100 People Who Are Screwing Up America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Golightly Grrl said:
We should come up with our own list of people who are ruining America.

Yes. I vote for Tom DeLay as one of the biggest ruiners, who's currently trying to "slip $1.5B giveaway to the oil industry, Halliburton, and Sugar Land, Texas," through a last-minute amendment to the energy bill. And the amendment was added after the Energy Conference closed. Nice, back-door porking...

Here's the official letter from the Dems protesting:

http://www.democrats.reform.house.gov/Documents/20050727165629-26334.pdf

Some of what the letter says:

"The provision was inserted into the energy legislation after the conference was closed, so members of the conference committee had no opportunity to consider or reject this measure.

"The subtitle appears to steer the administration of 75% of the $1.5 billion fund to a private consortium located in the district of Majority Leader Tom DeLay. Ordinarily, a large fund like this would be administered directly by the government."

[Copying this info. item from: http://thinkprogress.org/2005/07/27/delay-dirty-tricks/#comments]

Last time i checked, at least Al Franken and Norman Mailer weren't giving away billions of taxpayer funds to some of the richest energy companies in the world.

Last edited:
pax said:
I'd like to know how a woman (Eve Ensler) who has written a groundbreaking piece of theater and has perhaps done more than any other popular figure (save Tori Amos) to combat rape, domestic violence, and the sex trade of women worldwide is "screwing up America."

Oh, wait, because she dares to make people say "vagina" out loud and in public! Of course!

:|

I looked at the book in B& N yesterday..he mentions a line in the monologues, something about a girl being raped by an older woman and saying something like "at least it was a good rape". I haven't seen that play so I'm not familiar w/ the dialogue.

He basically implies that Eve promotes "man hating".Of course promoting certain things for and about women automatically = man hating to some people

One sort of funny part -he has Larry David's wife in there, I guess she yells at people when she sees them driving SUV's..then he points out how she takes Gulfstream jets everywhere

The part about President Carter confused me. I'd have to read it again, not that I want to :wink:

I looked at the book in B& N yesterday..he mentions a line in the monologues, something about a girl being raped by an older woman and saying something like "at least it was a good rape". I haven't seen that play so I'm not familiar w/ the dialogue.
That particular piece of dialogue was revised.

The part about President Carter confused me.
Trips to Cuba rubber stamping the election of Hugo Chavez etc.

I loved this book. There is actually a mention of Bono on page 15 (He dropped the f-bomb on an award show). The author is imagining what it would be like to have gone to sleep in the 50's and then wake up today and switch on the TV. Imagine your shock at the vulgarity, profanity and lack of civil discourse. Of coarse to us this has been a slow slide into the muck so we hardly notice. The people who make the list of 100 are those that contribute to this lowering of standards and are the first to call anyone who objects "a prude".
Now myself, I'm too old to be shocked by anything I see or hear. But I am truly saddened that the world of music today is filled with such talentless, shallow, uncreative jerks. Did I mention talentless? You can hear more soul in one Otis Redding song, more riffs in one AC/DC song, more melody in one Beatles song, more harmony in one Beach Boys song, and more truth in one Bob Dylan song, than you could listening to radio today for a month. That's the sad truth...and I seem to have strayed a bit off subject so I'll stop. Except to say that it's crap served up as meaningful art that offends me. How about this for a book, 100 people that have helped kill rock n roll. The idiot that invented sampling might be #1.

A_Wanderer said:

Trips to Cuba rubber stamping the election of Hugo Chavez etc.

And that's ruining America how?

I've been to Cuba as have most people I know. So I guess we're also contributing to the downfall of the empire down south, LOL.

I didn't say that they were good reasons; but I guarantee you that the reason he makes the list is because of that.

I think you made a good point, Indy. Talent, skill, and passion mean so little in the music industry today. Yea, a few really great bands and singers get some airplay and recognition, but it seems like it's all sex appeal and image rather than actual musical talent. If Barbra Streisand and Aretha Franklin were trying to get their start today, I doubt they would get a recording contract because they don't look and act like pole dancers.

Yes, Go Grrl. It's sad because each generation needs it voices, but today we hear mostly the deep thoughts of jailbait lip-synchers and criminals with microphones.
The standards are being lowered indeed.

Back
Top Bottom