11 states vote on gay marriage - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I just don't understand how it can be something one 'disagrees' with. Can you imagine someone saying to you that they disagree with your being heterosexual?? It's like saying, I disagree with cats being cats. Or I disagree with trees being trees. Homosexuality is not something one does, it is something one is.
God created man, and said that man must not be alone. That's in the first book, Genesis. To me, The Bible is the most influential book of all time, and it's still very relevant in modern society. I follow that book because life is an obstacle that we should overcome, and I find the truth in it. Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #287
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Where did you get this fact from? There have always been gay people, just not as visible as they are today.
Maybe people have always been, but the overexposure to the culture is sending the wrong message to youngsters who are trying to find themselves, and already feel as outcasts to society. Look at our high school girls for example. They're already "experimenting" with the same sex, just for popularity. I do agree, there could have always been gay people, but not very many. I do believe that God says it's wrong. Look at what happened to Sodom and Gommorrah. (Genesis 17)

Old 11-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I must question this: If people are in fact born gay, why didn't we know about it 50 years ago, and why are there more gays now than ever before? Not a hate statement, just a logical argument.
There are lots of things that we know now that we could not have even dreamed of 50 years ago, especially in terms of genetics. So what that we didn't know that people were 'born gay' 50 years ago? We know now that it's not a 'choice' or a 'lifestyle' any more than heterosexuality is. Better late than never.

Why are there more gays now than ever before? Because there are more people on this earth now than ever before. And, society has to an extent, allowed gay people to have a voice, to speak and to be heard. A small but crucial step.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:01 AM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Maybe people have always been, but the overexposure to the culture is sending the wrong message to youngsters who are trying to find themselves, and already feel as outcasts to society. Look at our high school girls for example. They're already "experimenting" with the same sex, just for popularity. I do agree, there could have always been gay people, but not very many. I do believe that God says it's wrong. Look at what happened to Sodom and Gommorrah. (Genesis 17)
It's the over-sexualization of young girls and women that's contributing to this trend--a la Britney Spears. Not so much Will and Grace.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Quote:
God created man, and said that man must not be alone. That's in the first book, Genesis. To me, The Bible is the most influential book of all time, and it's still very relevant in modern society. I follow that book because life is an obstacle that we should overcome, and I find the truth in it. Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.
Well I happen to interpret the story of Adam and Eve as symbolic of the anima and animus within all of us so for me personally it is completely meaningless in any discussion about homosexuality. I'm not sure how my post elicited your response about there being more hate in this forum for a Christian than for a rapist.

edited to add: I do respect that the Bible is your source of truth, but as it is not mine or everyone else's, it's just very very difficult to have this discussion when it keeps coming back to the Bible.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:18 AM   #291
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

It's the over-sexualization of young girls and women that's contributing to this trend--a la Britney Spears. Not so much Will and Grace.
Exactly.

And I don't think high school girls experimenting with the same sex is even a "gay" issue...its done to please straight males who think its hot.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:20 AM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Not to mention the fact that girls are becoming sexual earlier due in part to hormones in foods.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:25 AM   #293
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.
Please tell me you're joking.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #294
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.
As a conservative Christian who frequents FYM, I find no basis for the comparison.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:34 AM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:35 AM
let's also not forget that "gay" is a modern word, even a Western word. you can go to countries across the middle east where pretty much no one would self-identify as "gay." however, a much, much higher percentage of the male population in many of these countries happily have sex with other men but would never identify as gay, even if they are engaging in homosexual "acts." sexuality, and how one self-identifies in deference to sexual orientation often changes depending upon cultural expectations and norms. Western society, on balance, and to it's great credit, has allowed same-sex attraction to create it's own culture with it's own language, expectations, rules, signs, signifiers, and politics -- like *any* other culture, be it Jewish, black, catholic, or suburban mom -- that we now call "gay."

it's like the difference between sex and gender. sex is waht you were born with, gender is how you act.

hetero/homosexual is your orientation. gay is how you identify.

there may be more gay people now because they have cultural options they once didn't, but the percentage of homosexuals hasn't changed at all since ... well, forever.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:49 PM   #296
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:

I must question this: If people are in fact born gay, why didn't we know about it 50 years ago, and why are there more gays now than ever before? Not a hate statement, just a logical argument.
Why are you contradicting yourself? You use the Bible to say homosexuality is wrong yet now you say it's only been around for 50 years?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #297
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
The Bible is the most influential book of all time, and it's still very relevant in modern society.
I follow the book too, and no one has ever shown me anything that contradicts what I believe. Not everything in the Bible is God's law or came out of Jesus' mouth. Most theologeans would agree that there is "man's" law written into the Bible.

Quote:

Wow, your hate is thick.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:43 PM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

Please tell me you're joking.
I'm willing to admit that was an overreaction.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:47 PM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

I agree. If Britney wants to become a positive role model for her crowd, she needs to grow up. However, there's a lot of peer pressure to "experiment" with the same sex among teenage girls, and in my view, it's because our culture is so unrestricted, and so liberal as a whole.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I wonder too?

And why are there so many more Negroes and other minorities than there were 50 years ago.

Look at all the old movies, and early t v shows and your parents school class pictures if you don't believe me.