11 states vote on gay marriage - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
War Child
Local Time: 12:27 PM
11 states vote on gay marriage

This is one part of yesterday's election that has not been mentioned yet in FYM. (to my knowledge)

What are people's thoughts regarding all 11 states voting to add an amendment to ban gay marriage?

Old 11-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:27 PM

Don't get me started

Old 11-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
New Yorker
Local Time: 08:27 AM

If you don't think gay marriage is okay...don't get married to someone of the same sex.

PS Melon, if you're out there anywhere,
Old 11-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 07:27 AM
It's been mentioned and it's a sad day for America...one closer step to fundamentalism.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:27 AM
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Don't get me started
That’s what I was going to say.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
The Flower
Local Time: 04:27 AM

(that's how I feel about it)
Old 11-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
War Child
I feel so mixed on this issue...I mean, I voted 'no' on the MI proposal and would vote "no" on any proposal to discriminate against people based on whom they love, but at the same time I feel like the state shouldn't be in the business of doing anything but creating legal arrangements between people anyway.
The State, and the states, should be giving us *all* civil unions, gay straight whatever, and "marriages" are for individual religious groups to confer.
to define marriage is just not any government's business, imho. I guess given that they play the game with heterosexual couples, it's only fair that they do it with homosexual couples, but what else can they legislate...that couples submit to 'therapy' sessions to try and save the 'union' before a divorce is granted, etc?
It's all crap, for a government to get into any aspect of a relationship but the legal aspects, and I surely would have no problem trading in marriage licenses for civil union licenses all around. prefer it actually.

that said, I think that at least some of the folks who voted in favor of reserving the term 'marriage' for a union between a man and a woman were making a semantic commitment and would still be for civil union, but maybe only some. I think if they are asked about whether gay couples should have this that and the other rights they might change their tune, but there is something that causes bristling when deep semantic commitments are challenged, and that might be getting touched off with that issue unfortunately.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by ShellBeThere
I voted 'no' on the MI proposal and would vote "no" on any proposal to discriminate against people based on whom they love
Same here, voted NO.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

(that's how I feel about it)

me too, sister!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #10

Tis a sad day for me. I thought more people understood how extreme Ohio's one was, but I was wrong.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Face it, people don't want to give official sanction or tax breaks to gay couples, threesomes, unmarried cohabiting couples, or incestuous couples. The people have spoken.

(I say this as someone who would have voted to legalize gay marriage or some legal approximation thereof in my state, were it to be put to the vote.)
Old 11-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
MacPhisto's serving wench
again minority groups are discriminated against. why do we feel continuously surprised even though deep down, we knew this would happen? why do we always hol dout some hope for the good of humanity??
Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #13
Local Time: 12:27 PM
Yes, this is one particular result of the election that made me very sad.

Razors pain you; Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you; And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful; Nooses give;
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 11-04-2004, 09:10 AM   #14
Local Time: 05:27 AM
I don't know. It's such a hard issue.

I am LDS, and I believe being homosexual is a sin. BUT, most religious people are NOT bigots. I'm not a bigot, and I, in a way, think it's wrong that this issue was brought up. In a way, it makes me very sad.

This is also why I'm proud to be Utahn, because unlike all the other states, more Utahns voted for Bush than voted for this amendment. Therefore, it shows that many Utahns were thinking twice about this, uncomfortable with it, and still are, even the ones who voted for it. We don't think it was necessary or necessarily right.

I think a lot of people just didn't really know what to do. They knew it was important, but, really, didn't know how to go about it, whether to vote or not.

I know my mom asked me what I thought about it, if we should vote yes. We may believe homosexuality is a sin, but we are good people and are not bigots, and we really didn't know what this really implied. So, I think a lot of Utahns just went with what they believe, but malice is not in their hearts.

Still, it's not over. We'll get it all straightened out in the end.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:27 AM

there are so many pressing issues that deserve our attention, and this is not one of them. the state should stay out of people's private lives rather than discriminate against and exclude people who they deem to be *different*. we're all just human beings who want to find love and be happy, and the state has no business trying to regulate this.