16 Year Old Marries Her 40 Year Old High School Track Coach - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MirrorballLemon
I'm a 23 yr old HS teacher...

I know what I think about this, but would it be any different if the coach was in his 20s?
No. It happened at the high school I went to. The coach was convicted.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MirrorballLemon
I'm a 23 yr old HS teacher...

I know what I think about this, but would it be any different if the coach was in his 20s?
It would be less creepy (sexually) but just as wrong because teachers have no business dating students. Period.

I mean, there are clear cut rules about doctors not being able to sleep with patients, lawyers not being able to sleep with clients, so why should this be any different? If anything, it's much worse because you're dealing with minors rather than adults who are employing your services.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I mean, there are clear cut rules about doctors not being able to sleep with patients, lawyers not being able to sleep with clients, so why should this be any different?
Aren't those rules within their licensing associations though, not actual laws?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Aren't those rules within their licensing associations though, not actual laws?
Well what criminal law provision states that a teacher can't date a 14 year old, provided there is no intercourse?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Well what criminal law provision states that a teacher can't date a 14 year old, provided there is no intercourse?
I didn't ask about a teacher and a student. I asked about a lawyer or a doctor dating an adult client.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, the College of Physicians (or whatever it's called locally) and the Bar Associations set codes of ethical behaviour. Same goes for nurses, teachers, etc.

So I'm not really sure what your point was. I called them rules, not laws.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:07 PM
It's interesting how very different it is when the teacher is female and the male student ends up marrying her.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #53
Refugee

The parents are stupid.

The guy is a deadset creep.

The 16 year old girl has some issues:

i mean to be attracted to a 40yr old in the first place.....i mean shit.....i remember when i was 16, 40 was the age of my dad and that was frikkin' fossil material

But then again....... i can't talk (but anyhooo, I will!) LOL ......... i went out with a guy who was 10 years older than me , i was 18......he was a complete bastard, and i can only assume he was a little SPECIAL in the head.

I realised that when i reached the age of 28 myself and i had 2 children by then that i thought to myself what a sad,sad,sad little man for wanting to date a young girl like me , (i could not even contemplate dating someone, let alone having sex with a 18 year old man at that age, it was just WRONG!)

He would use guilt trips and know what buttons to press to get his own way with me.... i was trapped , i could not see the wood for the trees.

That is the reason why SOME men like 16-18yr olds.....it's all about CONTROL and POWER. They would not get away with those mindsets with women their own age
Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #54
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if these two had sex even the day before their wedding, it would be considered statutory rape, right?

It strikes me as a huge legal inconsistency that two people can legally have sex inside a marriage despite the fact that if they didn't have a piece of paper and a fancy ceremony, it would be illegal and he'd be off to jail. The way I see it, if you can't legally have sex, you shouldn't be able to legally get married.

This story is hideously repulsive.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if these two had sex even the day before their wedding, it would be considered statutory rape, right?
It would if she was under the age of consent (16) but she is already 16.

I'm just wondering if the parents/friends or other reli's can still stop the marriage by objecting to the marriage at the church or celebrant....you know....the bit when the priest says "Is there anyone that is against or objects to this union/marriage", or something like that.

I've been to a few weddings and they all say that , i have never been to one that someone that has actually piped up and said "Yes", thank God, it would be awful to have that happen but it must be in place for a reason,surely.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is a big story here... Brunswick Co. is New Hanover Co.'s/Wilmington NC's backyard - just across the Cape Fear River, actually.

According to yesterday's local paper, Windy's parents did everything they knew to interrupt/interfere with the relationship: they approached Wuchae when they realized their daughter had a potentially dangerous fascination/crush - he denied there was any reciprocation on his part. When they saw that to be untrue, they approached the school principal, the school board, and finally the county sherriff's office. None of these entities could find proof of any illegal activity - immoral & inappropriate perhaps, but not illegal.

The school board has since announced plans to develop something of a moral contract that their teachers would have to agree to & sign.

I don't know the family involved, but it's been reported that they did everything short of chain the kid to her bed to put an end to this. I think they finally chose the lesser of two evils: signing the consent & allowing her to take the path she wanted so they'll at least maintain something of a relationship with her, versus the alternative of trying to forbid her any longer & having the two of them run off to God knows where & never being heard of again.

As for the relationship itself, I personally think it's doomed, but who's to say? In spite of how she appears from this story, maybe she's a remarkably mature young woman & after the scandal blows over they'll just seem like any other May/December couple.

Again, from everything I've been able to read, these aren't parents who've raised a brat with no boundries & now are wringing their hands, crying 'Woe is me!' because they just don't understand how this could happen. These were involved parents who did everything they could legally do: followed her movements to & from work or school so they knew her whereabouts, monitored her cell phone, talked to school officials, etc. etc.

Interesting, though... I didn't realize this had gotten national attention.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

It strikes me as a huge legal inconsistency that two people can legally have sex inside a marriage despite the fact that if they didn't have a piece of paper and a fancy ceremony, it would be illegal and he'd be off to jail. The way I see it, if you can't legally have sex, you shouldn't be able to legally get married.

This story is hideously repulsive.
I never even considered that.

You're right. Why should their being married make it suddenly OK? The marriage certificate isn't going to make her magically 18 instead of 16.

The hypocracy boggles the mind.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

I never even considered that.

You're right. Why should their being married make it suddenly OK? The marriage certificate isn't going to make her magically 18 instead of 16.

The hypocracy boggles the mind.
Because they are straight, that's all that matters in this country.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

was this guy actually her teacher or just her coach? because from the article it sounded like he was just her coach - if so, while not making it right, it would not be as bad as a teacher getting together with a student.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
was this guy actually her teacher or just her coach? because from the article it sounded like he was just her coach - if so, while not making it right, it would not be as bad as a teacher getting together with a student.
A high school coach is still in a position of authority over underage kids, so it's not really any different.