11 states vote on gay marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apoligize if any of you thought my last post sounded like "venting," but I still think I have a point.

Irvine511 said:
can someone please, please, please tell me what the "gay lifestyle" is? because the people who know the most about it don't seem to be gay.
The practice where two members of the same gender are in a love connection rather than a friendship. When a man seeks another man for a romantic partner, same goes for women. This does not have anything to do with the drag queens, although a few have gone that route.

Renne said:

Of course you do. But everyone else does to, so you do unserstand that this doesn't make your point any better or worse than anyone elses. :shrug:
Of course not. I was basically apologizing if my post came off as venting or arrogant.

Gay lifestyle?

Irvine511 said:
can someone please, please, please tell me what the "gay lifestyle" is? because the people who know the most about it don't seem to be gay.
Why would someone who is openly Gay -- at least on the non-divulging internet -- ask: what is the Gay lifetstyle? There are endless variations. Just look in the mirror! :wink:

See some pix from the NYC Gay Pride Parade:
www.STONEWALLvets.org/parade/SW-35.htm

Macfistowannabe said:
The practice where two members of the same gender are in a love connection rather than a friendship. When a man seeks another man for a romantic partner, same goes for women.

So you don't agree with people being in love? I guess you also believe that homosexuals CHOSE to be attracted to their own sex. That for some reason they chose the route to be ostercised and hated.

Re: Gay lifestyle?

Stonewall said:

Why would someone who is openly Gay -- at least on the non-divulging internet -- ask: what is the Gay lifetstyle? There are endless variations. Just look in the mirror! :wink:

See some pix from the NYC Gay Pride Parade:
www.STONEWALLvets.org/parade/SW-35.htm

i'm with you -- it was a bit of a rhetorical thing. i hear that phrase all the time, "gay lifestyle," and i'm curious to know what the details of that. it's not a term i'd ever use, and i don't consider my lifestyle -- pretty much work, talking to friends at bars, reading books -- to be particularly "gay." it's just me.

the point, of course, is to show that there is no "lifestyle," just people man, just people.

Re: Re: Gay lifestyle?

Irvine511 said:

i don't consider my lifestyle -- pretty much work, talking to friends at bars, reading books -- to be particularly "gay." it's just me.

Oh, that wild gay lifestyle.... :lol:

Re: Re: Re: Gay lifestyle?

joyfulgirl said:

Oh, that wild gay lifestyle.... :lol:

well, i do occasionally get drunk. and sometimes i dance, but i don't believe dancin's a crime ("Footloose" taught us that). i've also been known to go on dates with other men. we go to dinner and talk and sometimes to a movie ... ker-azzzzyyy stuff.

Dutch Partygirl said:
I'm very curious about what some people here would do if one of their children turned out to be gay... Just a question...
I would try my hardest to love them the same, even if I would rather have the dream of a traditional, procreational marriage. I would still respect differences with their partners, but I would feel similar to how I feel in this forum, that I can't express why I disagree with homosexuality without getting a bad rap for having a different view.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So you don't agree with people being in love? I guess you also believe that homosexuals CHOSE to be attracted to their own sex. That for some reason they chose the route to be ostercised and hated.
Hated? No. I believe in something called unconditional love, but I also believe in unconditional truth. I must question this: If people are in fact born gay, why didn't we know about it 50 years ago, and why are there more gays now than ever before? Not a hate statement, just a logical argument.

Macfistowannabe said:
but I would feel similar to how I feel in this forum, that I can't express why I disagree with homosexuality without getting a bad rap for having a different view.

I just don't understand how it can be something one 'disagrees' with. Can you imagine someone saying to you that they disagree with your being heterosexual?? It's like saying, I disagree with cats being cats. Or I disagree with trees being trees. Homosexuality is not something one does, it is something one is.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gay lifestyle?

Irvine511 said:

well, i do occasionally get drunk. and sometimes i dance, but i don't believe dancin's a crime ("Footloose" taught us that). i've also been known to go on dates with other men. we go to dinner and talk and sometimes to a movie ... ker-azzzzyyy stuff.

Sounds frighteningly similar to my ker-azzzzyyy straight girl life.

Macfistowannabe said:
I must question this: If people are in fact born gay, why didn't we know about it 50 years ago, and why are there more gays now than ever before? Not a hate statement, just a logical argument.

Where did you get this fact from? There have always been gay people, just not as visible as they are today.

joyfulgirl said:

I just don't understand how it can be something one 'disagrees' with. Can you imagine someone saying to you that they disagree with your being heterosexual?? It's like saying, I disagree with cats being cats. Or I disagree with trees being trees. Homosexuality is not something one does, it is something one is.
God created man, and said that man must not be alone. That's in the first book, Genesis. To me, The Bible is the most influential book of all time, and it's still very relevant in modern society. I follow that book because life is an obstacle that we should overcome, and I find the truth in it. Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.

Bono's American Wife said:

Where did you get this fact from? There have always been gay people, just not as visible as they are today.
Maybe people have always been, but the overexposure to the culture is sending the wrong message to youngsters who are trying to find themselves, and already feel as outcasts to society. Look at our high school girls for example. They're already "experimenting" with the same sex, just for popularity. I do agree, there could have always been gay people, but not very many. I do believe that God says it's wrong. Look at what happened to Sodom and Gommorrah. (Genesis 17)

Macfistowannabe said:
I must question this: If people are in fact born gay, why didn't we know about it 50 years ago, and why are there more gays now than ever before? Not a hate statement, just a logical argument.

There are lots of things that we know now that we could not have even dreamed of 50 years ago, especially in terms of genetics. So what that we didn't know that people were 'born gay' 50 years ago? We know now that it's not a 'choice' or a 'lifestyle' any more than heterosexuality is. Better late than never.

Why are there more gays now than ever before? Because there are more people on this earth now than ever before. And, society has to an extent, allowed gay people to have a voice, to speak and to be heard. A small but crucial step.

Macfistowannabe said:
Maybe people have always been, but the overexposure to the culture is sending the wrong message to youngsters who are trying to find themselves, and already feel as outcasts to society. Look at our high school girls for example. They're already "experimenting" with the same sex, just for popularity. I do agree, there could have always been gay people, but not very many. I do believe that God says it's wrong. Look at what happened to Sodom and Gommorrah. (Genesis 17)

It's the over-sexualization of young girls and women that's contributing to this trend--a la Britney Spears. Not so much Will and Grace.

Macfistowannabe said:
God created man, and said that man must not be alone. That's in the first book, Genesis. To me, The Bible is the most influential book of all time, and it's still very relevant in modern society. I follow that book because life is an obstacle that we should overcome, and I find the truth in it. Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.

Well I happen to interpret the story of Adam and Eve as symbolic of the anima and animus within all of us so for me personally it is completely meaningless in any discussion about homosexuality. I'm not sure how my post elicited your response about there being more hate in this forum for a Christian than for a rapist.

edited to add: I do respect that the Bible is your source of truth, but as it is not mine or everyone else's, it's just very very difficult to have this discussion when it keeps coming back to the Bible.

Last edited:
dandy said:

It's the over-sexualization of young girls and women that's contributing to this trend--a la Britney Spears. Not so much Will and Grace.

Exactly.

And I don't think high school girls experimenting with the same sex is even a "gay" issue...its done to please straight males who think its hot.

Not to mention the fact that girls are becoming sexual earlier due in part to hormones in foods.

Macfistowannabe said:
Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.

As a conservative Christian who frequents FYM, I find no basis for the comparison.

let's also not forget that "gay" is a modern word, even a Western word. you can go to countries across the middle east where pretty much no one would self-identify as "gay." however, a much, much higher percentage of the male population in many of these countries happily have sex with other men but would never identify as gay, even if they are engaging in homosexual "acts." sexuality, and how one self-identifies in deference to sexual orientation often changes depending upon cultural expectations and norms. Western society, on balance, and to it's great credit, has allowed same-sex attraction to create it's own culture with it's own language, expectations, rules, signs, signifiers, and politics -- like *any* other culture, be it Jewish, black, catholic, or suburban mom -- that we now call "gay."

it's like the difference between sex and gender. sex is waht you were born with, gender is how you act.

hetero/homosexual is your orientation. gay is how you identify.

there may be more gay people now because they have cultural options they once didn't, but the percentage of homosexuals hasn't changed at all since ... well, forever.

Macfistowannabe said:

Why are you contradicting yourself? You use the Bible to say homosexuality is wrong yet now you say it's only been around for 50 years?

Macfistowannabe said:
The Bible is the most influential book of all time, and it's still very relevant in modern society.

I follow the book too, and no one has ever shown me anything that contradicts what I believe. Not everything in the Bible is God's law or came out of Jesus' mouth. Most theologeans would agree that there is "man's" law written into the Bible.

Macfistowannabe said:

Personally, I think there is more hate for a conservative Christian on this thread than there is for a rapist.

Wow, your hate is thick.

dandy said:

I agree. If Britney wants to become a positive role model for her crowd, she needs to grow up. However, there's a lot of peer pressure to "experiment" with the same sex among teenage girls, and in my view, it's because our culture is so unrestricted, and so liberal as a whole.

Macfistowannabe said:

I wonder too?

And why are there so many more Negroes and other minorities than there were 50 years ago.

Look at all the old movies, and early t v shows and your parents school class pictures if you don't believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom