirty needles is how diseases and viruses like HIV and hep c are spread.

Frankly it disgusts me what you just wrote there, these people have little to no hope, they have broken lives that go beyond anything you will probably ever go through. I was in Vancouvers big detox to come off some pills a few years ago and I saw these guys for a week come in and live their miserable lives which were full of lies and deception and all their dignity thrown to the ground by people who have views like yours. Once you get past their bad personalities which are a direct effect of the drugs or withdrawl of the drugs you then see that these people are human beings just like you but who for whatever reason are in a really bad and I mean really bad situation where there is little to no help left for them. This is where a thing called compassion comes in. By the way 90% of the worlds heroin comes from the poppy fields of Afghanistan which is now controlled by the U.S. There is more heroin coming from there then there was when the Taliban was in power. What I don't understand is if the U.S. is so against drugs why are they allowing the poppy fields to bloom in Afghanistan ? If the Taliban could outlaw the cultivation of poppies then why can't the U.S. forces crack down and burn the poppy fields ?

I don't know how you can be a U2 fan and feel the way you do by writing what you wrote. You must really hate this song then.

If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could , yes I would
If I could , I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate
If I could throw this
Lifeless lifeline to the wind
Leave this heart of clay
See you walk , walk away
Into the night
And through the rain
Into the half -light
And through the flame
If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break , break away
Into the light
And to the day
To let it go
And so to fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no
If you should ask then maybe they'd
Tell you what I would say
True colors fly in blue and black
Bruised silken sky and burning flag
Colors crash , collide in blood shot eyes
If I could , you know I would
If I could , I would
Let it go...
This desperation
Dislocation
Separation
Condemnation
Revelation
In temptation
Isolation
Desolation
Let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so fade away
To let it go
And so to fade away
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
Wide awake
I'm not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no
Great post from someone who has also seen the situation first hand.

Basstrap said:

that is a very disturbing and moving description. I may be moving to Vancouver in a year, as well...would almost make me second guess that move!!
Oh, Basstrap, Vancouver will get inside your blood, and you'll love it. It's a city of contradictions. It has the cold, reptilian side (the business elite), the warm, kind of granola aspect (the hippies), the Eastern and Asian aspect, the European aspect (Commercial Drive), the Yuppies (Yaletown), the yuppies who are wannabe hippies (Kitsilano), the outdoor adventurists (all of the above--hey, it's Vancouver!), and of course it also has its dark sides. Despite all of this, it's by far the most breathtaking city in North America (scenery wise)....It has the beaches, and also the ski hills 10 minutes away. You can go skiing, golfing, and sailing in the same day. It's truly unique...and has such a creative energy. Just ask Michael Stipe from REM who keeps raving about it after recording their new album here. You'll love it.

Just to add a little inspiration for ya' :wink:

city_false.jpg

vancouver9.jpg

lgdtovair3.JPG

219253.jpg

The part of Hastings Street that has the drug scene is such a tiny part of the city (though it's right next to the most touristy part of Vancouver, Gas Town...go figure?).

Last edited:
i don't know what my opinions on this have anything to do with me being a u2 fan, but anyways.

first off, don't say " beyond anything you will probably ever go through" without knowing who you're talking to. you're right. i don't know what it's like to be a heroin addict. i do know what it's like to go to so many funerals in just a month's time that you start to lose track. i do know what it's like to see the wife of a friend give birth to a baby daughter a month and a half after that friend died suddenly simply by showing up to his 84th floor office for just another day of work.

who puts the first needle into vein? who's choice is it to start using heroin? i have a very good friend who was addicted to coke. i did not feel compassion when he lost his job because he was consistantly late. i did not feel compassion when he was arrested. drugs are an addiction, yes. but it can't become an addiction unless you yourself chose to start using it. it is a life choice. you bring the addiction upon yourself by picking up the needle that first time. what i did do was support him 100% when he went into rehab. and i am incredibly proud of him now that he's overcome his addiction.

that is my point... if my friend was given a place where he could legally use coke? he'd still be an addict today. no doubt in my mind, or his, for that matter (i asked him about this just last night). he needed the humiliation of losing his job and being sent to jail in order to get the message to him that, hey... this is ruining my life. by giving addicts a place where they can continue to be addicts may help slow the spread of disease, but it does nothing to stop addiction. i'm not willing to give up and say "hey, you can't get rid of the drugs, so let's just make it as safe as possiable to use." that's no good for me. that to me is giving up on the addicts. so where is the compassion in that?

who puts the first needle into vein? who's choice is it to start using heroin? i have a very good friend who was addicted to coke. i did not feel compassion when he lost his job because he was consistantly late. i did not feel compassion when he was arrested. drugs are an addiction, yes. but it can't become an addiction unless you yourself chose to start using it. it is a life choice. you bring the addiction upon yourself by picking up the needle that first time. what i did do was support him 100% when he went into rehab. and i am incredibly proud of him now that he's overcome his addiction.

I don't think anyone is debating whether or not it is a choice. The point is people make bad choices all the time, everyone. Everyone pays for that "life choice" in some way or another.

Acting compassionate and feeling compassionate are two different things. The mark of a truly caring and compassionate society is when you act as if you love, as if you feel compassion, even though you might not or think they do not deserve it.

that is my point... if my friend was given a place where he could legally use coke? he'd still be an addict today. no doubt in my mind, or his, for that matter (i asked him about this just last night). he needed the humiliation of losing his job and being sent to jail in order to get the message to him that, hey... this is ruining my life. by giving addicts a place where they can continue to be addicts may help slow the spread of disease, but it does nothing to stop addiction. i'm not willing to give up and say "hey, you can't get rid of the drugs, so let's just make it as safe as possiable to use." that's no good for me. that to me is giving up on the addicts. so where is the compassion in that?

I do not understand how a safe place to do cocaine would have prevented lateness or incompetence at work for your friend.

Again, the sight is not meant to treat addiction. The introduction of safe injection sights does not mean that other measures to prevent addiction will be reduced. It recognises the inescapable truth that there are drug users despite the efforts to stop addiction.

Another thing to recognise is that most of these people don't have a job to lose. They have been driven to the streets for other reasons like poverty and abuse. They are already humiliated which is why they turn to escape. How can you ignore this context?

Last edited:
The state should just give them the drugs. Since these people don't have jobs, they probably steal or sell themselves to pay for the drugs, which puts the public at risk.

MrBrau1 said:
The state should just give them the drugs. Since these people don't have jobs, they probably steal or sell themselves to pay for the drugs, which puts the public at risk.

Actually, this is an interesting question. Part of the argument to decriminalize controlled substances is the reduction in crime.

I'm just following the logic behind the safe injection area. It comes off a sarcastic becuse of where that logic brings you in the end. Keep the junkie and public safe.

People need to know that this problem didn't just start recently, it's been going on for a long time primarily they say because Vancouver has been North America's 3rd largest port city which is where most of these drugs get into the continent. Tons of resources have been tried and thrown at these people, everything from arresting them to giving them alternatives via the volunteers from the Salvation Army to detox's and rehabs to soup kitchens which have people to talk to them. None of this has been affective enough to change most of them.

People hear about this bad situation here for so long that we have become compassionate to this issue and thats why there is no outcry about the safe injection site. It's a very small place, the addict walks in sits in a seat where he has a small bowl that has a clean needle and fresh water in it to use. A health care worker observes the person to make sure everything is going smoothly. Then when the person is finished he goes to another room where he can 'chill' out, he also has the chance to talk to workers who are trained in helping these people to get off the drugs or other forms of help. I think in a place like this where they feel they are given some dignity they may choose to seek help. This is a safe inection site not a rehab or detox. The point of this place is to slow down the spreading of diseases.

I talk to these people sometimes because I like to go to a bar called the Cambie which is in the heart of this area and while they made a bad decision at some point by getting hooked they still have a story to tell when you start talking to them. You can tell they want to get better but what people need to know about heroin is that when they come off of it is very painful but only lasts for about 3-5 days of withdrawl then they are back to normal and because it only takes a few days to withdraw that ends up making it so easy to do it again cause you know in your head that it's not that long to withdraw. The reason they stay on this stuff is because they have some very heavy pain in their hearts, some have been prostitutes and when you do that you can't shake that out of your head so in order to forget your problems you take this stuff cause you know you can just drift away for a little while. For others their families have disowned them and they basically have no families and the only friends they have are felloow addicts some of which die on a regular basis. It's Vancouvers dirty little secret and I have a good feeling about this because honestly I can't think of any other solution for these folks which is the sad part.

I was one of those people who used think I could change the world but now I know that you can't really change other people, you can just show them compassion and show them that you do respect and care for them and then maybe they can see the light and break free.

Basstrap said:

No don't second guess the move there is far more good than bad here, just be aware of the area where the addicts are because it's not good to be there very much but like Michael side it's a tiny part of downtown Vancouver. One thing I have to say about Vancouver well BC for that matter IS THAT IT RULES !!! It has an energy all it's own and the places to see like the beaches and mountains and Ocean is absolutely stunning. It's amazing the diverse amount of cultures here and the variety scenery, that combination makes BC into a world of it's own. So come on down damitt ! :wave:

Well, I decided to stop trying to figure this out and went to the only person I know who has been there and done that..my mom. She was a 25+ year addict and the basic questions I posed to her were:

1) What do you think of place where addicts can get a clean needle and place to inject

2) Would your own drug use have increased or decreased had a place like this been available?

3) Will a place like this do anything to stop the criminal activity involved in heroin use

Here are her answers.

Well, this is an interesting question. During all of the debate over needle exchange programs and such, I always felt the answer would be to just sell syringes to anyone who wanted them. No one is going to stop using drugs, especially heroin, because there are no clean needles, they will just use dirty ones. You can buy a pack of 10 new syringes for about $3. So why not just sell them. I think everyone who uses IV drugs would flock to buy new ones. No one enjoys poking themselves with old dirty dull needles, or sharing needles.

But when you are addicted you will do whatever it takes to get the drug in your system.

I don't know about supplying a place to inject drugs. That is just going to have a whole bunch of dope fiends hanging around dealing drugs and all that goes with it.

No one is going to use more just because there are clean needles available.

I can't believe it never occured to the powers that be to just sell them syringes at the drugstore. They control the sale so tightly, you would think it was the drug itself they were selling.

Hope this gives some insight. It's just my opinion, but having lived it for so long, this just always seemed like a logical thing to do.

Yes, but those dope fiends are there anyway, only spread throughout that entire section of the Eastside for all--the general public included--to come into contact. Not having the site will not change that. Selling clean syringes might work, but how would you sell them to everyone and regulate it? One convenient place where users know about seems more efficient....and given the benefits of having health care workers, also seems more reliable.

MrBrau1 said:
I'm just following the logic behind the safe injection area. It comes off a sarcastic becuse of where that logic brings you in the end. Keep the junkie and public safe.
That logic, as you put it, does not necessarily bring you there in the end. You're not looking at all the variables, and forgetting the context of the situation. Remember that the drug use is happening, and shall continue to happen, regardless. Also remember disease is spreading. These people have no hope, and are dying. They are using dirty water, dirty needles, and each are on the road to nowhere...fast. We can't afford to look at things in a vacuum setting...using principles that don't have context. It's a little more complex. This measure isn't condoning drug use. The aim is to use what we have to work with, without changing the laws. It's no secret why it's hugely supported by the public. They know the situation. It's attempting to alleviate a very bad situation from a public health perspective by trying to contain the problem. It's not a perfect solution that will bring a perfect result. But if you can think of one, I'm listening...

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Yes, but those dope fiends are there anyway, only spread throughout that entire section of the Eastside for all--the general public included--to come into contact. Not having the site will not change that. Selling clean syringes might work, but how would you sell them to everyone and regulate it? One convenient place where users know about seems more efficient....and given the benefits of having health care workers, also seems more reliable.

She's my mom and I love her but I totally disagree with her on selling the needles. If people are stealing to support their habits, they aren't going to be able to pay for needles either.

I mainly just wanted the opinion of someone who has lived the life. :shrug:

If the gvt made the drug available to the user it would allow the regulation of the drug, resulting in less deaths due to bad product. These injection sites could provide clean sanitary products and places for the junkies to shoot-up. In essense the gvt would be regulating their habit. Here is your clean heroin, so you don't have to steal or kill to buy it yourself. Here is a safe place to sit down and shoot up, with plenty of clean utensils.

so i've been thinkin' alot about this one lately and came up with a proposal of my own.

---establish government run rehab centers around the nation. first time drug offenders will be sent to these rehab centers instead of prison. the centers will be sort of like the minimum security federal pen's we have here in the US... not a prison by any sense of the imagination, but ya' still can't leave.
---the person is sentanced to a minimum 6 months in this rehab center, with drug testing 2 times a week in order to make sure visitors don't smuggle drugs in, which is an obvious problem in the prison system in both the US and Canada.
---After the person has been clean for 6 months, he is evaluated by the doctors, and released on a house arrest program. they get one of those human "lojac" things on their ankles for a year after release.
---for the first 2 months, the addict has to check in and be drug tested once a week.
---the next 4 months, once every 2 weeks.
---the next 6 months, once a month. after this full year is up, they get the "lojac" thing taken off their ankle.
---in the second year, once every 3 months.
---third year, once every 6 months.
---fourth year, once. after the 4 years is up, they're evaluated once again, and then they're off the program, but still on probation for 5 years.
---at any time, if they fall back in to drug use, they can voluntary readmit themselves to the program without penalty.
---if they are arrested with drugs on their person while on the outside, they are now sent to prison to serve whatever the sentance for that possession may be, and upon release from prison, are sent back to the rehab center program.
---first time offenders can voluntarily admit themselves to the program before being arrested without facing any legal penalty.
---for those who do turn themselves in the first time, if they are arrested for posession after completing the program, they are waived from the jail time and are sent straight to the rehab center. from there on out, they no longer get any preferential treatment... meaning if they're arrested again upon completion of the program a second time, they are sent to prison.
---manditory minimum sentances are given for drug dealers as a deterant. most dealers, and users as well, start with "gateway drugs," like pot or ecstasy. a minimum sentance of 2 years in jail for dealing these small time drugs would keep many younger dealers from starting in the first place.
---Create a national drug-dealer database, similar to the sex-offender database. A person must regester in this database if they are convicted of dealing drugs. This database is given to all law enforcement agencies throughout the nation. When a person moves in to a new apartment/house, etc., their info is sent through the database, giving local law enforcement agencies a "heads up" that a convicted drug dealer has moved into the area.
---The database will have a rank system based upon the severity of the crime. Some punk kid who was sellin' small amounts of pot out of his college dorm room would be listed as a "minor risk," while Tony Montana would get a "severe risk" on his chart.
---Continue work to shore up the ports, not only to stop drug imports, but for the obvioius reason of national security.

So there's my proposal. It'll help get users and dealers off the streets, while giving those who are addicted a chance to recover, while not just letting them go unaccountable for their actions. The fewer users and dealers on the street, the fewer people using dirty needles, the less likely to spread disease.

so i've been thinkin' alot about this one lately and came up with a proposal of my own.

---establish government run rehab centers around the nation. first time drug offenders will be sent to these rehab centers instead of prison. the centers will be sort of like the minimum security federal pen's we have here in the US... not a prison by any sense of the imagination, but ya' still can't leave.
---the person is sentanced to a minimum 6 months in this rehab center, with drug testing 2 times a week in order to make sure visitors don't smuggle drugs in, which is an obvious problem in the prison system in both the US and Canada.
---After the person has been clean for 6 months, he is evaluated by the doctors, and released on a house arrest program. they get one of those human "lojac" things on their ankles for a year after release.
---for the first 2 months, the addict has to check in and be drug tested once a week.
---the next 4 months, once every 2 weeks.
---the next 6 months, once a month. after this full year is up, they get the "lojac" thing taken off their ankle.
---in the second year, once every 3 months.
---third year, once every 6 months.
---fourth year, once. after the 4 years is up, they're evaluated once again, and then they're off the program, but still on probation for 5 years.
---at any time, if they fall back in to drug use, they can voluntary readmit themselves to the program without penalty.
---if they are arrested with drugs on their person while on the outside, they are now sent to prison to serve whatever the sentance for that possession may be, and upon release from prison, are sent back to the rehab center program.
---first time offenders can voluntarily admit themselves to the program before being arrested without facing any legal penalty.
---for those who do turn themselves in the first time, if they are arrested for posession after completing the program, they are waived from the jail time and are sent straight to the rehab center. from there on out, they no longer get any preferential treatment... meaning if they're arrested again upon completion of the program a second time, they are sent to prison.
---manditory minimum sentances are given for drug dealers as a deterant. most dealers, and users as well, start with "gateway drugs," like pot or ecstasy. a minimum sentance of 2 years in jail for dealing these small time drugs would keep many younger dealers from starting in the first place.
---Create a national drug-dealer database, similar to the sex-offender database. A person must regester in this database if they are convicted of dealing drugs. This database is given to all law enforcement agencies throughout the nation. When a person moves in to a new apartment/house, etc., their info is sent through the database, giving local law enforcement agencies a "heads up" that a convicted drug dealer has moved into the area.
---The database will have a rank system based upon the severity of the crime. Some punk kid who was sellin' small amounts of pot out of his college dorm room would be listed as a "minor risk," while Tony Montana would get a "severe risk" on his chart.
---Continue work to shore up the ports, not only to stop drug imports, but for the obvioius reason of national security.

So there's my proposal. It'll help get users and dealers off the streets, while giving those who are addicted a chance to recover, while not just letting them go unaccountable for their actions. The fewer users and dealers on the street, the fewer people using dirty needles, the less likely to spread disease.

Headache,

You seem obsessed with making these people pay for their "crime" of drug addiction. I think having such a dependancy, being impoverished, shunned by society is probaby enough "payment".

National rehab centres sounds good I suppose. I can't see anything wrong that. But your solution is one dimensional. It is still a band-aid. It does nothing to fix systemic poverty that exists in America and Canada and is the cause of most drug use. How on earth can someone be on house arrest if they have no house? Or how can you send someone back to an abusive parent and expect them to not to turn back to drugs? Drug use is a symptom of a larger problem.

You have not addressed this issue in any of your posts.

So the addict has no responsibility in this? They're just helpless people, using drugs to escape abusive parents, or the misery of their unrealized dreams? If they really have no choice in the matter there is NOTHING you can do to help them. Outcome is predetermined.

thank you MrBrau. last i checked, drug use IS a crime. people who use hardship in their life as an excuse to use drugs... well... it's nothing more than an excuse. there are many homeless out there who do not do drugs. there are many who have come from places of abuse who do not do drugs. there are many who are children of abusers who do not use drugs. the majority of the people in the united states and canada do not use drugs.

i don't connect poverty to drug use, because there is no connection. it is a poor excuse. drug users come from all ranges of wealth, from the quote-unquote "top 1%" right down to those below the poverty line. in many cases, junkies who are homeless often got that way because they were junkies. if drug use is the result of systematic poverty, as you put it, then how do you explain the numerous celebrities and athletes with drug problems? what is their issue?

You seem obsessed with narrowing the focus of drug abuse to just the impoverished and the "shunned." But the pandemic of drug use is a problem that crosses all barriers as far as wealth, race, gender, religion and sexual preference. We've seen with AIDS/HIV that narrowing the focus to one select group can be very dangerous and doesn't tackle the entire problem.

I understand that it's an addiction, but it is most deffinetly also a crime. So while I support giving drug addicts some sort of way to kick their habbit, but there has to be some sort of punishment, wether it be for the homeless or the extremely wealthy.

I go back to my main point. Who puts the first needle to vein? Who snorts the first line of blow? Who smokes the first doobie? It may be an addiction after you start, but it's a personal decision the first time. Every person has free will. And every person, no matter what wealth class they might be in, can decide NOT to take drugs.

Back
Top Bottom