100 Year Old Celebrates Birthday by Smoking a Cigarette - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Originally posted by the iron horse

Julia Child (passed on at 92)

>More butter....
Maybe if we post enough exceptions it will become fact.

I know a man that survived a bullet to the head, so I really don't think bullets kill.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Originally posted by the iron horse

Can you count me as a friend?

A tobacco smoking friend?

*only in moderaration, of course

Julia Child (passed on at 92)

>More butter....

since i'm not near you, i can't smell the nicotine on your fingers and breath, but i can smell the insecurity in these posts.

you should quit. you'll feel better and live longer and not be so stinky.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #33
Local Time: 08:39 AM
'This ain't a city, it's a gosh damned arms race.."

Ahem. I smoke. I personally get really tired of the non smokers lecturing the heck out of me every time I light one. I'm often tempted to say, "I smoke because you bother me."

I personally have no desire to live longer. For what purpose? Chances are good, that even if I didn't smoke, I'd die at about 68 at the latest, considering my family history of lovely colorectal and other lovely digestive tract issues.

But hey, if I quit smoking and live longer, I'll get to enjoy those things. :thumbsup: Brilliant!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:39 AM
People who smoke are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease or dementia than nonsmokers or former smokers, according to a study in the current issue of “Neurology” magazine.

The study, conducted in the Netherlands, followed 7,000 people age 55 and older for an average of seven years.

During that time, 706 of the participants developed dementia. Smokers were 50 percent more likely to develop dementia than people who never smoked or quit before the study started.

A 2006 analysis of 19 similar studies reached the same conclusion, according to the March issue of the American Journal of Epidemiology.

Those studies measured a combined 26,374 participants who were followed from two to 30 years.

Dr. Monique Breteler, the author of the recent study, said smoking increases the risk of disease in the brain’s blood vessels, increases oxidative stress which damages cells and can lead to hardened arteries.

Breteler said similar damage is seen in Alzheimer’s patients. She said oxidative stress can be eliminated by antioxidants, but “smokers have fewer antioxidants.”
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #35
New Yorker
Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 08:39 AM
for her!

I say.....she's 100 years old.....she's a hellova lot older than alot of people and seen alot more than we'll probably see in our lives. Let her smoke!