It's Officially #a crime pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
person in my office:
3375465523232%7Ffp6%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D568%3D663%3Dxroqdf%3E232339454944%3Aot1lsi

why....why do you not know who joe mccarthy is?

*breaks out history badge despite the fact that my final on it was yesterday, i will bust my knowledge once again*

je mccarthy was a senator from wisconsin in the 1950s. [you will all remember that wwii had ended in 1945 (or if you didn't, wwii ended in 1945, reference V-E and V-J days {5/8/45 and 8/14/03 respectively}) and americans and the soviets weren't friends anymore because the soviets were communist. and since that's not democracy, clearly it's wrong. so in the 1950s the cold war started.] back to joltin joe......so he was a staunch anti-communist. alger hiss, former state department beaureaucrat, was found to be a communist. so mccarthy went on communist rampages "finding" communists all over the federal government. most notably, he created the red scare in hollywood, creating a blacklist of actors like lucille ball who were labelled as communist and therefore couldn't work. mccarthy accused everyone of being communist, it was a lot like the salem witch trials, you didn't have to *do* anything to be hunted down by mccarthy and co. he said he knew of 200+ communists working in the federal government, then as reporters kept asking the numbers kept dwindling -150, 87, 49..etc. he ruined hundreds of political careers and reputations. all in all he actually only identified one communist - alger hiss, who had admitted to being one in 1950.

now. mccarthy was a nut. he did nothing progressive but create a massive -and unfounded- fear of communism in america.

Back
Top Bottom