11 states vote on gay marriage - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2004, 12:38 AM   #346
The Fly

Local Time: 10:06 PM
U brought the Joy!

Quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulGirl
Gay Christians believe they already have Jesus's love. What we owe the Gay community is not Jesus's love, but the same respect and civil liberties the rest of us enjoy. Truth without love isn't truth at all and I fail to see the love in denying gays the rights everyone else has.
The Girl is full of Joy -- and reality check!

If we can get off "Science Class" and get back to the actual Gay rights issue, let's take a break and see some photos of the New York City Gay Pride Parade, traditionally led by the famous STONEWALL Rebellion Veterans' Association with the Mayor of NYC:

www.STONEWALLvets.org/parade/SW-35.htm

Old 11-20-2004, 01:13 AM   #347
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Ok that's your opinion but it doesn't dispell science.

I don't think anyone here is going to say abortion is beautiful or even good. But some belive it has to be a choice given to women in order to save lives and maintain. But abortion is not the issue. You are trying to make some crazy point where science is trying to debunk God. That's simply not true. Some use science to justify God doesn't exist, but other use science in coexistence.

It sounds like you are trying to dismiss it totally. If the Bible says dinosaurs don't exist then those bones are fake. That's what it sounds like to me.
I am willing to admit that most republicans will not take the same extreme as I do. It is a sensative subject matter, but being called anti-choice for my consciencious objection to the practice is where I draw the line. The anti-choice crowd are the terrorists who don't want us to live at all. Period.

Personally, I feel that sucking the brains out of an unborn is not the American dream, nor is it the purpose for science. I also feel that it's comparably as degrading to human life as the Holocaust.

If God is in fact pro-choice, he will have the final word in the matter. I believe that science and God can coexist when people have boundaries and a sense of morality. As much as I bash mad science, I believe in righteous science, but I also believe we could've left mad science behind years ago.

My general problem is that science has become God to many people in this country, and they're absolute on scientific philosophy, such as evolution. I'm deeply skeptical to anyone who believes that I have the moral values of a monkey, or say that my ancestors were nothing but monkeys. Do I stand alone?

Old 11-20-2004, 02:29 AM   #348
Refugee

Local Time: 03:06 AM
How does evolution mean you have the morals of a monkey?
Old 11-20-2004, 02:50 AM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
How does evolution mean you have the morals of a monkey?
Interesting question, and I will try to answer it accordingly.

I believe there are certain things about Darwin's theory that are in fact true, such as things might change according to their environment. Obviously though, when you sit right by an active volcano for 20 years, you're going to get hot. But that's not science, that's common sense.

But to say we came from apes is not only unbiblical, it's also unproven. Darwin is hailed as a god in our society for whatever reason. He sure wasn't right about everything. He said that smaller plants were simple celled. Now that we have righteous science, we discovered these small plants were complicated, with many cells. When mad science tells me that my ancestors were apes, that is bogus! This scientific "theory" is no greater than a philosophy that's worldly and most importantly, false.

I find evolution degrading to morality because humans are superior to the rest of the animals, and God gave us that privilage. Look at your family for a second. Do your older ancestors look any more like monkeys than you do? Humans were created in the image of God, and we have a few of his qualities, too. We are creative, artistic, and have a sense of purpose.

To defend my claim, if we were somehow almost impossibly created by some big bang baloney, arriving on planet earth, the only living, breathing planet that I know of so far, and... we were apes. How does this make us - the "intellectuals" smarter than what we were? What does Darwin say about our morality if he claimed we were apes? He is basically saying our lives are meaningless, that we should go ahead and get every STD out there, because we have no morals, and we should live by the moral standards of an ape! Hey everybody, let's act like apes, since according to Darwin, all our ancestors did was EAT BANANAS!

I for one believe we were created, not "big-banged" onto this planet that has the right temperature for us to survive for a lifetime. How can this be out of chance? The "chance" of this actually happening is less than one percent!
Old 11-20-2004, 03:13 AM   #350
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

#1: I've found that atheists are far more likely to be abusive, and many of them act immorally in front of their own kids. Take reality TV for example. They show the kind of behavior around kids that turns them into snobs when they grow up.

This doesn't apply to all of them, but some of them give me a bad impression.

#2: They can become god-fearing when they have the will to turn to God for help, and I've heard many stories about former gays who have turned their lives around.
No lie, I saw two different white folks pulled over yesterday for breaking traffic laws. I admit, I live downtown so I’ve seen a lot of them. But I've found white folks to be far more likely to break traffic laws. That doesn't apply to all of them, but some of them give me a bad impression. Take rich white folks for example, they show the kind of behavior around kids that turns them into snobs when they grow up. But they can become god-fearing when they have the will to turn to God for help (about their obvious traffic and snobbish problems), and I've heard many stories about former white traffic law violators and snobs who have turned their lives around.

God is not in a box
Old 11-20-2004, 03:22 AM   #351
The Fly

Quote:
Homosexuality is not something that every gay person is born with. Our teen girls for example choose to experiment with the same sex out of peer pressure. Being black is something that you should be proud of, although every black was born that way, not EVERY gay, bi, transgender, etc.
Heterosexuality is not something that every straight person is born with. Our teen girls for example choose to experiment with the opposite sex out of peer pressure. No ?
Old 11-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #352
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme

Take rich white folks for example, they show the kind of behavior around kids that turns them into snobs when they grow up.
I couldn't agree more, but wealth doesn't always result in snobby kids. However, I won't ignore the idea that money often makes people think they have it all. I think that in a reasonable family that just so happens to be wealthy, the money could go towards college, a car to drive, a future home, and to charity.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #353
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme

Heterosexuality is not something that every straight person is born with. Our teen girls for example choose to experiment with the opposite sex out of peer pressure. No ?
I can't be certain, but I'm willing to agree with you. These girls who might think (or know) that they're attracted to the same sex will most likely get peer pressure to go for the opposite sex. Although this is a contradiction, it will probably make sense to 95% of the people reading.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:24 PM   #354
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:06 PM

Your explanation of evolution is funny, but your blindness to the fact that someone is making fun of your unfounded generalizations is hilarious.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #355
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Your explanation of evolution is funny, but your blindness to the fact that someone is making fun of your unfounded generalizations is hilarious.
Let's see you explain it better.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

It has caused America's Abortion Holocaust,
Saying that science has caused an abortion "holocaust" is just beyond offensive and the debate for me has thus ended right here.

Plenty of people had abortions with coat hangers and various herbs long before there was anything called high science.

This argument is total bullshit.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #357
Refugee

Quote:
You guys are all about laughing at each other (not in a good way) in this thread now?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #358
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

First of all, thanks for everyone who managed to keep it together for an awful long time in this thread. Not too bad--24 pages.

But since the thread has now derailed and cools are being respectively lost, I think it's time to give the topic a rest now.

Ciao until the next gay marriage thread--which is, of course, inevitable.

Join Amnesty.