its officially a stupid grammer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
yes i used "its" inproperly on purpose :D

and spelled grammar wrong too..

(blank) is my favourite band.

or

(blank) are my favourite band??

does it depend on whether you're saying something singular or plural? or are bands considered to be a singular thing...

example:

the strokes. you're going to make that plural. because the strokes is my favourite band sonds wierd. (they're not my favourite band by the way, i just happened to be listening to them)

but if you've got a singular noun, do you consider it plural cos there are multiple people in the band?

I vote that The Strokes ARE my favorite band, whereas Pink Floyd IS my favorite group. If it helps, you could replace MY with A so that you can get an idea which is correct. For example, "Pink Floyd is a favorite band of mine."

Course now that you have me sitting here thinking about it, they both sound odd. Thanks alot! :tongue:

Last edited:
heh...sorry bout that...

i've been wondering about this for a while...my best friend keeps emailing me trying to debate this...

i said something in some thread in the past hour that was probably wrong...i said something like "the band were...", which sounds terribly wrong now that i think about it...

:laugh: You want a grammer debate? Try the old "Billybob and I" versus "Billybob and me" discussion :crack: :no: :yikes: Must people believe that you should always use "and I" but that is a :shame:. erhm, I'm kinda feeling like a nerd now :shifty:

that's an easy one, it all depends on whether it makes grammatical sense when you take out billybob

billybob and i went to the store. i went to the store, not me went to the store.

jane told billybob and me a story. jane told me a story, not jane told i a story.

Thank gawd I'm not the only one who thought that was a no brainer. Just try explaining that to some college classmates of mine who are going into journalism :coocoo:

Cleasai said:
:laugh: You want a grammer debate? Try the old "Billybob and I" versus "Billybob and me" discussion :crack: :no: :yikes: Must people believe that you should always use "and I" but that is a :shame:. erhm, I'm kinda feeling like a nerd now :shifty:

Yes! That is my biggest pet peeve!!!

Oh, and I agree with Cleasai about the bands.

my biggest pet peeve is when people spell a lot, alot :angry:

Last edited:
i like grammar. :reject:

Even though I never make an effort for proper usage in posting, emails, msn...no wonder my writing has gotten worse! Somehow I see these areas as exempt, but I've realized they are probably 80% of the daily writing i do... :eek: I'm gonna have to rethink my policy...

jkayet said:
i like grammar. :reject:

Even though I never make an effort for proper usage in posting, emails, msn...no wonder my writing has gotten worse! Somehow I see these areas as exempt, but I've realized they are probably 80% of the daily writing i do... :eek: I'm gonna have to rethink my policy...

:eyebrow:

"Is singlely a word?"
"Are you conversating?"

;)

Blank(being singular as one band, IS my favorite band.
They(being more than one band member)ARE really good:huh:

Back
Top Bottom