11 states vote on gay marriage - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2004, 03:12 PM   #181
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 AM
I fixed it for you, Irvine. At least I hope that's how you wanted it.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:12 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Why is it that people always defend gay marriage with all this talk about if two individuals love each other, they should be allowed to marry?

What if a man loves a pig, or what if a man loves a five year old boy? I just don't see it going in the right direction.
Why do people always bring up farm animals and children into discussions about the rights of consenting adults to marry? I just don't see it going in the right direction.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:13 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

oops - I posted while pax was posting - sorry.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:15 PM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Why is it that people always defend gay marriage with all this talk about if two individuals love each other, they should be allowed to marry?

What if a man loves a pig, or what if a man loves a five year old boy? I just don't see it going in the right direction.

because 5 year old boys and pigs are unable to consent to an adult relationship. and these constant comparisons between homosexuality and bestiality and pedophilia (the latter two of which are crimes, precisely because they comprise an abusive relationship between adults and either animals or children) are offensive in the extreme.

it's so depressing. i've never committed a crime in my life, i've never hurt anyone in my life, all i've done is have two (count 'em, two) adult relationships with members of my gender, and i have to hear both in this forum and on the floor of Congress (thank you Sen. Santorum) these relationships compared to pigs and children.

part of me wants to say "go fuck yourself" but i realize that's destructive too and precislely the wrong message. i should say "let's have a beer and talk" and you'll realize that whatever heterosexual relationships you have are very nearly the same as the homosexual relationships i've had and neither of the two has the least bit in common with crimes like beastiality and pedophilia.

so, let's have a beer and talk.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:16 PM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
I fixed it for you, Irvine. At least I hope that's how you wanted it.

exactly right. thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #186
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

because 5 year old boys and pigs are unable to consent to an adult relationship. and these constant comparisons between homosexuality and bestiality and pedophilia (the latter two of which are crimes, precisely because they comprise an abusive relationship between adults and either animals or children) are offensive in the extreme.

it's so depressing. i've never committed a crime in my life, i've never hurt anyone in my life, all i've done is have two (count 'em, two) adult relationships with members of my gender, and i have to hear both in this forum and on the floor of Congress (thank you Sen. Santorum) these relationships compared to pigs and children.

part of me wants to say "go fuck yourself" but i realize that's destructive too and precislely the wrong message. i should say "let's have a beer and talk" and you'll realize that whatever heterosexual relationships you have are very nearly the same as the homosexual relationships i've had and neither of the two has the least bit in common with crimes like beastiality and pedophilia.

so, let's have a beer and talk.

Santorum is the one who ought to be ashamed of himself. This PA voter can't wait until he's up for reelection and we can replace him with someone who's NOT a self-satisfied, smarmy bigot.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

True what you said Irvine-having a beer and talking would be so much more positive, though I can't blame you for wanting to say the other thing.

I just can't understand why you should have to answer questions like this-I don't have to answer them about my attraction towards men, and neither do any heterosexuals that I know.

I hope you won't be discouraged from posting here-your posts are informative and thoughtful.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:10 PM   #188
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I just can't understand why you should have to answer questions like this-I don't have to answer them about my attraction towards men, and neither do any heterosexuals that I know.

This has always bugged me, too. As a heterosexual female, in fact, sometimes I have no damn clue as to why I'm attracted to men. Sometimes I think it'd be a whole lot simpler if I weren't.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

I sincerely believe that in a hundred years, children will be sitting in school, reading about the blatant bigotry and discrimination experienced by homosexuals and wonder who these bigots were and how it was possible they were allowed to do what they did. Much in the same way we wonder now how it is possible that people had to sit in the back of the bus and drink from separate water fountains.

I hope for people like yourself that we get there a lot sooner than a hundred years.

Nobody's equal until everybody's equal.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier

thanks for the kind words.

i've been coming to interference for years, since back before the Pop album. i've only recently started posting, and i can't get enough. both for the people i agree with, and especially for the people i don't. with a few exceptions -- that GOP_Catholic, for example -- those with different opinions express them well, and respectfully, and it's always a great exercise to have write out a coherent response. your own thinking gets both sharpened and expanded. what more could you ask for?
Old 11-12-2004, 07:54 AM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I sincerely believe that in a hundred years, children will be sitting in school, reading about the blatant bigotry and discrimination experienced by homosexuals and wonder who these bigots were and how it was possible they were allowed to do what they did. Much in the same way we wonder now how it is possible that people had to sit in the back of the bus and drink from separate water fountains.

I hope for people like yourself that we get there a lot sooner than a hundred years.

I live in a gay-friendly town and forget sometimes that the rest of the country doesn't have gays and lesbians walking down the street holding hands like we do. My best friend, a gay man, recently moved back to Georgia where he's from and is actually having to conceal his sexuality from his conservative, corporate, colleagues. I find that absolutely shocking and disgusting and realize how naive I still am.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:55 AM   #192
Refugee

Quote:

I really think though, that the same benefits that are allocated to 'marriage', e.g. the tax, insurance, retirement benefits that are normally reserved for a spouse, should be opened to anyone, not pending any sexual relationship, like a sibling, son/daugter, uncle, and yes, a close friend.

This is where some people might like to see these benefits to a pet, NO KIDDING! You probably know some people out there that honestly would - I'm not insuating a sexual relationship here.

So, it's a real question, where do we draw the line?

We've honored the idea that the mom/dad family is best for children, so we give advantages to those who strive for that. Maybe we should stop that all together, but it does open the door for some interesting progressions away from traditional marriage.

Haven't heard much about how this would open up the whole polygamy thing. Islam and LDS both have sects that would want to press this. They would like to spread these same 'rights'/benefits to mutliple people who they consider their spouses. So, you do it for one, what's so bad about two? I would demand it if I were them.

So, I personally would like to keep it the way it is, and not open the door, out of fear that the whole family idea would disentgrate over the next 50-100 years. Maybe there is not a problem with that, and as a people all would be fine (no real established mother father relationships, just a looser definition). Maybe?

I dunno.

Mark
Old 11-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #193
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I've raised this a few times in my RS lessons - you just have to look at how black people were discriminated back in the Malcolm X/MLK time, and how most people look back at the treatment of them now in disgust. Of course, this isn't to the same extreme, but it's just blatant prejudice wrapped up in bow.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #194
Refugee

Local Time: 04:42 AM
I don't think homosexuals could fuck up marriage anymore than heterosexuals have.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:25 AM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
I don't think homosexuals could fuck up marriage anymore than heterosexuals have.
if you think about it, who would be better at marriage than lesbians? they are the most monogamous "group" out there. i bet allowing lesbians to marry would lower the divorce rate.

there's an old joke:

what does a lesbian bring to a second date?
a U-Haul.

what does a gay man bring to a second date?
what second date?

humor, people, just some humor. and if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?