100 People Who Are Screwing Up America - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Jimmy Carter???

Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Yes, Jimmy Carter is pure evil

That list is funny, the only one that jumped out at me w/ a quick glance was Dennis Koslowski (or however you spell that) now that I agree with. White collar criminals like that are screwing up this country

Why isn't Martha Stewart on that list?

Eve Ensler? He must have a problem w/ The Vagina Monologues

Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
here is no. 9

Quote:
Jonathan Kozol is an educator and author of nonfiction works which focus on the issues of race, poverty and education. His books include Death At An Early Age, Savage Inequalities, Amazing Grace, Illiterate American, and Rachel and Her Children.

In 1964, Jonathan Kozol moved from Harvard Square into a poor black neighborhood of Boston and become a fourth grade teacher in the Boston public schools. He has devoted the subsequent three decades to issues of education and social justice in America.

Death At An Early Age, a description of his first year as a teacher, was published in 1967 and received the 1968 National Book Award in Science, Philosophy and Religion. Now regarded as a classic by educators, Death At An Early Age sold more than two million copies in the United States and abroad.

From the start, Kozol combined teaching with activism. Working with black and Hispanic parents, he helped set up a number of freedom schools in storefronts and church basements and later taught at South Boston Senior High School during the city's desegregation crisis.

In subsequent years, Kozol grew increasingly concerned about the large numbers of adults he met in very poor communities who could not read. In 1980, the Cleveland Public Library asked him to design a literacy plan for the nation's large cities. His plan became the model for a major effort sparked by the State Library of California. The book that followed, Illiterate American, became the center of a national campaign to spur federal and private action on adult literacy.

A few days before Christmas, 1985, Mr. Kozol spent an evening at a homeless shelter in New York. Night-long conversations with the mothers and children who befriended him led him to remain there for much of the winter. Out of that experience came Rachel and Her Children: Homeless Families in America, a powerful portrait of the day-to-day life struggle of some of the poorest people in America -- living only one block from Fifth Avenue within our nation's richest city.

When Rachel and Her Children was published in 1988, Newsweek called it "bitterly eloquent." The Los Angeles Times called it "compelling, moving, eloquent... an extended tour of Hell." The New York Times said the book was "a searing indictment of society." The author, said the Chicago Sun-Times, is "today's most eloquent spokesman for America's disenfranchised."

Rachel and Her Children was awarded the Robert F. Kennedy Book Award for 1989 and The Conscience in Media Award of the American Society of Journalists and Authors.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Fucking drivel...I can think of at least 50 people that didn't make the list that are doing more harm than this list, some of which are liberals and some conservatives. One of which is the author of this book.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #20
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 AM
I'd like to know how a woman (Eve Ensler) who has written a groundbreaking piece of theater and has perhaps done more than any other popular figure (save Tori Amos) to combat rape, domestic violence, and the sex trade of women worldwide is "screwing up America."

Oh, wait, because she dares to make people say "vagina" out loud and in public! Of course!

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax

Oh, wait, because she dares to make people say "vagina" out loud and in public! Of course!

That can be devestating to a country...
Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
to list
Old 07-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax

Well some men are uncomfortable with the word.

(I The Big Lebowski.)
Old 07-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Well some men are uncomfortable with the word.

(I The Big Lebowski.)

and a man will so casually refer to his cock, or his rod, or his Johnson...

don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 05:16 AM
How does Courtney Love have more influence on our culture and it's supposed downfall than say, most politicians (or, hell, celebrities that people actually CARE about)?

And geez, when Barbra Streisand opens her mouth I think most people, liberal and conservative, tend to run in the opposite direction. Does she actually influence anyone to her way of thinking?

All of which are points that Jon Stewart more or less pointed out with greater success.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonfix
How does Courtney Love have more influence on our culture and it's supposed downfall than say, most politicians (or, hell, celebrities that people actually CARE about)?

And geez, when Barbra Streisand opens her mouth I think most people, liberal and conservative, tend to run in the opposite direction. Does she actually influence anyone to her way of thinking?
exactly...as Jon said, "Barbara Streisand hasn't ruined a culture since Yentl!"
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonfix
More people keep up on celebrity news than political news. I bet more people know Courtney Love over any member of the Supreme Court.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Courtney Love's washed up.

TomKat, however...
Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

More people keep up on celebrity news than political news. I bet more people know Courtney Love over any member of the Supreme Court.
If that's true, our culture does have a problem, and it's nothing to do with Courtney Love.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
without feeling as if we're somehow inherently superior...

...but I do think that's our downfall. Not only should we believe that conservatives are evil and corrupt children, we should believe that our values are superior and that all inferior ideologies should be annihilated.
With all due respect, it was always the liberals - and especially the American ones - who have touted their horn how much greater they are than everyone else because of their ideas of equality and freedom.

Well take a look what liberals have reached in the course of the last, say 215 years, since the French revolution. It´s not that fucking great. Your record is BAD. Get it? Arguably you haven´t prevented any war (we don´t need to speak about the current one), millions of Americans are still umemloyed and living on the street, there are geat social injustices in your oh-so-free liberalism.

So do me a favour and spare me the arrogant liberal tradition of mocking everything else. It was English liberals who did the East India Company, it was liberals who were all for robbing other countries´resources - the conservatives wanted to stay in their little nice home cage and rip the farmers (and later the workers) off like they always had, but the liberals made it to a "everyone on this big beautiful globe has the equal right to be betrayed".

If you believe your values are superior - one of the worst mistakes of many liberals, who are just interested in patting each others shoulders - for what, inquiring minds want to know - instead of changing the unjust system (but rather supporting it) take a closer look. They aren´t. If they were, the liberals didnt have time to wank off about how great they are every single day.