10 Things for the USA to be Proud Of - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

They don't want real solutions. They just want some feel-good band-aid that looks good for the newspapers and fails in reality. That's because people thrive in elitism. How would Beverly Hills feel if Compton had the same quality schools? People say they want equality, but when it comes to actually doing something to attain it, they steadfastly oppose it.

In terms of equality in school funding, states could easily gather funds at the state, rather than local level, and distribute per-pupil funds evenly. But, after all, that would mean that rich Beverly Hills would be no better or worse in funding than poor South Central LA. And how could we live with ourselves if we weren't better than somebody?

Melon
You're either (1) stating falsehoods because you are not familiar with the local situation and action being taken to address it or (2) you are lying because you don't want Southern politicians to be seen for doing something good.

The current Governor made it a platform topic even before he announced his candidacy that Alabama's tax structure is immoral due to the burden it places on the poorest Alabamians and that the same tax structure does not apply education dollars where they are need the most int he poorer districts.

Why would he be doing this for a photo op or feel good measure if, right now, just over 6 months into his administration, he is pretty much DOOMED from being re-elected because of an unpopular tax reform plan? If I have ever seen a politician who wants REAL SOLUTIONS at the expense of pop appeal, it is Governor Riley. Guess what? Two chairmen of the State Republican Party, (the past chair and the current chair), have opposed his plan; the chairman of the state Democratic Party, a former U.S. Prosecutor, fully SUPPORTS the Governor's plan; the Business Council of Alabama supports it; Alabama Power Company supports it; Alabama Arise, a lobbying/advocacy group for the state's poor, supports it; The "Christian Coalition of Alabama" opposes it; the United Methodist Church conferences support it; the Episcopal Diocese supports it; the state Southern Baptists Convention supports tax reform in general; the Alabama Farmers' Federation opposes it; the timber interests oppose it.

Look, I've really been getting tired of politicians and politics in general these days, but I do think some positive measures are being taken to enact PERMANENT solutions for Alabama's Black Belt. As much as I despise him, I must give credit to the previous Governor for directing a new Hyundai plant to the region; the jobs are needed there; more and more jobs are needed there. What you may see as "feel-good band-aid" can be more than that if you direct thousands of jobs to the part of the state with the highest unemployment rates, and if the state economic structure is made fairer. Rather than slap everything down that is achieved, look at the positive potential of it. Life will be much more pleasant.

~U2Alabama

Old 07-09-2003, 11:39 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Zonelistener:

Legislation to provide economic assistance to the Black Belt region has been gaining momentum over the past few years, but I must admit that it started to move faster when this series was published and another series was published in the BIRMINGHAM POST HERALD (although the latter series is no longer online).

~U2Alabama

Old 07-10-2003, 10:08 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

They don't want real solutions. They just want some feel-good band-aid that looks good for the newspapers and fails in reality. That's because people thrive in elitism. How would Beverly Hills feel if Compton had the same quality schools? People say they want equality, but when it comes to actually doing something to attain it, they steadfastly oppose it.

In terms of equality in school funding, states could easily gather funds at the state, rather than local level, and distribute per-pupil funds evenly. But, after all, that would mean that rich Beverly Hills would be no better or worse in funding than poor South Central LA. And how could we live with ourselves if we weren't better than somebody?

Melon
My own very rich and very Democratic hometown of West Bloomfield, MI has been consistently opposed to such measures for as long as I can remember.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:38 PM   #49
The Fly

Grandness

I think the big difference between the USA and other states/countries is that we like to advertise, which is always misleading, much in the way the new laundry detergent is not really "new and improved" , but the same old crap. We tend to say one thing and do another, which is easily refelected in our social lives and workplace politics. These things may exist elsewhere, but I think we are the most grandiose. i love my country, but we should all be careful when our fellow citizens suggest ideas that simply perpetuate the status quo, rather than offering any significant change as an alternative.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:40 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

The current Governor made it a platform topic even before he announced his candidacy that Alabama's tax structure is immoral due to the burden it places on the poorest Alabamians and that the same tax structure does not apply education dollars where they are need the most int he poorer districts.

Why would he be doing this for a photo op or feel good measure if, right now, just over 6 months into his administration, he is pretty much DOOMED from being re-elected because of an unpopular tax reform plan? If I have ever seen a politician who wants REAL SOLUTIONS at the expense of pop appeal, it is Governor Riley. Guess what? Two chairmen of the State Republican Party, (the past chair and the current chair), have opposed his plan; the chairman of the state Democratic Party, a former U.S. Prosecutor, fully SUPPORTS the Governor's plan; the Business Council of Alabama supports it; Alabama Power Company supports it; Alabama Arise, a lobbying/advocacy group for the state's poor, supports it; The "Christian Coalition of Alabama" opposes it; the United Methodist Church conferences support it; the Episcopal Diocese supports it; the state Southern Baptists Convention supports tax reform in general; the Alabama Farmers' Federation opposes it; the timber interests oppose it.

~U2Alabama

This is true. I didn't even support this guy's campaign, but I support the tax reform package that all of these right-wingers are screaming about. I've read letters written by these people to the newspapers ad nauseum. They don't want to live up to their civic responsibilities, so they are hiding behind a bunch of moralistic as an excuse. You'd have to be here to believe some of this . I'm tired of these idiots holding my state hostage against any kind of progress or change. We've managed to get more jobs and more help for the poorest citizens of our state, and that's a great development. I can't believe these people who are actually against this. It's awful.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:22 PM
you know what would be an interesting comparison thread: 10 things USA Would Not Admit...

(I'm a cynic when it comes to nationalism/blind patriotism, etc. )

But I don't feel like brewing trouble.

lates,
Old 07-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
First off, I wasn't even commenting on Southerners. The reason why I used California for an example is because it was something that could be universally recognized, perhaps. This is neither a North, South, East, West, or Midwest problem solely. They ALL have this problem. The problem is both the result of politicians looking for political expediency and voters who refuse to look at issues beyond two words: "tax cuts."

I am not familiar with your governor beyond what you have mentioned about him, but I commend him for being courageous enough to make such a stance. Few governors, Republican or Democrat, would have enough guts to make a case like that.

Melon
Old 07-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
My own very rich and very Democratic hometown of West Bloomfield, MI has been consistently opposed to such measures for as long as I can remember.
I actually had Michigan in mind when I wrote this rant, so I am in agreement with you.

Melon
Old 07-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thank you Melon, and I apologize for misinterpreting your original post. Apparently you and I agree in our general views of politicians of all parties, regions, etc. I guess I m just glad to see one doing something that will make this state a better place 5 years from now for all of the citizens instead of doing what he thinks will get him re-elected in 3 years.

~U2Alabama
Old 07-10-2003, 10:11 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One other thing which I forgot to mention but that I think is relevant in this thread concerns two of Alabama's U.S. Congressmen and their reaction to President Bush's $15BB African AIDS initiative.

Many of you are aware that Congressman Spencer Bachus (Republican from Vestavia Hills) was one of the initial sponsors of the debt relief campaign led by the Jubilee organizations and preached by Bono; Congressman Bachus even took Bono around Capitol Hill and introduced him to other Senators and Congressmen, and worked through both the Clinton and Bush administrations to get the debt legislation passed.

Therefore, I expected Bachus to be jubilant and supportive when President Bush announced the $15BB initiative for the African AIDS crisis. I expected the same of Alabama's Democratic African-American Congressman, the freshman Artur Davis from Birmingham. Although they said they would ultimately support the initiative, they said they could not do so in good conscience without knowing that something would be done for the local epidemic in Alabama's Black Belt region. Fortunately, they have gotten support for the region and help is on the way (as I have stated), but I do think it is possible for politicians, maybe a small minority of them but from either political party, to do the right thing.

~U2Alabama
Old 07-11-2003, 11:08 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

1 thing for the USA not to be proud of:

George W. Bush
Old 07-14-2003, 06:28 PM   #57
Babyface

Local Time: 01:22 AM
UN Human Development Index Released - Norway is #1;

The United Nations Development Programme released their Human Development Report 2003 . Surprisingly, Canada suffered, falling below the U.S. for the first time to #8 in this year's list. For the seven years prior to 2001, Canada was #1.

The top twenty are:
1: Norway (1)
2: Iceland (5)
3: Sweden (2)
4: Australia (4)
5: The Netherlands (8)
6: Belgium (4)
7: U.S.A. (6)
8: Canada (3)
9: Japan (9)
10: Switserland (11)
-
11 Denmark,
12 Ireland,
13 Britain,
14 Finland,
15 Luxembourg,
16 Austria,
17 France,
18 Germany,
19 Spain
20 New Zealand

hdr.undp.org/

go eat your freedom fries and shush
Old 07-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:52 PM
it's sad to see canada so far down

that was something we used to always turn to if someone ragged on us

"my dad can beat up your dad",

"oh yeah; the UN said we're the best country in the world to live in"
Old 07-15-2003, 05:03 AM   #59
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:22 AM
Wow 70% of the top 20 are european countries i must admit i'm a little surprised