11 states vote on gay marriage - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mellyinsf

You're correct, rights are not based on numbers. They are based on freedom and equality--things that are enshrined in our Constitution. The Bible is completely irrelevant to any dicussion about the rights of US citizens.
Who said anything about the Bible???

Quote:

This is a secular country. There are very good reasons why close relatives should not marry.
Such as?

In anticipation of your response, I narrowed the question down to this: are there any good reasons why gay incestuous couples or menopausal incestuous couples should not marry?

Quote:

There are no good reasons--under our Constitution, not under any religious document--why consenting gay adults should not marry. To bring up incest is begging the question--it's a specious argument.
"Begging the question" is something entirely different -- it means to assume the truth of a proposition one is attempting to prove.

You might have meant to call it a "red herring" -- but you'll see the punchline soon.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:50 PM   #107
The Fly

Local Time: 12:07 PM
NBcrusader and numerous other posters on this thread have injected the Bible into this argument. If a gay incestuous couple wants to marry, there is no good reason--again, under the Constitution--why they shouldn't. However, to bring up these extreme incest examples only serves to take the thread away from the salient point: there is nothing in the Constitution that supports not giving gays the right to marry.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:59 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:07 AM
I think that the rules of marriage should be uniform here, the abnormalities the can result from incestuous relationships are the reason why most of the worlds religions consider them wrong, those laws are there for a decent reason. If you allowed gay marriage then it should be applied equally and forbid incestuous relationships even gay ones. After all, this is all about equality.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:26 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mellyinsf
NBcrusader and numerous other posters on this thread have injected the Bible into this argument.
While a devote Christian, I haven't engaged in a Biblican discussion regarding gay marriage as it seems to be outside the bounds of what people want to discuss. Speedracer is pointing to the non-Biblical principles of why we do things.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #110
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
where?

at a klan meeting?
See, I thought that was low. I got the 1% number from some web site. I'm thinking it's more like 10% right?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

i have seen 5 and ten thrown around, too.

it is difficult to pin down

i just got to believe it is quite a bit more than 1 per cent.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #112
The Fly

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Marriage is the institution which to create and foster children. Since those of the same sex cannot have children together, they do not need a marriage. They can rent a condo together somewhere down on the shore, preferably well away from me and out of view of our children, but we the majority will not be granting them any marriage licenses.

If at any point these same-sex couples do wish to get married, they can create their own anything-goes country and issue their own licenses and we will wish them the best of luck and even help them pack their bags and fill their Volkswagens with their belongings. This is a Democracy, a nation founded by Christians and we still rule the land as evident by Tuesday's family-values victory, and we're not about to let the far-left hijack our family units and redefine them.

They may have taken our televisions and hijacked them with far-left ideas and perversion, but we're not about to let them take our family units. That is all, we're now the majority, and we have no intentions of changing our ideas or our core principles.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:43 PM   #113
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:07 PM
GOP, where do you live?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GOP_Catholic
That is all, we're now the majority, and we have no intentions of changing our ideas or our core principles.
...we are 60 million strong and we will not sit quietly in the closet anymore.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #115
The Fly

Quote:
If at any point these same-sex couples do wish to get married, they can create their own anything-goes country and issue their own licenses

See, but it wouldn't be an "anything goes" country... because discrimination wouldn't "go."
Old 11-05-2004, 09:59 PM   #116
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by EmilyBono

See, but it wouldn't be an "anything goes" country... because discrimination wouldn't "go."
Oh, so no discrimination, so in your country a 3 year old could drive a car, since age-discrimination is wrong.

And in your country, a handicapped blind person could become a surgeon, since we can't discriminate against the handicapped.

Just more liberal logic.... no wonder you folks lost with that logic on Tuesday
Old 11-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Not to play devil's advocate, but I thought Deists played a pretty hefty part in founding this country too (Not a deist myself, Church of the Brethren here).

Also, I personally believe the government shouldn't be involved with marriages at all. Some sort of codependence benefit, universal for any persons living together (including non-romantic relationships), perhaps. But marriage is a relgious institution, and is better staying that way. Just my .02.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #118
The Fly

Quote:

Oh, so no discrimination, so in your country a 3 year old could drive a car, since age-discrimination is wrong.

And in your country, a handicapped blind person could become a surgeon, since we can't discriminate against the handicapped.

Just more liberal logic.... no wonder you folks lost with that logic on Tuesday

Well, first of all, a 3 year old couldn't physically drive a car. Both of your examples would most likely harm people, and gay marriage wouldn't harm anyone. And to call liberals "You folks"... that just separates our country even more. It isn't faulty logic, it's not being prejudiced against someone for something they can't help (i.e., who they are attracted to). Why deny homosexuals the benefits of marraige when we get that right just because we happened to be born heterosexual? And also, it wouldn't really be "my country" because I'm straight. I guess I get to stay in America then - gee that seems fair for homosexuals.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #119
The Fly

yes Emily, you can stay, we'll need you to help us pack their Volkswagens
Old 11-05-2004, 10:13 PM   #120
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:07 PM
This is just pure hateful talk.