11 year old Romanian girl, 20 weeks pregnant with Uncle who raped her's baby.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
updated 10:06 a.m. PT, Thurs., June. 26, 2008

BUCHAREST, Romania - Twenty church groups on Thursday urged a government committee not to allow an 11-year-old girl who was raped by her uncle go to Britain for an abortion.

The anti-abortion Christian Orthodox groups also threatened to press charges if the girl were allowed to have a termination in Romania on exceptional grounds.

Their position was in contrast to the official stand of the Romanian Orthodox Church, which said the decision should be left to the girl's family.

A government committee is to decide on Friday whether the girl can go to Britain for an abortion or must continue the pregnancy. A Romanian living in Britain has offered to meet the costs.

The girl's pregnancy only became known earlier this month when her parents took her to a doctor because she appeared unwell. She told doctors she had been raped by her 19-year-old uncle, who has since disappeared.

She is now 20 weeks pregnant. The legal limit for abortions in Romania is 14 weeks. Abortions can be carried out later only to save the life of the mother.

In Britain an abortion is legal up to 24 weeks if two doctors decide that the risk to a woman's physical or mental health will be greater if she continues with the pregnancy than if she ends it.

The case has bitterly split the medical community, child rights groups and the public.

Split within church
In a statement, the church groups offered "material, spiritual and psychological help" to the child's impoverished family, adding they would also rear the child in a church institution if the family was unable to care for it.

But splits were apparent even within the church.

Constantin Stoica, spokesman for the Romanian Orthodox Church, to which more than 80 percent of Romanians belong, said Wednesday it was "an exceptional situation which must be treated in an exceptional manner and the family is the only one to take this decision."

He said the church considers abortion a crime, but this belief applies to normal circumstances and not to incest or rape.

The National Child Protection Authority has said the girl should be allowed to have an abortion because she is already traumatized by the experience of rape and pregnancy.

The National Doctors Council, however, said that the rights of the fetus should be considered and the pregnancy should go ahead. They argued that abortion laws should not be liberalized further.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm really not for abortion......but I think I'd fight to let my daughter have an abortion. I can't imagine being 11 and being pregnant.....ugh.....makes me shiver...

Oh my, you guys haven't see anything...

One of my teachers of school told me that, when she was in a small town of our state, to give some classes for poor child, she met a 9 years old girl who was pregnant :/
And other sayed that a man raped his own daughter but, the most bizarre of all is that...the girl started to feel atrction by her dad!
And now (believing or not) they live togheter and have 3 childs

I mean, can u believe in this?
Sometimes I wonder of this kind of people have in mind :|

They should have let her get one weeks ago. She's too far along now, babies are viable (at least in the US) at 20-22 weeks and have survived as preemies. So aborting this one would be plain murder, and probably just as traumatic physically for her as a birth. Go ahead and have it, but put it up for adoption (we all know how great Romanian orphanages are!) and lock the uncle up.

^ Agreed with that. It should have never been a debatable issue - she should have been allowed to go ahead with it right away. Late-term abortion is an awful thing.

It is a tricky situation, because if it could viably live outside the womb, then aborting it seems like well not murder, but definately not the best solution. On the other hand, Romania is full to the hilt of orphans living in the most grimmest, horrendous orphanages, who were born in a normal way, let alone a rape by incestous relatives. What sort of life is this child going to have? Who in such a fearful and supersticious place is going to adopt this baby?

Just shitty all round!

[q]Associated Press, June 27

The government has ruled that a pregnant 11-year-old who was raped by a relative can have an abortion in Romania. Twenty Christian Orthodox church groups have threatened to press charges if the government allows the girl, who is 21 weeks pregnant, to have an abortion in the country, where abortions are illegal beyond 14 weeks of pregnancy unless the woman’s life is endangered. But Theodora Bertzi, a Labor Ministry official and a member of the committee that ruled on the case, said the government had to respect the rights of the child, who told doctors that she had been raped by her 19-year-old uncle. He has disappeared. The position of the church groups was in contrast to the official stand of the Romanian Orthodox Church, which said the decision should be left to the family.[/q]

When I was in fourth grade, there was a girl in my class who began menustrating during that school year. Then again, she was very obese, and supposedly that causes early puberty.

ETA: also, there was a case about a month ago where an illegal immigrant raped a 10 year old and she recently gave birth to the rapist's child.

Last edited:
Unbelievable, let the girl have the abortion already!!! What kind of future will they both have. When the mother is in 12th grade the kid would be in kindergarten. Thats just not right. :no::tsk::no:

And this is why I believe in the death penalty. Those motherfuckers should be shot in the head, period. Just get rid of that waste.:|

Too late. The Supreme Court ruled against that.

I think its important, for all countries to have a sensible grown up debate regardless of religious alignment on abortion.

On a side note.

Lets all go Britain for free healthcare. Health tourism is costing the British economy greatly.

Yeah, I know...

Here's something for laughs:

jdcrowe2008062037728.gif

This really disturbs me. I can't imagine harming any child. Especially, rape.

I am a mother and grandmother. And if any "freak" tried to hurt my grand daughter who is four years old. They better pray to God that the police find them, before I do....

Back
Top Bottom