16,000 species threatened with extinction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.spacedaily.com/2004/041117070045.s2086wtg.html

Nearly 16,000 of the world's plant and animal species face extinction largely because of the destructive behaviour of mankind, according to a major new environmental report out Wednesday.
Over-exploitation, climate change and habitat destruction are to blame for a crisis that has wiped out at least 27 species from the wild over the last two decades, according to the World Conservation Union's (IUCN) red list of threatened species.

The report says more than 7,000 animal species are threatened with extinction including 32 percent of amphibians, 42 percent of turtles and tortoises, 23 percent of mammals and 12 percent of birds.

Among the casualties since last year's report, the IUCN confirms the Hawaiian thrush has gone the way of the dodo with no sighting of the bird for 15 years. Costa Rica's golden toad has also been listed as extinct largely through climate change, pollution and disease.

More than 8,000 plants are listed as threatened with the St Helena olive tree the latest to be declared extinct after the last remaining seedling withered and died in November last year without any seeds kept.

"Every time we lose a species we break a life chain which has evolved over 3.5 billion years," said IUCN chief scientist Jeffrey McNeely.

Less is known about marine species but the report says early signs showed it was equally serious with fishermen overexploiting the seas to the point of extinction for many species.

The humphead wrasse is listed as endangered after its numbers declined by at least 50 percent over the last 30 years after being heavily fished in Southeast Asia for restaurants and the destruction of its coral reef habitat.

"Although 15,589 species are known to be threatened with extinction, this greatly underestimates the true number as only a fraction of known species have been assessed," said Craig Hilton-Taylor, who helped in compiling the report.

Because of the intervention of humans, the current extinction rate is estimated to be up to 1,000 times the expected natural one. Since 1500 AD, some 784 extinctions have been recorded, according to the IUCN.

"The current extinction phenomenon is one for which a single species, ours, appears to be almost wholly responsible," it said.

Indonesia, India, Brazil and China are among the countries with the most threatened mammals and birds. Plant species are declining rapidly in South and Central America, Central and West Africa and Southeast Asia.

Last year's report said 12,259 species were threatened but officials said the increase in threatened species of more than 3,300 was largely down to improved and expanded research work.

The release of the report is the latest in a series of gloomy assessments over the state of the world's plants and animals.

A three-year study published last month said more than 100 amphibian species are feared to have disappeared since 1980 largely because of pollution and global warming. Scientists feared hundreds more will become extinct in coming decades.

Amphibians, with their highly permeable skins, are particularly sensitive to changes to freshwater and air quality and considered one of nature's best indicators of environmental health.

The IUCN said half of the world's wetlands have been destroyed in the past century and more than a quarter of the world's coral reefs have also been lost.

Species die, there is consistent turnonver, the trends among amphibians is very interesting, is it a disease, just saying.

The species which will ultimately die from its arrogance, short-sightedness and greed will be a species we all know well - the human species.

When we fail to regard with sanctity the various life forms around us and protect their right to live unimpeded from the deleterious effects of man (pollution, habit destruction, etc), we diminish the importance of life and speed up our own destruction.

Or, in other words, INSTANT KARMA is gonna get ya!

Serious article - thanks hiphop for posting. :up:

Oy how depressing. I'll bring this up in my enviro-sci class today. Humans are too quick to shrug this off, for we may not realize how far the impact would reach and how it affects us until it's too late.

U2democrat said:
Oy how depressing. I'll bring this up in my enviro-sci class today. Humans are too quick to shrug this off, for we may not realize how far the impact would reach and how it affects us until it's too late.

Isn't this what evolution is all about??

Species die off all the time. Most go unrecorded.

This is exactly what I'm saying. As of now we don't realize the impact we're having but in future generations it's going to bite us in the butt if we don't take action. This is exactly what we're talking about in Enviro Sci.

nbcrusader said:

Species die off all the time.

Yes, this is the basis of evolution.

What is happening presently is human activity greatly "enhancing" the speed of evolution, and this is an artificial system that should cause significant concern.

nbcrusader said:
If we are part of evolution, how can we make it artificial?

There is a big difference between a species' biological role in the world in the context of evolution which is progressing naturally (ie. a species overbreeding due to sheer numbers which results in a collapse of the food pyramid and a decrease in population size) and a purposeful, artificial, destructive manipulation of one's environment.

The simplest way to explain this is that genetic fitness is a determinant of the direction of evolution. There is no argument that can prove that fitness is increased by individuals driving a gas-guzzling SUV. In fact, you can probably argue the exact opposite, as the component of the human race which is the most destructive actually has the lowest fitness.

It is a mass extinction, the rate of species decline has been increasing for quite some time now and we are in the middle of it, the question becomes is it human action that is driving this, other processes or (most likely) a combination of the two.

anitram said:
There is a big difference between a species' biological role in the world in the context of evolution which is progressing naturally (ie. a species overbreeding due to sheer numbers which results in a collapse of the food pyramid and a decrease in population size) and a purposeful, artificial, destructive manipulation of one's environment.

The simplest way to explain this is that genetic fitness is a determinant of the direction of evolution. There is no argument that can prove that fitness is increased by individuals driving a gas-guzzling SUV. In fact, you can probably argue the exact opposite, as the component of the human race which is the most destructive actually has the lowest fitness.

But isn't that what we've evolved into? Creature who have the ability to manipulate the environment beyond their own habitat.

And fitness is improved when you drive a large SUV and get into an accident with a small sub-compact car.

nbcrusader said:

And fitness is improved when you drive a large SUV and get into an accident with a small sub-compact car.

Do you seriously mean to tell me that you believe this is a significant contributor to evolutionary fitness? Firstly, it does not contribute to indirect fitness at all, so that component is out. Second, this "advantage" cannot overcome a low birth rate any way you slice it.

I think that there is a confusion between manipulating your environment with technology to survive (e.g. clothing, shelter, spears all the way to submarines and space suits) and the "red in tooth and claw" view of evolution that strength = survival, humanity is an example of where intelligence has been the determining factor in our survival.

Here is a thought, does human induced change drive increased speciation? how will genetic engineering alter the shape of life on our planet.

:drool: a_wanderer :drool: ready to take pax and dave down? :wink:

I can only hope that my generation will help the environment so that of my niece's generation will have something nice to live in.

Usually when evolution occurs without an extremely dominant species like the human being, species evolve into other species, habitats evolve into other habitats which leaves space for other species to blossom or evolve. At the rate this is going, the human induced part of extinction and the speed at which it occurs causes species to die out while no species are being added. It is extremely disturbing and the number of 16000 is most certainly an underestimation (if that’s a word) since only known species are counted. Of course it is also possible that new species evolve without us knowing but logic suggest we would have seen an increase in discoveries, especially when you take into consideration that the habitats in which the known extinctions occur are being closely monitored.

Species appear and dissapear, there is an inherent arrogance within the human species that is shown when we think we alone can destroy the planet without even trying.

I got my eyes on you U2Democrat

A_Wanderer said:
Species appear and dissapear, there is an inherent arrogance within the human species that is shown when we think we alone can destroy the planet without even trying.

It's not about destroying the planet, but about species and eco-systems. We've already destroyed entire eco-systems without trying. Just drop all legislation and see how much we can destroy 'without trying'.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:

I got my eyes on you U2Democrat

:yes: I agree. We are very arrogant.

:drool::hug:you're so wonderful.:kiss::hug:

I was reading a book about extinct birds, and the stories of how they happened, especially the passenger pidgeon and the great auk, were very upsetting. People are SO STUPID! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom