18 Killed in German School Shooting - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2002, 10:15 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 12:47 PM
Terrible tragedy.

Maybe if the school had an armoury then school security could have taken him out before he did so much damage.

Old 04-27-2002, 12:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by *Stormy*:
This is also proof that gun control is not the answer- if a person is crazy and wants to kill, he will get the gun, or some other weapon, like 9-11. The scariest thing is we never know who, when or where until we hear it on the news. I am very sorry for everyone hurt by the tragedy.

Or maybe this is proof that stricter gun control is necessary. That boy apparently had a license! He was a member of 2 shooting clubs (of which one was of the police). Ironically, later in the afternoon the German parliament approved a law for stricter gun control as Germany currently has more than 10 million legal guns. Stricter control may prevent tragedies like this, as it will be more difficult to get one.

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Old 04-27-2002, 02:28 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by *Stormy*:
This is also proof that gun control is not the answer- if a person is crazy and wants to kill, he will get the gun, or some other weapon, like 9-11. The scariest thing is we never know who, when or where until we hear it on the news. I am very sorry for everyone hurt by the tragedy.

This is IMO (as the Columbine and other killing sprees around the world) exactly why there should be gun control.
Yes, we never know when or where it will happen, and it's true if someone wants a gun, chances are he will find a way to get it.

BUT i don't think it's ever a good idea to have loose/or no weapon control - in a state of peace in a country. What possible good can come out of legally allowing a teenager owning a weapon? Or some adult that will go nuts one day? Or take a chance (if the gun is in a family house) that little children might find it and accidentally shoot themselves or/and others? Or allowing some gang member to get access to it?
Also, by increasing the number of people that can access weapons easily, don't you by common sense increase the chances of killings?
The point of view "only bad people are dangerous with guns" just doesn't apply. Weapons are a threat by themselves, always.

At the very least governments should have strict(er) regulations about aquiring guns. Make sure those who apply for aquiring weapons weren't charged with some crime earlier, make really long birocratic procedures, special taxes on weapons, check for any mental problems they might have, reconsider if someone has drug problems and wants guns...

The answer lies in the family itself and the society. That's where it should start.

ps: How much more does it take before action is taken?
I saw some TV footage - so horrifiyng to see all those people crying and hugging...

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-27-2002).]
Old 04-28-2002, 06:55 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:47 AM
With the majority of the people killed in this incident, it goes to show that teachers are not paid enough. It is getting to the point that being a teacher is almost as dangerous of a job as a police officer.