11 states vote on gay marriage - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

Nope. Ours does NOT conflict. YOURS actually diverges and sometimes is totally devoid of things, and sometimes is totally in conflict. I study the Bible, too, and I know what I have and know.

Really, the point is moot. Your verdict is wrong.

I am Christian.
Covering your ears and screaming "I'm right, you're wrong" is not discussion. I suggested that this go to a different thread when it came up. If you don't want to discuss the issue, that is fine

Old 11-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #92
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
This is the same thing. People think homosexuality is a sin therefore they shouldn't have this right. Well as soon as that line is crossed the next step will be well your religion is a sin therefore you shouldn't have that right. It's a dangerous dangersous line. Thanks George for putting it up there with everything else.
Indeed. Gays make up an estimated 1% of the population. Jews make up 2%. If you ask a Christian majority which religions are not the proper religions, what do you think would happen? And how would being Jewish in this case be any different than being gay? Both would be looked down as sinful by Christians. So what would be the difference?

Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

Indeed. Gays make up an estimated 1% of the population.
where?

at a klan meeting?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Both would be looked down as sinful by Christians. So what would be the difference?
Your portrayal of Christianity is off base here. Christian doctrine is that we are all sinful. There is no looking down at another.

A Christian is no better or worse than anyone else.

I think we are projecting one doctrine as a superiority complex of the Christian. That is the part of the Bible were Jesus says that He alone is the way to forgiveness of sins.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #95
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Your portrayal of Christianity is off base here. Christian doctrine is that we are all sinful. There is no looking down at another.

I agree with this 100%, so then why would one sin now make the law books and not others. Even if homosexuality is a sin, which I do not believe, why does it all of a sudden need to be a political issue. No one has shown me where two men or two women getting married hurts anyone.

Murder - obvious
Traffic laws - save lives
Robbery - obvious
Fraud - makes sense
Gays not being able to marry -

Religion does not nor should it determine our laws. So can anyone give me a reason for this?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:57 PM   #96
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:

Covering your ears and screaming "I'm right, you're wrong" is not discussion. I suggested that this go to a different thread when it came up. If you don't want to discuss the issue, that is fine
Old 11-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #97
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:

I AM A CHRISTIAN! THERE IS NOTHING TO DISCUSS...AND AS A CHRISTIAN I THINK IT'S VERY SAD THAT YOU SHOULD TREAT OTHER CHRISTIANS BADLY. That was my original point. At least I think it was think thread.

Ah well.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:59 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

i think you need to take a little break traveller. relax already.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #99
Refugee

Local Time: 03:20 AM
This thread is going MODERATELY well. nbcrusader has tried and succeeded in keeping his tone cordial, U2Traveller, if you can't do the same I suggest you take a break.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by mellyinsf

yes he was, he directly compared incest to gays.
Yes I did.

You, however, replaced "incest" with "a relationship between a father and his young daughter", when I intended it to refer to a consensual relationship between two biologically related adults.

I refer you to the thread "Religious Fanatics..." in this forum if you want to see me and The_Sweetest_Thing debate gay marriage.

If you want to see a far wittier defense of federalism and gay marriage laws, I refer you to

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldbe...berg070103.asp

Good day.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:50 PM   #101
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Yes I did.

You, however, replaced "incest" with "a relationship between a father and his young daughter", when I intended it to refer to a consensual relationship between two biologically related adults.

I refer you to the thread "Religious Fanatics..." in this forum if you want to see me and The_Sweetest_Thing debate gay marriage.

If you want to see a far wittier defense of federalism and gay marriage laws, I refer you to

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldbe...berg070103.asp

Good day.
ok two consensual adults. I do not see this as a problem in our society, I do not know of any relationships of this sort happening. There are however millions of gay people and thousands of children that have been abused by an adult in this country. Taking this arguement to obsure does not make a great argument.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:56 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

ok two consensual adults. I do not see this as a problem in our society, I do not know of any relationships of this sort happening. There are however millions of gay people and thousands of children that have been abused by an adult in this country. Taking this arguement to obsure does not make a great argument.
You are addressing the wrong point.

The point is that there are probably incestuous adult couples out there who desire a union. They might even be menopausal or gay, precluding the possibility of giving birth to deformed children.

Will you deny their union? If so, what is your principle for doing so? And how is it different from denying gays marriage?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:19 PM   #103
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

You are addressing the wrong point.

The point is that there are probably incestuous adult couples out there who desire a union. They might even be menopausal or gay, precluding the possibility of giving birth to deformed children.

Will you deny their union? If so, what is your principle for doing so? And how is it different from denying gays marriage?
I guess if there were millions of incestuous adult couples that wanted to get married I would have no right to deny them of what they wanted to do, HOWEVER this is such a ridiculous comparison because there are not millions. I doubt there are really very many at all. And I know no laws that ban a MAN and a WOMEN who are second cousins to marry. Am I wrong? Do you think 3rd cousins can marry, 4th, 5th?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I guess if there were millions of incestuous adult couples that wanted to get married I would have no right to deny them of what they wanted to do, HOWEVER this is such a ridiculous comparison because there are not millions. I doubt there are really very many at all.
I thought rights were not based on numbers. Therefor, in Speedracer's example, if only one incestuous adult couple sought to marry, they should be forwarded the right as well.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #105
The Fly

Quote:

I thought rights were not based on numbers. Therefor, in Speedracer's example, if only one incestuous adult couple sought to marry, they should be forwarded the right as well.
You're correct, rights are not based on numbers. They are based on freedom and equality--things that are enshrined in our Constitution. The Bible is completely irrelevant to any dicussion about the rights of US citizens. This is a secular country. There are very good reasons why close relatives should not marry. There are no good reasons--under our Constitution, not under any religious document--why consenting gay adults should not marry. To bring up incest is begging the question--it's a specious argument.