It's Officially - How NOT To Plan A Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You bet we are talking about group peer pressure. I think some people think they will be giving an inferior gift if it is not $$$$$$$$$. I'm not saying I agree with it but that is how it seems to be

shari schultz said:
You bet we are talking about group peer pressure. I think some people think they will be giving an inferior gift if it is not $$$$$$$$$. I'm not saying I agree with it but that is how it seems to be

But why play the game?

Dunno. I was working for Oxfam when I married and for my bridal shower I was given an "African Bridal Gift" ie a blank receipe book where everyone hand wrote in their favourite receipe. I still have it. Its one of my most treasured possessions.

I guess its who you hang with. Most of my friends are in the social justice industry or permanent students or just general hippies.

It's sad. To me they lose the real meaning of the event. I have always told my mother that if I ever get married it will be in shorts and a t-shirt that reads "bride" on it. The groom will be wearing a shirt that reads "groom" on it. The music will be Jimmy Buffet. This just drives her crazy.

shari schultz said:

I agree.

I went to a great shower where you were told what gift you had to bring: your favourite recipe and some of the ingredients or utensils required to make it. The rules: you are not allowed to spend more than $20. It was so much fun, the best part was that my friend, was and still is a lousy cook.

shari schultz said:
It's sad. To me they lose the real meaning of the event. I have always told my mother that if I ever get married it will be in shorts and a t-shirt that reads "bride" on it. The groom will be wearing a shirt that reads "groom" on it. The music will be Jimmy Buffet. This just drives her crazy.

I love wedding like this...

Can I come, I'll bring a gift:laugh:

fah said:

I agree.

I went to a great shower where you were told what gift you had to bring: your favourite recipe and some of the ingredients or utensils required to make it. The rules: you are not allowed to spend more than $20. It was so much fun, the best part was that my friend, was and still is a lousy cook.

That sounds like a blast!

beli said:

Whatever. Are registries new to the US? I wouldnt even be having this conversation in Aus. (Not a criticism. Just trying to get my head around this thread)

No, registries have been around in the US for as long as I can remember but in the last 10 years or so, weddings have turned into these massive, stress filled extravaganzas where people try and see how much "loot" they can collect...some people even plan their guest lists based on who gives good presents.

And baby showers are just as bad. Its a shame really.

And on the subject of gift openings...we did have one but it was very casual with immediate family sitting around the living room watching us open the gifts. We probably had pizza and beer if I can remember back that far!

Haha. I agree with beli. I didnt before my wedding, but after 6 weeks of people ringing constantly to say "what do you guys want/need? help us out please [whine whine]" I did a little survey and even the most old fashioned of reli's all jumped at the idea of a gift registry. So off we went to Grace Bros (Now Myer) and spent a fun filled day picking about 100 items priced between $10 and $50, with a few big items as per advice from the staff. Most of the list was bought in the end and I was surprised a lot of people bought a few things off it to make a bigger present. We didn't get any doubles and a few gifts which weren't on the list anyway.

In short, I dont think the problem is with registries per se, but the lack of readiness for a wedding and more importantly marriage - which it sounds like your colleague is. Not to pass judgement, which I have just done, but they aren't ready if they are putting laundry soap on their list. SOLVOL costs $3 from a supermarket for craps sake.
:slant:

nbcrusader said:
Scary, I just noticed the baby clothes on the list. I know they will have a child within 1 year, but I doubt they started this fast.
:eek: :tsk:

Isn't that what baby showers are for?? Or am I just getting hit up for presents at every conceivable 'shower' one can create...?

Are you trying to be punny??? Baby shower--- Every conceivable shower :lol:

Last edited:
jkayet said:
:eek: :tsk:

Isn't that what baby showers are for?? Or am I just getting hit up for presents at every conceivable 'shower' one can create...?

Nup, not here at least. We tend to wait til we're up the Duff before asking people for booties and bibs.
I think I have too many male hormones or something. I detest baby showers and kitchen teas etc. It seems all the female's voices raise about 3 octaves and suddenly everyone is an expert on either babies and child birth (like any 2 births are ever the same :rolleyes: ) and marriage and cooking tips.
Give me a bucket... or send me down to the pub with the fellas.
:grumpy:

I didnt have a baby shower with my first child and Im not having one with this one either. I have been to one once, and it was boring as bat shit. Play the Make a Sentence Out of the Babys Name game, guess the weight, etc, crap, etc.

I usually just give the new parents a slab of butt wipes when the baby is born. Most new Mums think this is weird,....... until they get their "little poo machine" home.

I buy bulk bibs. They look at me sideways and say 'gee, thanks....' until the little shit machine is home and then they say it again and mean it.

shari schultz said:

A lot of Perth people fly to Bali and get married in a sarong on the beach. My sister is going to do that. Most people in Perth go to Bali for a honeymoon anyway so it saves a lot of money/hassle

Angela Harlem said:
I buy bulk bibs. They look at me sideways and say 'gee, thanks....' until the little shit machine is home and then they say it again and mean it.

:lmao:

I lurve watching the people who buy size 0000 clothes cause they are so cute and tiny. Unfortunately size 0000 is only useful for about a week and a half. What a waste of money. Size 0000 clothes are the white platters of baby showers.

beli said:
Hey maybe the brides pregnant and thats why they are getting married so fast? :ohmy:

Not likely - it would not be acceptable in their church. But I know they will start trying from the honeymoon forward.

it's always good to start to have a baby right away when you get married quickly and very young. Damn I am behind, i'm 21 with no kids or husband :huh:

Back
Top Bottom