Off Fish: My dog is a window licker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cat licks our laundry basket.
I had no idea that washing powder and fabric softener were so tasty!:scratch:

383623579_894d33594d.jpg

Sicy said:

IMG_5818.jpg

I dont have one of her licking the window, as this was the other and obviously she is not still licking the window... Not that that needed clarifying, but you know.
:shifty:

Has anyone else used the expression window licker before? It means a 'special person'. Hell, that is my mutt Sally even without licking windows.
:(

I've wondered what makes cats do that, Mandy. Mine used to, too.

Angela Harlem said:
Has anyone else used the expression window licker before? It means a 'special person'.
:hmm: No, never heard it, maybe it's an Aussie thing. I don't really understand how the two ideas are connected though?

I've never heard of a dog licking windows before, although Falstaff has been known to lick people's hands up to 200 times in one session. Now that he's had a stroke and the lower left side of his face is paralyzed, it doesn't work out so well--he has to lift his head completely between each lick to pull his tongue back up for another go, but he still determinedly plugs away at it anyhow. Maybe with Sally (who looks adorable in that photo, BTW) it was just a bit of curious-puppy-mouthing-everything behavior. Also sometimes when their adult teeth are still growing in and their gums ache, they'll lick random stuff just in order to get some saliva flowing and soothe it a little.

My old cat and dog used to lick the wrought iron on the fire place! I heard it was because of a mineral defiency but i'm not sure.....maybe your dog is practising on "how to pash on " with a certain special dog in his/her life!!:shrug:

My Dachshund tries to lick people's legs. If you sit on the couch, he'll jump up on your lap and even try to push your pant legs up so he can get to your legs. We're trying to gently break him of this habit. But the poor baby came from an abusive home before we got him and this is just one of many little quirks.

fly so high! said:
My old cat and dog used to lick the wrought iron on the fire place! I heard it was because of a mineral defiency but i'm not sure.....maybe your dog is practising on "how to pash on " with a certain special dog in his/her life!!:shrug:

the only other dogs in sally's life are lilly - who's like the old matriarch of the family. she's a cranky old thing and hates all dogs. she tolerates people, mainly because we provide food (and my sister gives her a queen sized bed to sleep on), and sky - who is an ex show dog and is as camp as a row of tents. he's too pretty to be straight. he's the perfect dog. gorgeous, sweet, loving, loyal, calm, and just wonderful. but of course he is gay. the best ones are always gay.
:sad:

animals are the best.
:heart:

Regina Filangie said:
My Dachshund tries to lick people's legs. If you sit on the couch, he'll jump up on your lap and even try to push your pant legs up so he can get to your legs. We're trying to gently break him of this habit. But the poor baby came from an abusive home before we got him and this is just one of many little quirks.

That's interesting... our middle 'child', Chance, was also rescued by Mr. Blu & I from an abusive home. I've never considered that as having anything to do with what we refer to as his 'licker problem' - he'll lick the hide off your arm, hands, feet, whatever if you don't stop him! - but I wonder now that you've mention it if there's some kind of connection??? :hmm:

BluRmGrl said:

That's interesting... our middle 'child', Chance, was also rescued by Mr. Blu & I from an abusive home. I've never considered that as having anything to do with what we refer to as his 'licker problem' - he'll lick the hide off your arm, hands, feet, whatever if you don't stop him! - but I wonder now that you've mention it if there's some kind of connection??? :hmm:

We mentioned the licking to our vet. She said it's a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that is very likely caused by past trauma.

Back
Top Bottom