It's Officially a shotgun wedding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
So my brother-in-law (BIL) announced yesterday that he is getting married on Friday morning. I have a few concerns, mainly that he is an unemployed 31 year-old computer geek that met his bride-to-be online several months ago. She is from Australia (yesh!), a very sweet girl, like having Olivia Newton-John around the house ;) She is living w/ my BIL at my in-laws house, and she and BIL sit at computers set perpendicular to each other and play games all day! (My BIL was a tester for EverQuest until a few months ago).

So BIL is in Michigan, and collecting California unemployment, however that has come about, and that is the money that they live on (not much). She has been in the U.S. for about 6 weeks and has to go back to Australia very soon (not by choice) - it sounds like they are getting married now just so she can get back in to the States more easily the next time she comes back.

We are going to witness the ceremony with the Justice of the Peace on Friday a.m., do a nice family-only dinner in the afternoon, then send them to a nice hotel in downtown Detroit for the night. We are having a 'reception' at my in-laws house on Sat p.m.

Any ideas for how to make/do something else nice for them on such short notice? :scratch:

Wow. Congrats to them! Short notice indeed lol.
One thing that might be a nice present, especially if she is going to have to come back to Oz soon would be booking them into a professional photographer and have a sitting done. It would be nice for them to each have a photo like that to keep where ever until citizenship etc is sorted out. Unless you're getting photos done already for the wedding in which case it might be silly lol.
Fwiw, here it takes 5 years to clear immigration even with a marriage certificate, it sounds as difficult as America.

Good luck to them!

When my computer nerd nephew got married, I gave them a big modern wall clock with a note attached... "to mark the beginning of your time together". At least they don't have as many excuses for being late now.

Aww that's a really cute idea najeena! :yes:

Gosh Angie - had no idea it was going to be that much of a headache - hope they know....

And yes Doug, my sis-in-law and I are taking her out Thurs night for a girl's night (not so much a bachelorette party) to get our nails done and we'll do her hair and make-up for her on Friday. :up:

We should end up with some decent wedding photos, my father-in-law is a professional photographer who hates to be in photos himeself, we'll be lucky if we can get him to set up the timer on the tripod for him to be in a picture or two!

Whoa...sounds a bit whirlwind, doesn't it? Hope it all goes well, and be sure to post pics Beth!

BTW - Najeena, that's teh kind of gift I'd need! (*always late*)

and :lol: BLS at the Olivia Newton John reference. Better hope she doesn't start singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" at the ceremony....:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom