It's Officially back to the Fuchsia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
A Brooklyn homeowner has given his multimillion-dollar Park Slope brownstone a fresh coat of hot-pink paint - and that's got outraged neighbors seeing red.
"It's just over the top," said Riva Rosenfield, 67, who lives directly across the street from Bernie Henry's pink palace on Garfield Place.

"It's not my favorite color," added Thad Russell, 41, who lives two blocks away. "I guess it's nice to see diversity, but I'm glad there aren't more of them."

Corcoran real estate broker Paul Zumoff said the brownstones on the block are valued as high as $3 million and that Henry's house, which has three apartments, could fetch that much "so long as it can be restored."

One neighbor said Henry told her the building has 13 rooms.

Park Slope writer Leon Freilich was inspired to pen a poem titled "The House on Garfield Place" that was published in The New York Times on Monday.

"The brownstone just around the corner, now sports a brilliant fuchsia flair, alarming dogs and stopping traffic, on foot, on wheels and in the air."

Henry, 90, said he doesn't understand why his neighbors are upset. He first slathered on the glossy pink in 1968 - five years before the city designated the area a historic district. He said the current hue on his 105-year-old house is more or less a match of what it was when his wife, Viola, told him to paint it 40 years ago.

"When I went to get the paint, I thought it was the same [shade], but it came out a little different," said Henry. "But what could I do? I bought $4,000 worth of paint."

Not everybody on the block hates Henry's house. "Everyone who walks by stops to gawk," said David Alquist, 52, who lives across the street. "One mom told her kid, 'No, you can't eat it.' I think the kid thought it was frosting." Joe Phillips, a teacher who works nearby, said the house is pretty in pink.

"To me, it's fine, it's different," he said. "He isn't doing what everyone else is doing, which is what I like about it."

Love the pink or hate it, Henry is not in trouble with the city Landmarks Preservation Commission because the fuchsia facade was grandfathered in when the district was established in 1973.

I'm trying to upload the picture but am having issues w/ it.

My favorite part: "One mom told her kid, 'No, you can't eat it.' I think the kid thought it was frosting." Joe Phillips, a teacher who works nearby, said the house is pretty in pink.

Back
Top Bottom