18th Anniversary of the Chernobyl Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
I am remembering this On April 26th, 1986, reactor Number 4 at the Chernobyl nuclear site in Ukraine exploded and caught fire, spreading radiation over much of northern Europe. Seven million people in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine are estimated to have suffered physical or psychological effects.150,000 kilometres - an area half the size of Italy - were contaminated, while agricultural areas covering nearly 52,000 square kilometres - more than the size of Denmark - were ruined.

Still many problems remain, chronic health problem in children economic fall out.. my hearts and prayers to everyone who has been affected by this disaster and thanks to all who work to make sure this will not happen again and who assist those in need..

www.adiccp.org- Chernobyl Childrens Project
http://www.chernobyl-children.org.uk/

Last edited:
Yes I unfortunately was not aware before to the exact extent the danger that is still at the site.. I knew a little but when I spoke to some one a friend involved a while back I became even more aware of just what could happen .. I hope they take proper steps to remedy this situation ... there has been enough tragedy already here..

an actually it didnt hit me until I had the e-mail this morning about Adi and the UN event to jog the old memory and wow I can't believe its 18 years really.... I was but a little girl I guess 8 years old..

The problem is that you can't make Nuclear Powerplants 100% safe.
Also you can minimize the risk it's still a tragedy when it hapens.
There are so many Nuclear Powerplants in the world and if you multiply the %-risk and the number of powerplants it's not that impossible anymore that one of them have a core meltdown.

Back
Top Bottom