10,000 Meloniacs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Happy 10,000th, melon.

I have a couple of questions...

What, roughly, do you see yourself heading towards with your work at this point in your life? I have looked at your (very impressive) website before, so I have some sense what kinds of things you've done, but I more mean what your dreams for it all are. Do you hope to always be working in multiple mediums and taking on all kinds of topics? or do you hope at some point to 'settle' in one particular medium and focus on some particular type of theme or creative project? or neither?

And also, since you've been here longer than just about anybody, the inevitable...: do you have a favorite FYM memory, a thread or interchange that stands out especially fondly in your mind? (Could be pre-FYM too, I guess...I'm pretty sure the forums weren't always broken down in quite the same way they are now.)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 11:37 AM

Hi Melon.

We've driven each other to more than once, but I have snickered to myself when you've taken down someone I disagree wth.

It does sting a bit when I'm the one getting taken down, though.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
What, roughly, do you see yourself heading towards with your work at this point in your life? I have looked at your (very impressive) website before, so I have some sense what kinds of things you've done, but I more mean what your dreams for it all are. Do you hope to always be working in multiple mediums and taking on all kinds of topics? or do you hope at some point to 'settle' in one particular medium and focus on some particular type of theme or creative project? or neither?
Sorry for the belated reply. My life has been very hectic since I wrote this originally!

It's difficult to answer this initial question, because I'm grappling with issues of "desire" versus "feasibility." In an ideal world, however, I'd like to be someone like Michel Gondry, who has successfully made ads, music videos, and movies that have been both artistically and commercially relevant. I don't have any intention of directly imitating him (or anyone else, for that matter), as I have plenty of ideas of my own.

As long as I feel artistically and intellectually stimulated, I think I'll be satisfied. Of course, at the stage of my career, I certainly haven't achieved that yet. It is my intention to completely overhaul my website when I am ready to start applying for new jobs, as I feel like my existing sites are quite outdated and no longer cutting edge.

Quote:
And also, since you've been here longer than just about anybody, the inevitable...: do you have a favorite FYM memory, a thread or interchange that stands out especially fondly in your mind? (Could be pre-FYM too, I guess...I'm pretty sure the forums weren't always broken down in quite the same way they are now.)
For the record, FYM has existed here since the beginning, unless it was added sometime between June and October 2000 when I joined. One of the most interesting things about FYM, probably, is in how little it has changed. A lot of the "hot button issues" then are still issues now. Probably the most interesting thing I've noticed, however, is how the issue of "government" has completely flip-flopped between liberals and conservatives. When Clinton was still in office in 2000, conservatives were certainly paranoid about government intrusion into their lives; whereas ever since Bush has been in office, they've been more than happy to have him enact the exact kind of anti-privacy measures that they were deadly afraid of Clinton doing. Likewise, just as liberals trusted the government during the Clinton Administration, they certainly want nothing to do with the government now. I shall certainly be interested in seeing if passions "flip" again if a Democrat is elected in 2008.

As for an individual thread, I must admit that they're all kind of a blur these days, but I'm probably the most proud of my religion threads. Just as I aim to inform others of non-fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible that do not involve the classic trap of intellectual laziness ("Let's just ignore that verse," etc.), it has also been a cathartic process for me, as I've tried to reconcile my lifelong, rather unconventional beliefs with a very "conventional" world.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Hi Melon.

We've driven each other to more than once, but I have snickered to myself when you've taken down someone I disagree wth.

It does sting a bit when I'm the one getting taken down, though.
If anything, I have quite strong opinions on many subjects, but I rarely let those differences translate to a personal grudge. The latter usually happens not from mere disagreement, but from people who I think are particularly irrationally stubborn and/or hate-filled.

Don't worry. I don't consider to you be either.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

If anything, I have quite strong opinions on many subjects, but I rarely let those differences translate to a personal grudge.
Don't worry. I don't consider to you be either.