1 in 4 Teenage Girls Has An STD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1 in 4 Teenage Girls Has An STD

INDY500 said:

100% agreement.

If only that was the message our culture was sending our children.

Beyond the physical consequences of pregnancy and STDs, there are the very real emotional and pressure related problems of sexualizing children at a younger and younger age.

i agree as well.

but i blame not culture, but capitalism.

sex sells like nothing else. whether it's movie tickets or diet coke.

Pearl said:
Romeo and Juliet

What does that have to do with the thread, Indy?

I thought Vincent made a good point about age and how society has changed in that regard. Juliet being but 13.

Of coarse you can read about past attitudes regarding child labor in Oliver Twist.

in regards to the vastly higher rates of STI amongst african-american teens, i found this article fascinating, and it's also an insight as to what specific communities tend to be more at risk for certain diseases.

[q]So what do we do about all of this? What's clearly not the answer is to tar black kids as sexually reckless. In fact, CDC studies show them to be relatively responsible. Federal and state health officials work together every two years to survey high school students about the wide range of risks they take in everyday life, ranging from riding bikes without helmets to snorting coke. And they ask about sex—how often the students do it, under what circumstances, and with what precautions.

It's true that black youth report more active sex lives than their peers. They're more likely to have ever had sex, to start by age 13, and to have multiple sex partners in their lifetime. But among all students who report having sex, black youth are less likely to do so in ways most people would consider risky. They are more likely to use condoms. They are far more likely to be sober when they have sex. And they are far more likely to get HIV tests.

One compelling theory explaining this disconnect between taking risks and getting infections is that blacks have smaller sexual networks than whites—we choose our sex partners from within tight-knit social circles. Thus, once an infection is introduced into the circle, be it HIV or HPV, it spreads more quickly. Another, similar theory is that widespread prevalence spawns wider spread prevalence—as one AIDS activist puts it, the more sharks swimming in my section of the water, the more likely I am to get bitten.

But ultimately, all of these sexual health studies add up to more questions than answers about black youth sexuality. We know far more about the troubling outcomes of sex than we do about the range of inputs. What drives sexual choices? How are they made and under what emotional and mental circumstances? When young people don't choose condoms, why don't they? We've established there's a problem. Let's start having an honest, and urgent, conversation about what's behind the problem.

http://www.theroot.com/id/45277

[/q]

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1 in 4 Teenage Girls Has An STD

Irvine511 said:

i agree as well.

but i blame not culture, but capitalism.

sex sells like nothing else. whether it's movie tickets or diet coke.

Sex does sell and we need to teach our adults, who teach our teens, to not buy into it.

Is there a non-capitalist nation that you know of that has this under control?

Oceania is well underway in extinguishing the orgasm.

I much prefer to retain the freedom to buy into it, or not.

Back
Top Bottom